Topic: Great Article on Guitar Effects

I've always had misunderstandings about what some of the various electric guitar effects pedals & stompboxes actually do. Some are rather obvious, but others not so much. This is a pretty good article, that even us "non-techie" types can get some grip on:

http://www.gmarts.org/index.php?go=221#Flg

I particularly like phaser & flanger effects, as long as they're done with subtlety. The two of them sound almost identical to my ear, but it's good to understand the differences.

Enjoy!

Re: Great Article on Guitar Effects

My Boss ME-50 has all the effects including a wah wah and expression pedal just have to get to know them. Phase and flange I don't have to much use for but I like the stereo chorus and the harmonizer there all listed in the modulation choices I kind of stick with a bit of reverb some delay and for sustain I use the distortion it has 20 different settings both clean and nasty for convenience the built in silent tuner is great smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I also have the Boss ME50, all I can say is that it's a nice piece of kit. For stage use I just use a little reverb, echo and chorus. Fuzz/distortion as and when required, mainly to get a volume boost for solo's.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

4 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-12-18 00:36:03)

I bought a Boss ME-70 about six months ago, but returned it within the 30-day return window. Being non-tech savvy, I just wasn't able to get comfortable with it. So now I'm using a 5-button foot switch for the Vox VT80+ amp which is loaded with effects and modeling parameters, and back to my old favorite Morley distortion-wah-volume combo pedal. Because I enjoy playing a lot of progressive rock, using phaser & flanger effects are pretty much "soup of the day" staples. The Vox amp also a several different delay effects, which are good for playing a lot of U2's material.

If there's one more stompbox on the "wanted list" it would be an Electro Harmonix POG2. I just love some of the organ and symphonic sounds these can produce, but they're priced way out of reason for what they are (well over $300).

I think it really comes down to what sound you like to put out and stick with I found mine smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

6 (edited by beamer 2013-12-18 22:26:00)

The VOX has a Tap Tempo on it also doesnt it?  that floor board sheld be the cats meyow smile
My nephew has one of the Voxes, but it would be nice to find him a floor bd for it.

You know the newer RP255 has a sitar setting and a looper,,,,,, My sons RP70 has a up/down pedal that has quit working,, been thinking of giving him my 250 and getting a 255 or 355.  depends on after christmas stuff.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

7 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-12-27 17:54:23)

Beamer ...

You are correct that the VOX Amp does indeed have a tap/tempo button, both on the amp and the VFS5 footswitch which I have for it. It's a pretty versatile stomp box substitute to use the amp's various effects. I picked mine up last year at Long & McQuade's for about $75, but you can get them in the US a bit cheaper at places like Zzounds (http://www.zzounds.com/item--VOXVFS5). The VFS5 buttons work in the following order:

BANK - accesses the various amp models programmed into the amp (the US 2x12 is supposed to emulate a Fender Twin, and does a pretty fair job actually!)
CH1 - switches on or off whichever pedal effect has been selected on the amp
CH2 - switches on or off whichever modulation effect has been selected
CH3 - is the tap - tempo switch
CH4 - switches the reverb on or off

All this said, the VOX Valvetronix amp doesn't really have "true tube tone" as they advertise. It's better than many of the solid state amps, but one 12AX7 in the preamp stage isn't going to produce what multiple 6L6's or EL84's are going to do in the power amp phase (like a real tube amp).

That was a very informative page of information, Tenement. Thank you for posting the link; I've bookmarked it for future reference.