Topic: Under Saddle Pickups vs Soundhole Pickups

My acoustic guitar has an under saddle pickup with equaliser, volume control and tuner and although satisfied with the tone, I have always thought it to be a little sharp or thin so I tried out a Seymore Duncan sound hole pickup and I was impressed with the way it warmed the tone. Also I get a lot of feedback when I raise the volume on the guitar using the under saddle pickup and have to use a rubber sound hole blocker which helps a bit. The soundhole pickup I tried has 3 models and the tone ranges from warm and rich to crisp and clear. Just thought I would pass this on for anyone else having problems.

Re: Under Saddle Pickups vs Soundhole Pickups

I have a black Duncan sound hole pick up and really like it, my sons guitar has the under bridge I am guessing since its a A/E.

I like both, although the EQ's Presence on the A/E does not seem to do much.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I have  a  Seymore Duncan  single coil woody  on one  of my  acoustics  and I  find the  out put  a  little  low  compared  to  my  peizo   equipped  acoustics (no  pre  amp or  tone  circuit )but   its  not    really  a  problem as I  rarely use it  live .The  sound  however  is  good .

I have always liked the under the saddle pickups myself.  I could always put a sound hole cover in if feedback was a problem. I have always used Fishman Gold pickups and really like the tone.  Just the pickup, No onboard EQ you set that on the amp or mixer. I recently added a compressor pedal between the guitar and mixer and I get a super warm tone , lots of volume and no feedback issues and I don't need the sound hole cover.
In the end go with what you like best. That one thing that makes the sound your own.

Joe

I forgot to mention that when I do use my woody humbucker, I also use a compressor / sustainer, as mentioned its a nice warm tone + it also acts as a pre-amp / boost.  I run that with any acoustic to amp set up.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I can tell you I've tried several different types, under saddle, internal microphones and sound hole. From my experience the sound hole is the best by far, as long as you don't mind having something permanently (or semi permanently) mounted. I particularly like the Fishman Rare Earth humbucking PU. It gives amplified tone as close to the guitar's natural acoustic tone as I've found, so if you're acoustic tone is naturally bright or has a naturally strong bottom end, this will carry over to your amplified tone as well. Of course you can use the EQ on your amp to make chages if desired. I have a Taylor with the factory expression system, which is darn good, but the Fishman is better. I like them so much I have them permanently mounted in a Gibson J45 and a Takamine parlor. It does require some soldering to shorten the wire and drilling or reaming the end pin hole larger to accommodate the output jack.  If this is something new for you, I'd recommend talking to a professional for this type of installation. If you're handy with tools it's really pretty simple. You only get volume control with the Fishman Rare Earth, but I prefer to control everything else through the amp anyway. The humbucking design is super quiet and there's no feedback at all. I've not found anything better. They're excellent!  Hope this helps.

I can tell you I've tried several different types, under saddle, internal microphones and sound hole. From my experience the sound hole is the best by far, as long as you don't mind having something permanently (or semi permanently) mounted. I particularly like the Fishman Rare Earth humbucking PU. It gives amplified tone as close to the guitar's natural acoustic tone as I've found, so if you're acoustic tone is naturally bright or has a naturally strong bottom end, this will carry over to your amplified tone as well. Of course you can use the EQ on your amp to make chages if desired. I have a Taylor with the factory expression system, which is darn good, but the Fishman is better. I like them so much I have them permanently mounted in a Gibson J45 and a Takamine parlor. It does require some soldering to shorten the wire and drilling or reaming the end pin hole larger to accommodate the output jack.  If this is something new for you, I'd recommend talking to a professional for this type of installation. If you're handy with tools it's really pretty simple. You only get volume control with the Fishman Rare Earth, but I prefer to control everything else through the amp anyway. The humbucking design is super quiet and there's no feedback at all. I've not found anything better. They're excellent!  Hope this helps.

like gkrasley, ive tried a few different types of pick ups & for the most part i prefer the sound hole pickups also.
i have a UST--passive--on my Guild, no preamp, & sometimes i have to use it, but usually i mount  a Dean Markley woody-type single coil.  nice crisp, clean sound & no quack.  surprisingly hum hasent been a problem in the 6 months or so that ive ive been using it.
my luthiers shop has a couple or the K&K transducers that he thinks the world of, & ive seen it on other forums talked up quite a bit.  interesting, but i would need to hear it thru a spruce/mahagoney dreadnought (similar to mine) bwefore i start saving for one  smile

I'm kind of a budget consious guy, so I took my Takimine Jasmine, added an end pin jack, and hardwired a Seymour-Duncan Woody into it.  I get a really good sound with no feedback issues and I haven't invested a lot of money. It's pretty amazing how good some of the low end instruments sound these days.