Re: Origin of Your Nickname?

I've answered this one before, on this forum I believe, and my answer remains "naolslager" was derived with the help of a Ouiji board, friends, and adult beverages.
Dj

27 (edited by beamer 2014-01-03 23:38:12)

As Nao says I remember writing this at one point but will do so again along with the other name that my military buddies used.
The Beamer does not come from BMW as one might think.  I ride TRIUMPH (you UK gents may appreciate that) this would come from me being a Star Trek nut.  My 1st riding vest had a Next Generation Comm. badge pin on it.  On my very first rally with my in-laws MC, we stopped for snacks at a cool watering hole, As I turned around and looked at my father-in laws table of old school biker friends they were laughing (I thought what now, I had already gotten enough jabs for riding a Yamaha, my first bike) As I walked over to the table they all said "BEAM ME UP SCOTTY" (first name being Scott of course). So I became Beamer. Your road name is not something you make up, it’s given.   Over a few morphs of that I finally was able to buy my Triumph and the nick name from way back in the war days for that bike is Trumpet. So my e-mail is beamerstrumpet.  I now have a original command badge patch on my vest lol  I want to get a new leather guitar strap and it will have my Triumph and another command patch.

As for my first 8 years in the military I was MaGoo, morphed to Magoover,  which was a combo of MacGyver and which was also the name we gave to Swiss army knives and Leatherman tools. (both of which were big no-no’s since they were unaccounted tools on the flight deck) (Hey MacGyver could do anything with a Swiss army knife and some paperclips and a coat hanger!)
Not to mention when you guys see me at chordie stock,, by the latter part of the evening you will totally “get” the reasons for which I became Magoo.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer wrote:

As for my first 8 years in the military I was MaGoo, morphed to Magoover,  which was a combo of MacGyver and which was also the name we gave to Swiss army knives and Leatherman tools. (both of which were big no-no’s since they were unaccounted tools on the flight deck) (Hey MacGyver could do anything with a Swiss army knife and some paperclips and a coat hanger!)
Not to mention when you guys see me at chordie stock,, by the latter part of the evening you will totally “get” the reasons for which I became Magoo.

Which particular flight deck were you stomping around on?  I stomped around on USS-Ranger (CV-61) for a long time.

You're extra cool for riding the Triumph.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

29 (edited by beamer 2014-01-04 02:51:11)

jerome.oneil wrote:
beamer wrote:

Which particular flight deck were you stomping around on?  I stomped around on USS-Ranger (CV-61) for a long time.

Well thank you!  Ill email you a pic of it.
joined in 1990 retired 2010
I was in HS -3 (now rebadged as HSC-3) and we deployed on....
My first Carrier was the USS Saratoga CV-60 during Desert Shield [ E-1 doing the 1st Lt. Blues](also had the nick name Resin Head -due to always looking like I was stoned during this time frame)
When I made my AMS3 I was Stomping around the flight deck of the USS Roosevelt CVN-71 on and off for 3 years. (The primary Magoover years) Did lots of time in the very first post desert storm operation denigh flight.
My last ship I was Ships Company for AIMD USS INCHON MCS-12 (converted from LPH) Made 2nd class on that ship.

Sorry didnt mean to hijack thread

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

...looking like...    nice.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

beamer wrote:

So my e-mail is beamerstrumpet.

I had to smile at this. I read it as 'beamer strumpet' and a strumpet is an old fashioned, now little used, word for a 'lady of the night'. lol A word that very probably did not migrate across the pond.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

32 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-01-04 11:10:35)

Onenumber7 ...

You have another ManU fan right here! Not having the best of seasons under David Moyes, but I don't think any of us expected that anyone could pick up where Sir Alex left off. The injury bug has also plagued the Devils this year (Ferdinand, Vidic, Fellaini, Van Persie, etc.), along with the departure of stalwarts like Scholes and Giggs ... it's a different squad in many ways.

These are all great stories, underlying the incredible diversity of people and interests that frequent the Chordie site ... most enjoyable to read!

In my case Fumblefingers was already in use so I  went with deadstring. Seems I usually have at least one in every other chord or so.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

deadstring wrote:

In my case Fumblefingers was already in use so I  went with deadstring. Seems I usually have at least one in every other chord or so.

For some reason, I thought it would have been from playing until your strings were absolutely dead. So that it becomes an emergency procedure to change them. I have been known to do that.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Tenement Funster wrote:

Onenumber7 ...

You have another ManU fan right here! Not having the best of seasons under David Moyes, but I don't think any of us expected that anyone could pick up where Sir Alex left off. The injury bug has also plagued the Devils this year (Ferdinand, Vidic, Fellaini, Van Persie, etc.), along with the departure of stalwarts like Scholes and Giggs ... it's a different squad in many ways.

These are all great stories, underlying the incredible diversity of people and interests that frequent the Chordie site ... most enjoyable to read!

Nice to know another overseas member of the mighty red army !!  lots of change at the moment but i`m sure it will come good in the end .
Agreed its good to find out a bit more about each other .

I have played tuba since high school. I am a much better tuba player than I am a guitarist. My tuba was made in 1940. It's a year older than I am.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

beamer wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:
beamer wrote:

which I became Magoo.

My first Carrier was the USS Saratoga CV-60 during Desert Shield [ E-1 doing the 1st Lt. Blues](also had the nick name Resin Head -due to always looking like I was stoned during this time frame)

So you were sailing circles in the Red Sea at the same time I was sailing them in the Persian Gulf.   I thought you looked familiar.  big_smile

Southwest Asian Service Medal FTW!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

beamer wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:
beamer wrote:

Well thank you!  Ill email you a pic of it.
joined in 1990 retired 2010
I was in HS -3 (now rebadged as HSC-3) and we deployed on....
When I made my AMS3 I was Stomping around the flight deck of the USS Roosevelt CVN-71 on and off for 3 years. (The primary Magoover years) Did lots of time in the very first post desert storm operation denigh flight.
My last ship I was Ships Company for AIMD USS INCHON MCS-12 (converted from LPH) Made 2nd class on that ship.

Sorry didnt mean to hijack thread

Jim was 89-93 and was on the Roosevelt.  Such a SMALL world!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I simply "waited to late" to learn to play the guitar.  If i would have only started to play when i was a youngin' instead of an old f@#$.

Lots of old fart newbies around here.  Better late than never.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Here you go RickyJack, read this from when it was introduced: http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15026

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

nothing exciting here.  Sorry, just my name -- Jim R -- Rumplestinskin - close enough, Green3

Hope all y'all suth'ners are OK.  We're - 20 or so and a ton o snow, but WE like it wink