Topic: Hanging guitars

Any Chordian's out there hang their guitars?  Any harm done by hanging guitars?

I am moving to a smaller space next month and need to have a place for my collection and hanging them would solve my delima... can't bear the thought of selling any just because of no space for them as they are like family...   Thanks for any reply...

Badeye   cool

one caper after another

Re: Hanging guitars

Don't forget to dust. It's embarrassing when company takes one down and it has a half inch of dust on it. I'm not used to this dual role portion of my life yet.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Yeah. I used to have mine hanging for years. I never niticed any ill effects. Keep the room properly humidified.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I do its better then knocking them over and handy all of my guitars get used each has its own sound and personality
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Jt_najKVOU4/UyBe3VeuimI/AAAAAAAABBU/2LoLKUAQ70A/w723-h543-no/Guitars+001.JPG

"Growing old is not for sissies"

They hang them on all the walls at the music stores.!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Use a hanger meant for hanging guitars. The cheap ones from a hardware store or Wal Mart covered with red vinyl are known to eat through certain guitar finishes.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Lack of space is no reason to sell!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the replies. I have a wall that will accept six guitars . I installed backing before the gyproc went up so I could have something solid to hang them. We are moving from a 3000 square house to a 900 square house, no stairs to climb, heating cost will be much lower, three out buildings, one for my woodworking shop [happy about that], fresh mountain air, and still a big kitchen for guitar jams. 

thanks again guys,,,,  badeye   cool

one caper after another

badeye you are loosing a lot of space,but it sounds like you will be in the mountains and that is cool.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

badeye wrote:

We are moving from a 3000 square house to a 900 square house, no stairs to climb, heating cost will be much lower, three out buildings, one for my woodworking shop [happy about that], fresh mountain air, and still a big kitchen for guitar jams. 

thanks again guys,,,,  badeye   cool

We made a similar move a couple years ago. Went from 2500sf to 1100sf. We have 2 outbuildings. One for me and one for chickens. We also now have a pond and a lot of area for gardening. There may even be a couple goats in our future.

I used to have 2 guitars on the wall. I hung them horizontally with the strap. They lived there for a year or so when it dawned on me that it could be putting undue stress on the neck/body joint that wasn't designed for continuous pressure in the direction. On top of that we heat exclusively with wood now. Loading the wood and cleaning the ash from the stove was leaving a layer of dust pretty quick. I decide they were better left in the case.

The electric guitars don't mater as much as the acoustics do. Too high or too low of humidity  can do awful things to a wood instrument.  40% humidity is good. I find that i play more when the guitars are out on the wall then in a case. And they are beautiful art work. On the other hand if your humidity is way high or low i wold keep them in the case.

Depending on where you live,you may find your machines need a lot of loving,polishing,speaking to but most of all.the srings will expand and contract.which means a tune up and rusting,white or brown will attack you quickly. Ever notice how nice the atmosphere is in the store--they have their reasons.You cant keep your boys locked up all the time,but they need extra love and care,if
only to check their wellbeing. I'm a peasant,I only have one Washburn Accoustic but it gets more love than the wife,and she doesn't have a wooden neck which can be known to twist in changing climates.Aaag sometimes I could twist that neck -- the wife that is--not my one and only baby.
Sunshine,when you hang them you have to take far more care of them,but what a sight.I'm jealous.     Dave.