Re: CHORDIESTOCK II - Feb 22, 2014

Three videos are up on Youtube.  Here's the link to my page:  https://www.youtube.com/user/mekidsmom

WARNING:  NO EDITING WAS DONE other than allowing youtube to straighten up my shakiness, and these were taken on my tablet.  The sound is not anywhere near as awesome as it was in person!!!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

After 13 hours on the road yesterday I finally got back home about 10 pm last night, concluding a 9-day southern "road tour", including 2 days visiting Savannah GA,  3 days in St. Pete for Chordiestock and another 3 days in Pensacola visiting my oldest daughter and grandkids.  It was 38 degrees and snow covered when Jen and I left home, 80 degrees and sunny in Savannah, high 70's and overcast in St. Pete, rainy and chilly in Pensacola (38 degrees and sunny when we left yesterday morning). When we got back home the snow was gone but it was a balmy 16 degrees. (8 degrees this morning as I type this) By far, the warmest part of the trip was the camaraderie of the chordians and other musicians I met while in St. Pete.

Only Jeff and Scott knew I was coming to Chordiestock as I wanted to surprise my old friend Derek, and by the look on his face when I strolled into the Brown Boxer Friday evening with Jeff and Amy, I guess my surprise worked. It was the first time I had met Jeff but soon he felt like a long-lost friend. It was also the first time I met his friend Robert - friendly, witty, great story teller, excellent picker and singer - we hit it off instantly.  After dinner we went back to Jeff's condo complex for some sippin' singin' and pickin' and were soon joined by Scott (also met for the first time).  I had left Jennifer back at the motel so I excused myself about 11 pm while the rest of the group continued on.

Jen and I joined the group for about 6 hours on Saturday where I met Wayne - and was blown away by his talent. With several other local folks joining in there was quite a variety of tunes being played. Jeff was a great host and provided lots of good food to keep our energy up while playing in the circle. Derek, Robert and I were deeply concerned about the possibility of catching some weather-related illness so between us we shared a bottle of "bourbon/medicine" I had brought and when it was gone, tried a few of the other "cures" that seemed to be in abundance.

Sunday at the Pub was a hoot.  My two favorite things was getting to meet and talk to Roscoe and being joined by Jen in singing a song we often do together on the back porch.

A few memories I'll have of the weekend:

Jeff's "turbo" song versions and good humor
Amy's pipes, as well as being an absolute sweetheart
Wayne's talent
Scott's enthusiam
Robert - what can I say?  If we'd met years ago we'd probably both be in jail now.  What a great guy and great musical talent
Derek- an old friend that like wine gets better with age

Thanks Jeff for hosting the affair. Jennifer and I had a great time.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Ed,

Thanks for the kind words. There was lots of talent on display including Dirty Ed, great songwriter and guitarist. I had a wonderful time playing with everyone. I have said it many times before but there is nothing like getting together with other musicians and having fun. I felt bad for Tony "aka" SouthPaw41L, he had lost his voice and for those that haven't heard Tony perform, that's what I call Talent. Big thanks to Amy for helping me out with some backing vocals along with Lizzie B.

Some observations, Zurf has really stepped up his game. Jeff is bound and determined to make the Big Time if we can get him to slow the Tempo down smile . I am very proud of Amy for the dedication and poise she is showing. Dirty Ed will keep writing tunes, some a little Dirty. Scott and Robert's enthusiasm was contagious. I absolutely loved Jamming with Tony, Bee Rad and Wyatt. It was a shame Steve on Acoustic Bass wasn't plugged, he absolutely kicks butt. It got a little Bluesy but that was so fun.

Big thanks to Jeff "Topdown" and all the other Floridian's for making us feel right at home. Doesn't get much better than that!

Later, Wayne P

It's good to hear every one had a good time, as I would have expected.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

wlbaye wrote:

Jeff is bound and determined to make the Big Time if we can get him to slow the Tempo down smile .

Big thanks to Jeff "Topdown" and all the other Floridian's for making us feel right at home. Doesn't get much better than that!

Hey - I'm from effin' New Yoyk waddya spect? Eva hea of a NY minute? That means all of my songs should last less than a minute!

No thanks necessary - It is absolutely my pleasure and the highlight of my year to gather together so many talented individuals that I consider friends. This year was better than last, lets make next year that much more so!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

jets60 wrote:

Hehehe....looks and sounds like ya'll are having one heck of a time.

I missed seeing /hearing you in the circle Jets. Wish you could have made it.

I played a new song Friday evening that I finished writing a few weeks ago. It was one of those that had laid around for a while because it needed better lyrics in the bridge.  As I told Zurf, I "borrowed" a couple lines from your song "That's What Life's About' to finish the bridge using parts of the first and third lines from your chorus. As I'd like to keep the lines in my song would you mind being considered as a co-writer?

