Re: CHORDIESTOCK II - Feb 22, 2014

That's a great looking forecast Jeff. 

In a 2-hour span yesterday three people in my county died of heart attacks while shoveling snow.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Had this banner made - my thought is to have all participants sign it year after year - it will be fun to look back on all who have attended. Paul will have to come back again so he can sign as an inaugural attendee!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t31/1658436_10203196548864720_221411200_o.jpg

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Cool. There weren't enough sign ups for printed t's so I'll have to come up with something like last year.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Oops... Scott and I just asked about that on fb.  I tagged you tho Zurf.  I don't knkw how much time I can find between now and then to help with it, but let me know if you do need a hand. I will do what I can!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Really wish I could make it, Jeff! Especially with that weather forecast! Will get there some day to sign that banner...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

ONE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's all I have to say right now.  smile

I haven't been able to let Boomer sit in the stand by my desk today.  I haven't started to pack any clothes or medicine yet, but I've got spare strings, flannel cloth, string changing tool, tuner, capo, and song sheets sitting in Tiny's case waiting to be closed up.  Despite Topdown have 2/3 of the contents of a Guitar Center acoustic room in his condo, and Topdawgz bringing the other 1/3, I just like the feel and sound of my own guitar. 

I think the right word for this feeling is...stoked.  Very excited to see Jeff, Wayne, Liz, and Amy again, to meet Beamer in person and shake his hand, and to meet Topdawgz.  It's a shame Per had to drop out.  That would have been a real treat.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

As a typical girl, I have overpacked... but not too bad.  Two carry ons though I think I might check the one bag just so I don't have to drag it on and off the plane.  Besides, I love seeing my tiny suitcase next to the giant ones on the carousel.  I've got extra strings as well, and looking forward to checking out Jeff's guitars!

Stoked is a good description Zurf.  I'm with ya there.  I can't wait to fly off into the sun and away from the snow, have all day long to do nothing but play guitar (although, my fingers will be hurting... I haven't had enough time lately), AND MEET WAYNE and LIZ and BEAMER in person!!!!  Of course Topdawgz is a newcomer, but I'll bet he'll be a blast!  Seeing Jeff and Zurf again is going to be awesome too.  It seems we make pretty decent drinking buddies (although, I refuse to let my fingers get tooooo drunk!).  smile  Switching from snow blinders to sunglasses in about 10 hours!

I'm totally envious, guys & girls - wish i was there. have a wonderful time!

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

Have fun all!!!!!

Don't forget the evidence, I mean pictures.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope yall have a great time and take lots of pictures to post for those who couldn't be there.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

FRIDAY NIGHT 2 AM.
https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/46205_10203510805950067_85850612_n.jpg

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Love it!

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

bluejeep wrote:

Love it!

Me too,only wish I could be there too join in the fun. Have a great time all of you!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Chordiestock II update.... complete and utter awesomeness cannot even begin to describe what this weekend has been so far.  Yesterday there were 11 guitar players in a huge circle, taking turns, jamming together,  and having cocktails from about 2 pm till midnight.  It was amazing!!!!!  I forgot my sd card for the zoom recorder (booooo) but I did get a couple vids with my tablet.  I am not sharing till I get home though.  tongue  London Bus Pub tonight.  I hope they are ready for us!

141 (edited by jets60 2014-02-23 16:43:31)

Hehehe....looks and sounds like ya'll are having one heck of a time.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

After the jam turned into something that was hard for me to keep up, and ditto on the cocktails, I went out to the porch with Dirty Ed. We got onto the subject of song writing, and I felt like I was getting a Master's course!

Great picture!  May the awesomeness continue unabated...
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Posted a bunch of photos from Day 1 and 2 on the chordiestock II facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2475667 … /?source=1

Suffice it to say this was a 4 day weekend that I will never forget. So many talented musicians, So much beer, vodka & rum, So many old friends, new friends, and good friends. The only thing lacking was sleep.

Can't wait for next year.......

Big Atta Boy to Jeff, he is a great host and puts a a lot of effort in to making this happen. The joy of music and gathering of musicians is something that is really special.

Later, Wayne P

Thanks Wayne - but the atta boys go to you and the rest that take the time and expense to travel. All I do is spread the word, book a room and buy a few wings and adult beverages. It's the talented and friendly folks like you and Liz that make this happen!

AMAZING weekend!  So, I could have brought my guitar and likely wouldn't have gotten charged an oversize fee... but... Jeff's Breedlove was a REALLY nice substitute!  Speaking of which, I probably owe him some new strings because I beat his up pretty good.  I haven't played that much in ... well... probably EVER!  It was awesome, everyone was GREAT, and it was such a pleasure to make new friends.  I appreciate that the guys allow me in the circle, although my guitar skills are WAY below theirs!  I have been inspired to play more, and learn a little music theory!  TONS of food, TONS of drinks, TONS of awesome music and kind musicians, tough looking guys that are really just a bunch of teddy bears.  wink 

And I have to agree with Wayne, Jeff IS an amazing host.  Putting this together, offering us all couches, beds, and floor space, making 5 pots of coffee for me and Zurf in the mornings, feeding us drinks and outrageous amounts of wings, THANK YOU!  A hair more sleep would have been nice, but the fun was worth the lack of sleep. 

