Topic: Opinions please

I have a problem of overplaying my strings. My right hand technique is heavy to the point of being ridiculous, which creates a lot of extra tension and slows me down a great deal. It also means I have output issues when I solo 'cuz it's really hard to play fast AND hard...unless you're SRV.

I've been considering dropping from 11-48 on down to 9's on all my electrics and switching to light picks in order to teach myself to play lighter. Light strings will sound like hell if I overplay them and they will likely break all the time, but I can't think of a better way to re-teach myself a lighter touch.

Thoughts?

Re: Opinions please

I noticed that you do seem too really play hard when you post a video,but they all sounded good. Maybe try some lighter playing or go too telephone pole sized strings like stevie ray used.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I didn't look it up, but I think we had a discussion in another thread about how we hold our picks. Baldy, I think it was you that said hold it so just the tip sticks out. If that was you, then I would recommend changing your pick grip. Go with a thinner pick and hold it more towards the top. It requires more action or give from the pick.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Bang the crap out of your guitars and apologize to no one.  Done.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

@dino I tried to play with 12s and 13s. Problem there is I do a ton of string bending and that s*** hurts. After a few months of trying to man up I just got tired of it lol.

@z Good suggestion. I pick very very shallow so on electric waiting for pick flex would actually slow me down because I'd have to put more pick on the string, if that makes sense. I also don't play with the pointy end of the pick..i play with an outside edge of it. SRV played with the round edge but I never liked the way that felt. I have started holding more pick on acoustic and also doing lots of strumming with thumb and fingers, but for the electric I think I just need to play lighter. I am also having some muscle tension issues in my shoulder because I tense up when I play on the electric. To your point though I just ordered some new pick shapes and sizes to noodle with.

Try loosing your grip on the pick. Hold it almost to the point of dropping the pick from your fingers. Practice this for awhile until you lighten up but don't drop your pick. This may help you to lighten up your playing and relieve tension in your shoulder. It's what I tell people who are starting out and are very stiff with their strumming hand. Just a suggestion. Old habits are hard to change. Hang in there.

Joe

7 (edited by NELA 2014-01-02 23:34:30)

Move to Colorado, get the legal pot. Then everything would slow down for you.

Nela

8 (edited by dino48 2014-01-03 01:40:35)

you might also check out putting some weight on your wrist I think the have them for your arms as well as ankle weights.I have ankle weights from wall-mart that you can adjust weights one quarter lb. each little sandbag.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

A couple things come to mind:

1) Use a different hinge, i.e., instead of swinging from the elbow, try moving the majority of your motion towards your wrist. Less power, but more control.

2) The softer pick suggestion has already been mentioned, but is worth repeating.

Or ...

3) Buy your strings in bulk smile

I find that anchoring my pinky finger on the pick guard forces me to play softer and with a lot more control.  Instead of the whole lower arm being involved only the wrist and hand generates power. I probably haven't broken a string in 10 years.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I'm a pinky anchorer as well!

Tyson I like the pick grip suggestion...i haven't looked at that in a while. Been focusing mostly on my left hand tension. Off to the woodshed.

Maybe get an ace cloth wrap bandage and some sand in a baggie then wrap it up too your arm too slow you down. Go visit the playground's in your area for the sand.

Try using Herco Flex 50 picks. The only ones I use. I used to use fender picks but they slid and broke all the time. They also broke strings.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I use big-ass jazz teardrops or super thick tortexes. I have never liked thin picks for the tone they produce. I tried Tyson's pick grip suggestion for a while this morning and it seems to be helping. I think I just clamp down too much....

Focusing on pick grip seems to be helping a lot. I also went heavier on the picks and I'm currently playing around with Dunlop Primetone Gypsy Jazz 5mm. Huge mammer jammers.

http://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-Primetone- … B003MIEPLM

Thanks for the advice everyone!