Topic: NGD x 2! I won one of Roscoe's Guitars!

Wow - another new guitar day - twice in the same week! Lucky me!!! And more importantly, I am the proud winner / owner of one of Roscoe's guitars!

There was a charity event at the London Bus Pub tonight including the CD release of Roger's tribute album of David Bowie tunes and the official unveiling of Deb's mural. The evening's funds were donated to the Wounded Warrior Project and included a raffle for various prizes. Several kind folks donated various pieces of art, CD's, crafts, gift baskets, etc to be raffled off. The best prize offered was one of Roscoe's guitars - a 12 string Kingston he said is older than I am.

The way it worked was you bought your tickets and placed the matching ticket into a bag of the item you hoped to win. I put all of my tickets in the Roscoe Guitar bag - it was the last raffle of the night and I won!

I don't know much about it other than that it is a Kingston and is 50 years or so old. Roscoe had converted it to a 6 string (replacing the nut), so i gave it to Roger to change the nut and saddle and convert her back to a 12. I don't imagine it is worth much, but the fact that it is Roscoe's means I will cherish it always. Roscoe was there and said he was very pleased that I was the one to win it - that meant a lot to me- you'd have to know Roscoe to understand.

I don't have a pic of the actual guitar, but it looks just like this.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Vintage-Kingston-Acoustic-12-String-Guitar-Teisco-Harmony-Silvertone-Kay-Era-/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/P-YAAOxydB1SoNUP/$_57.JPG

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: NGD x 2! I won one of Roscoe's Guitars!

Great how fortunes can change. Suddenly from the loss on one to the acquisition of two. Looking forward to photos of the actual one and a report on how she plays (nice to see a zero fret, so the action will be nice and low).

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Holy crap Jeff. Just think of the stage mojo that thing's goingvto have!

Pass along a hearty thanks to Bee Rad for supporting Wounded Warrior. That is a terrific charity.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Sweet.  I haven't seen a Kingston since the 80s. And I have definitely never seen a 12 stringer. Great prize.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

That's great Jeff.  I'm happy for you bud

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

looks like your luck has changed,good for you and happy ngd.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Some guys have all the luck,, glad it was you buddy~

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Congrats!!!!!

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Way to go man!

Here is a few pics the old Kingston 12 string I won in a raffle at The London Bus Pub a few weeks ago. Roger Banks fixed her up a bit converting her back to a 12er after being changed to a 6. Had a little ceremony tonight where the original owner, 88 year young Roscoe Jones was gracious enough to pen his name on it. It will always be treasured just for that alone. Roscoe says this guitar is older than I am - imagine the mojo that lives in her. I'm thinking of tuning her to open D and learning some slide guitar blues. Gotta dig that pick guard pattern!

https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1535670_10202774464872884_433226636_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1390703_10202774465312895_1063402334_n.jpg

11 (edited by dino48 2013-12-23 01:27:06)

nice!!! The zero fret should make the neck really easy too do barre chords,B and F chords. My Espana 335 copy has one and it makes things easy and fast.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

God bless Roscoe and God bless Roger. You've got a good group of folks. You can tell a lot about people by the company they keep, and if that was the only thing I knew about you, I'd still think well of you.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf - You are absolutely correct. I had no idea years ago when I first volunteered to be a chordie moderator that I would ever have the opportunity to meet, (let alone play along with) such fine folks. Getting to know Toney in person and being introduced to his friends (most of whom are fine musicians) - wow I never expected that. Just as getting to know You, Wayne, Amy, Paul, Chris, Toots, BGD, Beamer, Astro, Roger, Ken (and whoever else I am leaving out)- all amazing musicians and more importantly, great human beings - I am blessed for sure. That's what makes chordie such a great place!

Awwwww, I think its a collective blush smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Thats awesome Jeff. I feel ya about Chordie. Never imagined the awesome people I would be honored to meet. A cherished guitar, I can tell. Enjoy the mojo!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Great guitar, Jeff - well done! I've been lucky enough to meet you and Roscoe!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Great guitar and a wonderful prize to cherish.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"