Topic: accuracy of playing songs

I have been playing wonderwall by oasis for a while , quite a straightforward song to play , i can get the strumming right ( that is sounds the same as the original ) but when i start too sing i can`t help changing the strumming pattern , it sounds o.k. but do you think it matters that its not quite the same as it should be .

Re: accuracy of playing songs

do you perform for yourself or an audience? if your a cover band then it matters. if your playing as a performer (as i do) then you should put your own stamp on it. if your just playing to entertain yourself....play it as it will make you happy.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

It matters not a whit unless someone is paying you to play that song like on the radio. 

Otherwise, you should play all covers that way.  Make them yours.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

This  is an argument  which some  of  my  colleague's feel quite  strong about .Our  last  bass player really  felt  that we  should  mimic the  original songs  where as  the  rest  of  us  felt  we should put  out  own stamp  on the  track ,As probably  60% of  the  current  set  is  covers My  personal take  is  that  it  should  sound  like us  and not  the  original  artist .
However if  you  play  as  a  tribute  artist  then yes try and  be  as close to  the  original as you can ,no one  wants  an Elvis  impersonator who  sound like Dolly Parton .

I agree with Grah1. Do your own thing. Just make sure you are also practicing new skills so you can progress.

The  new  skills  thing  is very important .I  always  bring  something new  to  rehearsals ,not  as  a  suggestion  to  include it  in future  sets  but  to  improve and  diversify  from things  we  have  been   used  to. 
Some time  ago  I  suggested  we play  Donna Summers  hot stuff which  every  body   except  our  girl singer   seemed  horrified  by . How ever every body  loved it  once  they  played  it ,the  lead  riff  having such an effect on our  Conga  player( who  is  also   a  good guitarist ) as  he  asked if  he  could take  the  lead  on guitar for this  song .

It's your music, play it as you like it. I look at it this way, if Johnny Cash can put his own stamp on songs done by other artists, then so can you.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

If you want to hear the song exactly as it is, buy the CD or listen to it in the radio.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I think it has a little to do with your experience level. I am not able to "put my own stamp on it" as has been said. I don't really have a stamp. I am not adept enough at playing guitar to make things my own. I learn songs that I like. I want to play them as I heard them so I play them like the original. But I do agree that you should play them in a way that pleases you. It is pretty cool tho when someone recognizes what you are playing.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

almost all pro artist will admit too not playing a song the same way twice.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I watched a Mark Knopfler concert on YouTube a while back, and he said the same things about his very own music. He recognized that his audience expects to hear certain "landmark" notes in most songs, because that's part of the identity and enjoyment of the piece (like the opening riff of "Brothers in Arms" or "Money for Nothing"). So he's always attempting to be conscious of trying to stay true to them. However, he admitted that many of these signature riffs came up during studio recording and were never actually written to paper. Therefore, it's only natural that he will alter his own songs somewhat every time he plays them.

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

If you want to hear the song exactly as it is, buy the CD or listen to it in the radio.

There it is.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Think that hits the nail right on the head , also some other comments about if your just playing for yourself it doesn`t really matter how accurate you play the song long as it sounds good to you , thanks everyone .

Interesting question.  I would be torn between the play like the original vs play as you like except, if you listen to a couple of their renditions, I'll bet you will hear some variance.  And I will NEVER sound exactly like them.  So, play as I like it is.  And it's fun...

I heard a guy on the radio just this AM playing a Joni Mitchell tune  - nothing like the original -- who can sing like that???  I recognized it after a couple bars and it had a something-new-something familiar kinda feel. 

Just play, it's good for your soul....

Cheers!
Jim

I've been playing about 35 years and the number of songs I play that sound like the original I could probably count on one hand. I find the longer I play a song I have a tendency to add my own style. It still sounds right but is not note for note. I have gotten some flak over this time to time but most of the time I get compliments for how I play. It's virtually impossible for me to play every nuance of a song done by a full band with multiple guitarists. I take pride in the fact that I play close enough to the original that it's recognizable but still sounds like me. My advice is if it sounds good play how you like. Lots of people are willing to critique but aren't willing to show they are any better. Enjoy playing for playing.

