Topic: Participated in a Blue Grass/Old-time music jam!

My FIRST time out in public with my guitar. Terrified at first but then I smiled for the next two hours. I am not a good player but it sure was fun. And a jam is a good place to learn yet remain almost anonymous if you wish. My goal was to get out of my comfort zone, learn (esp playing to time) and have fun. I am looking forward to the next gathering.
dj

Re: Participated in a Blue Grass/Old-time music jam!

Good for you. The fun aspect comes first. Nothing is worse than a perfectionist sucking the fun out of a jam session. Hope you have many more

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

good for you!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I think i just found a new jam partner but hes on vacation for the next week ive played solo at the hootenanny several times but haven't in months 23 miles of bad roads hope to start again. Keep playing

Let no talents go unused

Ain't no stopping you now. Have fun.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

That's awesome!!!! They say each next time gets easier. Keep at it.

I sorta did it once and it was a mess. I could have sounded better with a bucket and a stick.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

7 (edited by naolslager 2014-03-13 10:18:42)

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Nothing is worse than a perfectionist sucking the fun out of a jam session.

Too funny. This is true of any situation in life.

Well done, nao - it does get easier...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Great, Good for you ! A whole new world is out there waiting for you. Enjoy all of it. You are going to learn and grow so much by joining in.
Have fun.

Joe

Excellent.  You got back to playing.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

bobwill wrote:

Nao, good for you, glad it was a good experience.  i went once and one person was so into perfection that he told myself and others " if you can't play you have no business being here" didn't go back.   b

Full disclosure: I participated in the "slow jam" group. The guy leading the group was patient and helpful with everyone. It was a gret experience.

Zurf wrote:

Excellent.  You got back to playing.

Zurf, thanks for remembering my byline.
Dj

Happy to hear you enjoyed it so much Nao. Getting a chance to play with other folks can be a great experience.

Over the years I've had good and bad experiences when playing in "jams" and "circles".  Several times during jams, there have been a few pickers that want to dominate or show off their talents and it soon became a competition with each player getting louder until it was just a cacophony of sound, or as others have said, occasionally there has been a "perfectionist" that thinks the only way to play a song is the way the artist recorded it, even though the original artist may play it many different ways when playing live in concerts. This seems to  occur in bluegrass jams more than any other.

My preference has been the songwriter's circles I've played in. Sitting in a circle means all participants are equal regardless of talent or past experience. Everyone is given a chance to play in turn and all the others respectfully listen.  A modification of this are circles in which the participants play originals or covers with the others joining in if they know the song.  Again, everyone is given a chance in turn to play a song of their choosing.  For someone to "jump" the circle and play out of turn or try to play a couple songs in a row is the equivalent of them saying that what they're playing or doing is more important than the other pickers.  As Zurf will attest, this is one of my pet "peaves" and after its done by someone a couple times, I usually just put my guitar away and leave. As a friend of mine once said, "even the drunkest guitar pickers around a fire on a creek bank in the middle of no-where realize that there is etiquette involved." wink

I'm glad that you found a group you enjoy being with Nao.  I've probably learned more about playing while being a jam member than any other method.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Well now that Nao is in the DC Metro area, it's time to get him to a Zurfapalooza in my backyard, or to one of the Shenandaoh creekbank circles.  Hopefully, Topdawgz, Detman 101, Jets60, and a few others I know who aren't Chordians will be coming around a time or two over the Spring and Summer for burgers and brews.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I hate those people with big Ego's.  They don't remember when they were starting out. We all have to get and build confidence. I hosted an open mic for 2 1/2 years and anyone who wanted to jam at the end of the night could. It didn't matter what level player you were as long as you wanted to play your were welcome. I had one guy who thought he was King Sh*# . He tried to run over on his allotted time. After the 2nd song over I just shut down the sound system. He got P-O ed with me . I told him the open mic wasn't all about him, It was all the other performers who showed up. He never returned. His loss. Don't let those type of people bother you . There are better folks out there to jam with.

Joe

Good for you Nao.  You have to get out of your comfort zone to attain the next level.  I believe this to be true about life period.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I like the royal title you used in your message Tyson.  Thanks for adapting it to a family friendly modification, but I do like the title.  I will be adopting that.  Shoot, I may even get around to writing my third song (oooooo, three whole songs) all about that regal individual.  No wait.  Billy Joel already did that.

Zurf, I'm all for family friendly. I can't wait for you to write it. Keep us posted.

Joe