Topic: oud

was wondering if anyone has an OUD.

I have one in my house ( my sons)

I am told it is a turkish oud and should have 7 strings, but the one i have has got 6 string and with guitar strings.

anyone know if this is right?

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Re: oud

the 'ud was origionally a chinese instrument and means flexable rod or twig. historians are divided about whether the 'ud was origionally made in china or was it made in the 3rd century during the reign of Sasania king Shapur the first in north africa and then spread to the east. the most common tuning for it is G-A-d-g-d1 or c1 or A-B-e-a-d1-g1. u can have 2,4,6 or 7 strings. i would try lute strings,because it is essentially a short necked lute. the 'ud is very widely spread throughout the arabic world but is used nowadays for traditional egyptian music. if u can imagine it the strings were once made of silk. how many ribs does yours have and how long is it. either way it;s an amazing instrument.

sorry about the history lesson but i'm almost fanatical about obscure,ancient instruments!

how many ribs?

no idea!!!

what is a rib on an oud?
also i noticed you spelt it 'ud. i looked up on google and everywhere i saw it was spelt oud, just like the way I was originally told, unless 'ud is another way to spell it?

ribs?
still dont know,lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

5 (edited by nadine2 2007-07-22 10:50:55)

you can spell it either way, 'ud or oud.  i learned about the ud from an egyptian musician and that's the way he always spelt it. but it makes no diffs! the ribs are the ridges you see on the body of the 'ud. there are always an odd number because they are built around one central rib and then outwards. i ask because depending on the number of ribs, you can tell after which style it was made. the century,place of origin all that. ...unless u have an origional ancient...in which case please adopt me!