Topic: job decisions ?

Hi all , could do with peoples opinions , I have been in the print trade for 42 years the industry has nearly been wiped out due to new tech , the job i am in i hate i have been looking for something else for about 5 years , looks like i might have the chance of a job at royal mail but its only part time , but maybe chances of overtime , don`t know whether i should chance it or not , your thoughts would be welcome .

Re: job decisions ?

If you're a person of faith, I suggest taking some quiet time, asking God in prayer, then be quiet and see whether you get an answer that way.

I have generally found that something different just to be different doesn't work out real often, but sometimes it does.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

1#7, this would be a tough decision to make and one that would need a lotta thought and planning. You say that you have been "in the trade" for 42 years - while this shows your dedication and experience it also puts you in a "age group" thats not a plus in any indusrty. I know this from experience as I am in that same age group. Due to medical reasons I am not able to work, anymore, and that's very difficult for me. I would suggest that, either in your present position or in a new one of your choice, you put your retirement first and get your financial house in order. Also. don't think about yourself as much as your family who depends on you for support. Change this late in life could be a good thing but with any "life" change there could be major downfalls. Zurf comments, if you are so inclined, would be the best anyone could offer you.

Nela

I've been through a similar situation this year. The result, for me, was I am staying I the same line of work but I am moving to Washington, D.C. Without my family...for the time being. Your transition will require creativity, flexibility, friends, family, a professional network, and, as Zurf suggests, Faith.

I always try to work in the job I have while keeping an eye on the next job I want. This has been helpful even when the timing gets jumbled or compressed by someone else.

I recommend building a profile on LinkedIn.com. I am there and this site helps me manage my professional network while giving and receiving help.

Good luck,
Dj

I don't have a good answer for you, but I do wish you the best of luck. I do know that sitting around and waiting for something to pop up is not the way to go.  You have to go out and sell yourself personally.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

thanks guys for all your help , its a hard call to make, but i know whatever i choose i have got the backing of my family which is a great help , if only we had a crystal ball !!

I worked for many years in the same job until they decided to close the factory then flattened the site ASAP. I was 58 at the time.

I really enjoyed my job and I fully intended to work there till I was 65, not to be. It was difficult getting another job and when I did I hated it, it ruined my back and I now need a knee replacement.

As you must be aware, the UK government recently sold off the Royal Mail, so that usually means redundancies, then re-employment at minimum wage and part time working. Although having said that, my ex-son in law is a post man and he started as a part timer and is now full time, so there's always a chance.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

tough decisons too make now in this economy,I would really not know what too do either,Pray too your maker and hope he gives you the best answer.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

9 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-01-10 10:38:27)

Technology has changed a lot of industries, and probably none more than the print media industry.

The mail services are also changing dramatically, for the same reasons. Here in Canada, our federal service (Canada Post) has recently announced they're going to be doubling the price of a regular postage stamp, and eliminating household delivery in favor of community lock boxes. They've been running huge operating deficits due to declining usage ... and they think that increasing fees and decreasing services will rectify that. What a joke!

Best of success to you in your job hunt!

I too have just been made redundant from my job, in the insurance industry, Disestablished is the corporate jargon. i could have held on to it if i was prepared to move to a larger city, but why would i at 58 and have all my family and friends here, and a reasonable number of good trout rivers nearby!. Will just have to get Mrs TT to increase her hours to keep me in the lifestyle i am accustomed to LOL

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

update on this folks i have been offered a job on the post and i think i am going to take it  , my current job is none too safe so its a bit of a gamble whichever i do , At least with the Royal mail there may be further opportunities once you get in .

Good luck on the new endeavor!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Best wishes 1#7, I hope it's a more enjoyable position for you!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Making the decision is the hardest part. Run, don't walk, to this new opportunity. Good luck.
dj

thanks everyone

I should probably take my own advice!

The best of luck to you, 1#7, hope it works out. It's really not good to be going out every day to a job that you hate. Things are tough out there for the over 50s (and many others of course), as I know myself, but you've done well to find another job to go straight into...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

thanks Norm really appreciate that , just waiting for the security checks to be done the i can give my notice in , can`t wait !!