I will get the few videos I took up on youtube today.  I still want to smack myself for forgetting the SD card for the zoom.  The videos I took were of the jam moments, but there were so many other single song moments that should have been preserved!  I am hoping Scott took a few videos to share!  I think he did, but... that could be a fireball brain swerve.

So, yeah, great weekend.  Jeff is a gracious and generous host.  There was a comfortable place to play, music stands, guitars, food, drink, and good people to share it all with.  I'm not sure how a host does a better job than that! 

A quick run-down: Amy and I both were flying in on Southwest on Friday.  Both of our flights were delayed and we arrived at the pickup area within minutes of one another.  Jeff and his friend Robert picked us up and took us back to Jeff's apartment, where we partook of a bite to eat and something to drink.  Then the music started and kept going and going and going.  We broke for dinner, where Dirty Ed surprised me.  At 2AM we quit, but I was so jazzed up to be there and had so much fun playing guitars from 5:30PM to 2AM, that I didn't get to sleep until about 4AM. 

I woke a little after 6 on Saturday.  Our host was still audibly asleep, so after a quick washup went for a walk in search of coffee.  I found a 7-11 where I was able to get a good cup of coffee, a donut, a very large Gatorade, and as Jimmy Buffett suggested some Juicy Fruit to wash away the night.  I then walked to the beach where I enjoyed all of these items.  There was a heavy mist obscuring the view, which made for an absolutely stunning break of day as the mist slowly thinned and rose.  When I returned, Jeff was preparing queso for the Saturday jam but said he needed no help.  So I played all of his guitars (especially his new Gibson, which despite all of our sympathy over the theft of his Martin, is in extreme danger of being stolen by ME).  After we set up the clubhouse for Saturday's jam, Amy and I went back to Jeff's condo and napped.  Robert stayed at the clubhouse and warmed up. 

The Saturday jam was epic.  11 pickers.  When it turned into a random jam rather than a circle jam, I couldn't hang in.  My theory and playing over a chord progression wasn't up to snuff.  I went out to the patio and Dirty Ed was out there.  He got to talking about song-writing and running rivers with friends and more song-writing.  He's got a great perspective, and a good method it seems.  "Tools, not rules" is his song-writing motto.  He's put a great deal of work into learning the song-writing process, and was in a sharing mood.  I was in a learning mood and greatly enjoyed that special time with him.  About 11:30, I was done in and went back to Jeff's condo to crash.

Sunday was a little souvenir shopping, and a bunch more playing of all of Jeff's guitars, then the London Bus Pub jam.  To me, the London Bus Pub jam was like a really good dessert after a first class meal.  Just the Saturday jam would have made the trip worthwhile.  However, the London Bus Pub jam was equally, if not more, satisfying.  I have always thought that my voice was my weak part, but I had three different people I didn't know telling me that they enjoyed my singing.  That really meant a lot.  Then, because he liked my style of finger-picking, Jeff's infamous friend Roscoe Jones invited me to join him on a song he wrote with Bill Monroe (and I actually kind of knew from hearing it at bluegrass concerts).  The rest of the talent that was in that circle was...outstanding.  Yet, here are these folks that any of us would gladly pay good money to hear in concert tossing breaks and verses over to no-names to keep us all included in what was going on, all around a picnic table back by the dumpster of a hole-in-the-wall bar kind of near the beach.  Flat out crazy fun.  I think some of the most fun came late when Robert and Beamer and I were finding songs where we could duet.  It was great fun singing with them, and added a whole new dimension of challenge to songs I had been practicing alone for so long.  Like the Big, Bad Wolf's huffing and puffing, Beamer and I about knocked over the walls of the London Bus Pub when the "Oh my my, Oh hell yes, you've got to put on that party dress" lines in Last Dance with Mary Jane came around.  Singing with Robert on Seven Bridges Road was a blast.  He followed my lead on speed - which I purposefully change three times during the song, and he didn't complain when I messed up the guitar solo break.

150 (edited by beamer 2014-02-25 19:44:05)

My report will have to wait till im not tying up the work computer, but for the non FB people here are some snap shots.

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1653345_10203271052435724_690933046_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1655918_10203514129433152_1805147018_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1610042_10203523399584900_327602436_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/1922438_10203523404865032_1746418250_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/1972274_10203523405265042_1813245117_n.jpg

One of the nicknames I got in Jacksonville was "Last-Man" you name it last man standing last man ready to ride or as in Saturday night, last man to show up LOLOL

So this is me and Bee Rad after all the stools are up and he was Swabbing the kitchen LOLOL.

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1451352_10203523410585175_1285517770_n.jpg

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)