Topic: Just broke the neck on my SG

Before anyone gets too upset it wasn't a Gibson.  It was a Tokai (UG35 I think) made in 2008 in China.  It cost me £185 almost new about three and a half years ago. 

I'd always liked the look of the SG but I was (and still am) a Fender man so it was a bit like a guilty secret. I bought it on a whim (which isn't like me at all) and I've loved it ever since.  For the price, it rocks (rocked).  I've played it live at numerous gigs and I've never been disappointed with the tone.  It was well made and easy to play with a beautiful neck.  If you get the chance to get hold of one at a good price, do it.

I wish it had died in a rock and roll accident like falling off the back of a Rolls Royce or being used in a hotel bar fight after a stadium gig.  Instead I leaned it against a chair for a moment whilst I logged on the laptop and it slid to its death due to my carelessness.

I'm not too sure how I feel right now.  I've never broken a guitar before.  It would be far too expensive to fix (the neck has snapped just below the head) so I'll probably strip it down for parts and sell the bits on Ebay.  Not the best way to say goodbye to somthing I've spent so much time with.  I think it probably deserves better.

Re: Just broke the neck on my SG

I know how you feel. The neck on my Taylor 314ce got broken at a gig when the wind kicked up and took it off it's stand onto a concrete driveway. I was sick once I looked it over. I got the neck replaced and though it doesn't match as nice as the original neck the guitar still plays and sounds like a dream. I wouldn't let this one go for anything. There are a lot of replacement necks out there maybe you could find one that will fit. That's what I'd think about.  Good luck !

Joe

My little bro got mad at me when he was like 12 and put a nice hole in the side of my acoustic. Ugly but still playable. I put a Bulls bumper sticker on it and it's still there 22 years later. Never had to deal with a headstock. I feel for you.

If the SG had a bolt on neck you may be able to find a replacement from Mity Mite or google the SG neck and see what comes up I know the feeling I have dealt with many accidents and other types (bar fights) and the back end of a strat is a formidable weapon for defense

"Growing old is not for sissies"

That's a bummer, dude.   That sickening feeling in your stomach when a guitar goes boom, and you don't know if it's busted or not is just the worst.

RIP, SG.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

You might consider replacing the guitar SG necks are not bolt on there glued but I found this guitar don't know if you can swing the bucks but it looks really nice and I have had a lot of success with there products
http://www.rondomusic.com/valkhcslim.html

http://www.rondomusic.net/photos/electric/valkyriehcslim5.jpg

8 (edited by dino48 2014-01-30 01:42:07)

Russell_Harding wrote:

If the SG had a bolt on neck you may be able to find a replacement from Mity Mite or google the SG neck and see what comes up I know the feeling I have dealt with many accidents and other types (bar fights) and the back end of a strat is a formidable weapon for defense

I never thought of a guitar for defense,but ya a strat  would really hurt someone. Too bad about the broken s. g. Thats a great looking guitar above me.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

yeah the thought never occurred to me either but I was in a bar in Lahina Maui Hawaii and a fight broke out some guy came at me with a beer bottle and I knocked him cold with the butt end of my strat and I have been a strat man since smile

+1 on Russell's suggestion! great guitars for the price,, save your guts and body from the old one and you can swap out if you like the other pick ups better and the body can be put as a work of art

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Once saw a musician/standup who had a resonator that he called his 'Barnsley fighting guitar' but that was made of steel.

Thanks guys.  The neck is set rather than 'bolt on' so a replacement or repair will be too expensive relative to the value.  It will be more practical to buy another.  And another guitar stand so I don't do it again!!

like the art idea as well beamer, thanks.

With wooden dowels and some strong wood glue it could be repaired. Here is the before and after of an Ibanez that I repaired a couple of years ago although with the long break it did not need dowels:

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4120/4893753212_23d2f15d66_z.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4116/4922882283_7e5591bb42_z.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4135/4923474230_ea185747fb_z.jpg

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

That's a real bummer, Roger ... feel for ya!

Another alternative for an SG replacement might be the Epiphone SG G400 Pro ( http://www.epiphone.com/Products/SG/G-400-PRO.aspx )

It has their coil-tapping feature, as does my Les Paul. The single-coil sparkle is excellent when the pickups are tapped/split, and the humbucker growl is also there untapped. They sell for about $375 CDN, which would be about 200 quid. However, given your past success with repair, we can likely predict what your first course of action will be!

Tenement Funster wrote:

That's a real bummer, Roger ... feel for ya!

It is not my guitar it is a customer's. It had been shipped from Sweden and arrived like this. The owner brought it in and gave it to us to break for spares..... he had a nice surprise next time he called in smile.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I agree with Roger. All is not lost.

This is a great site for refinishing/repair:

http://www.reranch.com/reranch/index.php

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

If you really like the guitar. Then it is worth fixing. If you have had it for a long time and it is like a member of your family, it is worth fixing. I spent 60.00 to have my Yamaha SJ-180 set up after 28 years of playing it. It is probably worth 30-40.00 in the shape it is in. It was worth fixing in my mind. Here is the formula I use to determine if it is worth fixing.  How many years have you had it? How much is the repair going to cost? How much did you pay for it?  Divide how many years you have had it into the price of the repair.   Example  SJ-180. 28 years of ownership. Divided into  60.00 setup = less than 3.00 per year of use.  Suddenly the 60.00 is a small price to pay for a guitar that has served me well since 1984. It can`t be replaced so I had it set up. It is now ready to serve me for another 30 years.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

JJJ ... I like your formula. I've tried something similar to justify "recreational purchases" in the past, both for myself and my dear wife. If one divides the cost of something by the years of personal enjoyment, well ...the numbers don't lie! (hahaha)

It can be fixed. You can do it, carefully, the way roger did his or you can clean it up and put "biscuits" in it. Not the ones for furniture but ones you can make on your own. I saw how another player did it (If I find the link I will post it) and it turned out nicely. Roger's looks better but if you like the geet then take the time to do the repair and you may like it even more.