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Just reading all the various reports was very entertaining, in itself, with some reading between the lines! I enjoyed the videos too, especially with Amy's contagious laughter on top!
I've got to try & make it next year! But whatever else happens, I'm coming to Wayne's South Dakota gathering (Chordiestock III?) in the Fall. If that's still in the pipeline, Wayne??

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

158 (edited by gabbysings2 2014-03-02 00:21:40)

Oh you guys were having so much fun!.  Thanks for the YouTube Amy.  The descriptions were great.  Hopefully, somaday, maybe can make one in the future.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qI7y9ivs5Y[/url]  lol
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEyW2SEHfzM[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0WeJjPLqyQ[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkcYALHslEY[/url]

Ok, fine, call me lame this is the first chance for me to write my view of ChordistockII.
I flew into FL after a 2 hour delay in Birmingham.  During that time period I made myself comfy in the bar for 2 beers and the nice lady gave me one to go in a soda cup.  While I waited at the gate I had a conversation with a nice lady who was somehow in the music bizz where ever she was from.
Landed and after a few arguments with the rental car place (never using advantage again) ended up at my friend Carrie’s about 3:30. We hung out had dinner and a little later we made it over to Jeff’s.  I got to say, When Derek came walking around the pool house to let us in, it was like greeting  your best friend that you have known your whole life.  We both started smiling and a bear hug later I felt the same way as I met Jeff, Amy and Robert for the first time.  We had about 2 hours of playing and I tried to keep up with the ramped up version of Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and had a great time playing it with Jeff.  At about midnight Jeff told us we needed to head out to keep the old ppl happy, so we all squeezed into Jeff’s condo for a little bit.
Saturday, well I will for the record say, I am sorry I missed the bulk of the afternoon.  I was trying to spend equal time with Carrie as I had not seen her since high school.  I made it to Jeff’s at 9:00 PM ( much later than I had planned).  Walking into that room full of great people I was enthusiastically greeted and told “Glad you made it- your next!”  Really?  I thought. Tony, Brad, Steve and Wyatt had just finished a really kick butt improve. How do I follow that? Says I.    So I sat down cold and proceeded to destroy Don’t go away mad by Motley Crue.  It was really bad.   I did redeem myself with a couple of my originals on Jeff’s 12 string Alvarez.  Brad gave me some thumbs up for jamming out my stuff on the 12er, Thanks man!  I was so pumped up meeting Dirty Ed and Wayne.  I couldn’t take in all the cool vibes at one time and sorta just rode the wave with a big grin on my face.
Sunday, well once again I was the last guy there, but only by 2 hours so its all good!  I have to echo everyone else about how cool the London Bus Pub is.  I would defiantly have a stool with my name carved on it if I lived around there.  Everyone else has noted how full the circle was and I got to meet Rosco.I did miss some of Waynes songs, I did get to hear Ken and his wife sing together which was great.  Everyone tells me I did one heck of a  great song when I did my best original. All I know is I was so hyper-focused on not screwing up and trying to sing that I hardly heard everyone else playing.  At one point I tried to listen and about lost my place.  All I know is when I finished the others were still jamming my song and I heard a bunch of clapping. As I said on FB. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED ME TO SOUND THE BEST I EVER HAVE!
Next time, 100% will be geared to being at the whole event!  Then I can have some just relaxed conversation with everyone.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

mekidsmom wrote:

Three videos are up on Youtube.  Here's the link to my page:  https://www.youtube.com/user/mekidsmom

WARNING:  NO EDITING WAS DONE other than allowing youtube to straighten up my shakiness, and these were taken on my tablet.  The sound is not anywhere near as awesome as it was in person!!!!

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I had to say; thank you Amy for the link. I've been taking lessons to help me learn my scales for 5 weeks now. I started on the Dorian mode last week and when I listened to Run Around I thought; Hey, I think the Dorian scale might work here. Sure enough!!

So guess what Amy? You're going to be my backing track for the next few weeks.  big_smile Thanks

unclejoesband wrote:

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I had to say; thank you Amy for the link. I've been taking lessons to help me learn my scales for 5 weeks now. I started on the Dorian mode last week and when I listened to Run Around I thought; Hey, I think the Dorian scale might work here. Sure enough!!

So guess what Amy? You're going to be my backing track for the next few weeks.  big_smile Thanks

wink  I'll have to update my facebook "fan" page...

"I am a backing track"

Do you know that there's a realplayer download option so you can legally (illegally?) download youtube vids/sound files to your computer?  If you'd like the original file, drop me an email via the nifty chordie email link by my profile and I'll send it along to you!  smile  Have fun!  I'd love to hear your scale on my recording.  It might be fun!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.