Topic: Easy Acoustic Songs?

Hey , I was wondering if anybody knew any easy scoustic songs ? im kinda new at the guitar and i'm looking for some easy ones to get me started , i like all music so i have no preference in the genre , Thanks

Re: Easy Acoustic Songs?

hi meggie,

There are loads of really eaasy songs you can learn.

johnny cash's cocaine blues, only 2 chords C and G ( although there is an F at the end)

knocking on heavens door 

hotel yorba

house of the rising sun

there are tons,

best way to find some are to look up peoples song books on chordie or just browse a while thru bands that you like or certain songs you like and see if it looks easy.

good luck

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I find that well known folk songs are really good for getting started. Lots of G's, C's, F's and Em's. Things like Wild Rover or Whiskey in the Jar. Good singalongs too.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

good call there alvee,

also, black velvet band, fields of athenry, loch lomond, rose of allendale, leaving of liverpool, Dirty old town ( easiest song to do ever!!!) the pub wit hno beer, the band played waltzing matilda and green fields of france.

yes, I do all of these

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Meggie wrote:

Hey , I was wondering if anybody knew any easy scoustic songs ? im kinda new at the guitar and i'm looking for some easy ones to get me started , i like all music so i have no preference in the genre , Thanks

mull of kintyre /knock three times/achy breaky heart/day dream beleiver/

"If"   Bread   
"Gypsy Boy"   Rory Block
"Tears In Heaven"   Eric Clapton

.../gin

Anything Merle Haggert, Waylon Jennings,Willie Nelson. All good for acoustic.Isn"t guitar great.

Take Care....Badeye.

one caper after another

I'll tell you the easiest song I ever found. It's a Beatles Lennon-McCartney classic called 'Elenor Rigby' 2 chords... two and three fingers used. Em and C, in that order. Check it out! Alot of 'easy' Beatle tunes out there...

VirginiaK wrote:

"If"   Bread   
"Gypsy Boy"   Rory Block
"Tears In Heaven"   Eric Clapton

.../gin

Sorry, but I have to disagree on the 'Tears in Heaven' bein' easy. You MUST play the bass notes (fingerpick) for this song to sound good. No dis intended, just a thought.

Hi meggie,

My first song was Mull of Kyntyre, good one to learn, if you want a new song Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol is good, another one I like is breakfast at Tiffanys by Deep blue Something, hope your enjoying your playing, oh one more This Land is your Land by Woody guthrie and if you want to have a go at fingerpicking try Dust in the wind by Kansas or Over the rainbow by Judy Garland. Thats it hope these help.

Grimreefer wrote:

Sorry, but I have to disagree on the 'Tears in Heaven' bein' easy. You MUST play the bass notes (fingerpick) for this song to sound good. No dis intended, just a thought.

With respect, I have to completely dissagree with Grimreefer. All the best artists put their own stamp on a song and do not blindly try to copy the original.

Two songs that I thought could never be bettered were Judy Garland's "Over The Rainbow" and Sting's "Fields Of Gold". Many artists tried and failed until along came the late Eva Cassidy whose interpration of these songs is very different and, in my opinion, far superior to the originals.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger Guppy wrote:
Grimreefer wrote:

With respect, I have to completely dissagree with Grimreefer. All the best artists put their own stamp on a song and do not blindly try to copy the original.

Two songs that I thought could never be bettered were Judy Garland's "Over The Rainbow" and Sting's "Fields Of Gold". Many artists tried and failed until along came the late Eva Cassidy whose interpration of these songs is very different and, in my opinion, far superior to the originals.

Roger

Thats true Roger Guppy, I heard a good version of Over The Rainbow by John Martyn a great guitarist who is sadly not mentioned much these days, and even Bob Dylan thought the Jimi Hendrix version of All Along The Watchtower was better than the original. That aside I think Grimreefer was a bit concerned that Tears In Heaven might be a bit of a stretch for someone starting out, so I think Grimreefer meant well.

A Horse With No Name- America
Take it Easy- The Eagles
Bad Bad Leroy Brown- Jim Croce

there are many simple songs, and just as many ways to play each one. The point is that you have to have fun and learn.
Grimreefer mentioned Elenore Rigby, a great classic, I agree that the root of the composition is simple yet I play it with fingerpicking. So I'm playing the song and the voices at the same time. Not for beginners. The point is that as long as you are learning and enjoying yourself the level that you play the song at is not important. If you challenge yourself on a regular basis you are working just as hard as anybody else.
Have Fun

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

Mhebert-
Whats the easy way to play leroy brown, strumming pattern and chords? I tried to copy exactly what Jim Croce does but its not that easy.

Meggie wrote:

I would suggest browsing through the wide veriety of songbooks right here on the chordie sight. There is even a section labled easy songs. You will surely find plenty of songs to satisfy your soul

what a long strange trip it's been

i started with country road, easy chords nice to sing along, first i learnd it with a simple up / down strumming, real slow, once you get it you can change the strumming wink

Horse With No Name - America
Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffett
Hey Hey, My My - Neil Young
Heart of Gold - Neil Young
Tangled Up In Blue - Bob Dylan
Sittin on the Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding
Nowhere Man - The Beatles
Rocky Raccoon - The Beatles

There is a guy on my block who lives for rock, he plays records day and night, and when he feels down he puts the rock and roll on and it makes him feel alright. - The Kinks, Rock And Roll Fantasy

Check out 'Hello' by Schuyler Fisk.  That's the first song I learned.  It's really easy - no barre chords and really helps you learn chord progression...not to mention it's a GREAT song to sing along with.  She's an up-and-coming indie artist and really good.  She's also Sissy Spacek's daughter.  It really does make an awesome performance song and it's not over-played so it won't be something you're sick and tired of hearing before you even pick up the guitar.

Speaking of Sissy Spacek (who played Loretta Lynn in film), Loretta Lynn's early tunes 'Coal Miner's Daughter' and 'You Ain't Woman Enough' are extremely easy.  Loretta Lynn was a self-taught guitarist who learned how to play while being a mother to all her kids at the same time.  Sure, they're country as all get-out, but fun to play, even if it's just for parody's sake.

Keep browsing through the Chordie web site, you'll find a ton of "easy" songs.

I'm also new to playing, and one of the songs that I picked up really fast was Free Fallin' by Tom Petty.  It sounds cool on an acoustic and has an easy pattern to learn.

The first tunes i learned were amazing grace, blowing in the wind,leaving on a jet plane and scarborough fair, all easy songs.

Ode to Joy!

Try WonderWall. By Oasis.

here r some easy songs try

BROKEN- SEETHER
WHAT WENT WRONG- BLINK 182
THERE IS- BOXCAR RACER
SWING LIFE AWAY- RISE AGAINST
HEY THERE DEHLIA- PLAIN WHITE T'S

Start with bands or artists you like and look for songs you "know" with "chords" you know. I think it's important, you know the "songs" well. Add songs with chords you know plus a chord or two you don't know. I started with songs I like to sing. Lucky for me I like singing Jimmy Buffet, Garth Brooks, Cat Stevens. Many of their songs are easy but lots are hard. Just search the artist you like and when you find a song you can play, print it. I keep copies in folders. Easy, harder and someday! Good luck!