Topic: Change of Venue

2014 brings with it a new job for me. The job is in the Washington, D.C. area. My family and I currently live in Atlanta, Georgia. My son, and youngest child, will graduate from high school in May so my family will remain in Atlanta. A tough but necessary choice. Eventually my wife and I may commit to DC and move there, planting both feet, or maybe I should say both sets of feet.

2013 was a helluva year for me with much excitement but also with much tumult and strife. My job change, my achieving the half a century mark, health issues, on top of the routine life challenges. The only way I was able to work through this was with the help of my family, friends, and a huge, albeit sometimes wavering, faith.

Washington, D.C. offers endless opportunities for my line of work and it has always been my thought I would end up there. I did not plan on it being NOW but the rug was snatched from under me and here I go. At least I had options.

I thank God everyday for my family, friends, and options. I am a blessed man. Having faith makes life so much easier.

I am looking forward to a great 2014 and I wish the best for all of you, your families, and your endeavors.
Dj

Re: Change of Venue

Change is good and I feel you will benefit greatly from your decision, as hard as it may be.  I have always felt that people who are willing to relocate, due to the present day difficulty of finding good work, are on the best track for life changes. Or you can choose to sit where you are and suffer.  You made a wise choice my friend.  You will not regret it.  The best of luck to you and your family.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Thanks Pete.
Dj

Sounds like you made agood choice,but I hope you stay away from the cockroaches  on capitol hill (politicians),they are a bad influence!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

naolslager wrote:

I thank God everyday for my family, friends, and options. I am a blessed man. Having faith makes life so much easier.

Dj

I think you'll be just fine!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on the new job, nao. Just watch out for that Zurf guy...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Good luck with the new job.  Once you find a place to stay, let me know.  Jets60, Detman101, and I are all more or less in the DC area.  I think a few others too, but I've only met Jets60 and Detman101 in person.  We'll schedule a jam.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I get out that way for work a lot. Jam session in 2014?

Baldguitardude wrote:

I get out that way for work a lot. Jam session in 2014?

You bet.  Just let me know when you're coming and I'll put something together.   If you get or can arrange for a free day while you're on a visit, I'd love to take you on a winery tour.  Within a twenty mile radius of my home, there are probably more than thirty wineries.   Viognier, Chardonnay, Traminette, and Cabernet Franc are the primary varietals for this area.  Beautiful country to drive through too.  Most would be amenable to us picking at a picnic table on the grounds if we are so inclined.

If you're more of a beer guy, there are a rapidly growing number of microbreweries.  I am not as familiar with them, but would not object to becoming more familiar.  I can't say what the picking possibilities are.

You are welcome to borrow one of my guitars for a jam, so you won't have to travel with one.

Note: I abused my Moderator power to edit the bejeebers out of the above post because I kept forgetting to put in information.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

With an invitation like that I can CERTAINLY find a free day or three! As to the beer or wine question, I am more an "all of the above" sort of guy.

I travel there 4-6 times a year. My next trip is two weeks from today...not sure of your timeline for the move. How about you send me an e-mail so we don't have to bother Chordie with our planning session lol. smile

11 (edited by naolslager 2014-01-02 19:36:40)

Thanks to all for the warm welcome to DC. You are lifting my spirits as I am torn over leaving the family behind.

My original plan was to be in DC on the 6th. Right now I am not confident it will be that soon. Since I am moving to DC I will bring a guitar. I wouldn't think of traveling without one.
Dj

P.s. Beer or wine? Yes.

Offer's good for you too naoslager.  E-mail me or Skype me if you'd like to talk about some different neighborhoods or areas you're thinking about staying in.  Will you be staying in hotels, or will you be renting a room somewhere?  Are you planning to bring family up eventually, etc.  Don't put that personal information in Chordie - but if there's anything I can do to help ease your transition, I'm eager to help. 

- Zurf

Ohhhh I didn't even notice there is more than 1 dc resident responding on this thread. smile

Zurf wrote:

Offer's good for you too naoslager.  E-mail me or Skype me if you'd like to talk about some different neighborhoods or areas you're thinking about staying in.  Will you be staying in hotels, or will you be renting a room somewhere?  Are you planning to bring family up eventually, etc.  Don't put that personal information in Chordie - but if there's anything I can do to help ease your transition, I'm eager to help. 

- Zurf

Zurf,
I plan to rent a small apartment. My wife and I considering moving to the area maybe as early as this year but it will be summer at the earliest.
dj

Well, if you need help unloading your truck on this end, let me know.  Our calendar fills up, so let me know as early as possible.

16 (edited by beamer 2014-01-04 03:27:46)

I know you will enjoy that area.  Its not Atlanta or the south as you know it, but MD and VA are really nice and make sure you jump the borders and hit WV. Its amazingly beautiful there.  (Im a bit partial due to being born in WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA!) lol

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Finally, all the administrative stuff is done and it's time to say goodbye to the family. On Monday, I will make my way to Washington, D.C to begin the next chapter of my career and life. I feel both excitement for the new opportunity and sadness as I leave the family behind. As with most things, worrying about it is far worse than the reality. At least I hope this applies here.

I will live out of a hotel for about 10 days and in that same time I will find a long-term living arrangement. I've have some help from my colleagues in D.C. and I've placed an ad on Craig's List. In one day I've already received several responses none of which jump out at me but who knows. Although I am a fan of CL and long-time user, this is the first time I've used it to try to find a place to live.

See you on the other side!
dj

Update.
I've moved out of the hotel and into an apartment. I found something furnished from the 1970s so all I had to do was move my clothes and personal belongings from my car to my new humble abode.

Last weekend I think I found my new church away from home and I checked out a Capitol Area Bluegrass and Old-Time Music Association (CABOMA) jam. I'm not necessarily a bluegrass fan but I thought it would be interesting. It was.

Dj

Give a call.  I'll e-mail you my cell phone.

- Zurf

Glad to hear that are getting settled DJ. Hope things continue on the same path.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!