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

I used to want to sing as close to the original artist as possible.  I thought it was important.  As I moved on, I realized, like the others here, that I really don't care if I sound like the original.  As a matter of fact, when I am learning a new song, I first listen to the original, then quickly move on to all the covers of that song I can find.  I like to think the mixture of all these different covers with the original gives me my unique sound.  It works for me.  Make it your own.  People will like it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Imagine an artist that only paints exact copies of other artist's work.  The skill involved is admirable but what's the point when you can just look at the original painting. If the artist paints the same subject matter but in their own style then the work becomes something new and interesting. 

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

some really interesting comments here , thinking more about it i suppose music is an art form and should be experimented with and not just copied

jgreen said it best, "Just play, it's good for your soul"

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Also Topdown Rule #1 seems to apply: "If it sounds good, it is good."

I can recall being at a guitar shop and some young guy was noodling around with a Taylor.  He was playing some acoustic Zep and nailing it.  Absolutely perfect renditions.  He looked up at old graybeard me, I supposed for some sort of positive comment or pat on the back, and so I gave it to him.  "That was great. Now, play it the way YOU would play it instead of the way Zep played it."  He did, and it was freaking incredible.  People were poking their heads into the acoustic room, the not-easily-impressed sales rep applauded.  It was a totally different reaction to, "Oh boy.  Here we go again..." that he started out with. 

Two things to cure the idea that songs should always be played like 'the original.' 
   1. Stevie Ray Vaughan playing "Mary Had a Little Lamb". 
   2. Jose Feliciano playing "Light My Fire."

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Surf that was spot on. And that is my favourite version of Light My Fire.

the chordie geordie

Great discussion .... another reason why being on the Chordie forum is so worthwhile.

I find myself of two minds on the subject. On one hand, I can't think of another art form where this level of license would be appreciated or even allowed by the original creator of the art. And I find myself appreciating such tribute bands as Brit Floyd and the Australian Pink Floyd Show, because they are meticulous to produce their renditions with note-for-note and tone-for-tone precision. A part of me feels that the original artist is really the only one with the right to make such alterations. And in classical music, a performance is often assessed by the integrity of the performance to the original music, apart from perhaps the mood or speed at which is was played (the conductor's influence).

But then (as musicians) we are in a creative genre that is not static, like a painting, a photograph, a sculpture, a novel, etc. And for that reason the element of ongoing creativity almost makes duplication possible or even desirable. I suppose before doing a different rendition of a song publicly, one might ask themselves if the originator would be complimented or insulted, and make a respectful decision based on that.

Having formerly been involved in an NSAI  songwriter's group I also wonder about the ethics of a cover band performing songs for money without providing compensation to the songwriters for use of their copyrighted works. 

DE

If they are performing the cover songs for profit, they shoild be compensating the copyright owners. Some bars join an association that has negotiated an allocation approach in terms of compensation. In my case, if Gordon Lightfoot, Guy Clark, or James Taylor show up, I'll give them a fare share of my proceeds. That'll be a warm seat by the fire and a pretty view, but they'd be welcome to it.

I'll be doing one or two Dirty Ed songs at Chordiestock II. I'll pay you in Yeungling next rodeo.

You're right Zurf.  Bars and venues that hire cover bands are supposed to be licensed through a performance rights organization (PRO) such as BMI or ASCAP, although many ignore or choose not to pay for the rights.  Occasionally one of the PROs will audit some venues for compliance, but it would be difficult to check them all.  I once played in a bar that only allowed singers/songwriters to play their original music so they could avoid paying the license fees.

I'm not represented by a PRO but I appreciate the Yuengling offer.;)

DE