Topic: What was your biggest single aid to improving?

I have been playing for a couple of years , I started in my 50's.
I seem to have plateau'd.
I practice evryday by playing a few songs through a couple of times and I go to a guitar group once a week when 8 to 10 of us play together.
I strum along to the songs but I cant seem to pick up the intro riffs or get onto finger picking.
How did any of you move on to bigger and better things.

Avalon A12C Custom 2006
Gurian JBH 1981
Gibson J45 Banner Re-issue 1996
Martin D16GT 2006

Re: What was your biggest single aid to improving?

Hi hardydog. I'd say to start learning scales, thats what is helping me get over the plateau. I'm still learning and working on them.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Don't know.  I've been plateaued at a happy place for a long while.  I have started to try to work on some lead licks and scales just to kind of keep forward progress chugging along however slowly.  So, I guess it's kind of a gently sloped plateau for me. 

Good luck.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Im basically a strummer and fingerpicker. I am awful at any kind of lead work or scales. But you do have all the time you want to learn. Basically you have only plateaued if you choose to. I may have chosen to.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

In my experience progress is what happens between plateaus. Sometimes I play through my plateaus. Other times I get frustrated and put the guitar down for a week or month or two. In your case, I would encourage you to pick one or two leads that you like and learn them note by note.

6 (edited by beamer 2014-01-05 20:08:16)

My #1 improvement method,, find people who support and challenge you, yet help you to improve.  Maybe this is why chordie is so great. and skype jams are not bad either,, but actually being in a room with other players,, this will improve you with out you even realizing it.

The biggest jump in my ability was when I was still in High School.  I played in a basement band with 3 other guys who were older than me, at the time At the time I was still pretty new to guitar.  they showed me a song and what my part was to be,, and we took off.  If I got lost, Mike (lead vox lead guitar) would notice, turn to me and start playing my part and I would follow an get back on track.

So, finding someone to play with is the best in my opinion.  but all the other suggestions are great also. (Iam not big on scales and lead soooo LOLOL)

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I think  the  thing  that  helped me  most  when I  came  back  to  playing  was  the  use  of  backing  tracks  as  I  had not  played  with  a  band for many  years  I found it  helped  with  timing  issues  and gave  me  added confidence  to  play  live again.

Just being able to have lots of time on my hands since I retired has done the trick.  I still have a long way to go, but I am slowly getting there. Lots of practice is the key.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

learning barre chords opened up a whole bunch of songs for me. 

badeye    cool

one caper after another

I'll echo what BlueJeep said about learning scales, and then just practice and more practice. I've also found it helpful to learn what every fret position is by heart, and a basic fretboard chart like this one is indispensable for that:

http://www.guitar-chord.org/fretboard.html

Whatever tactics or methods are used, there is no substitute for practice. I did have to make a mental adjustment, to not let my many inabilities spoil the enjoyment of playing. If it becomes too tedious or mechanical, the guitar could end up collecting dust somewhere. A good practice session which I find works personally is a 3rd playing well-known favorites to get warmed up with, the next 3rd spent doing scales and exercises, and the final 3rd spent tackling a brand new song or riff. Over time, you will surprise yourself at how much progress has been made in a relatively short time ... that really puts wind in a person's sails!

11 (edited by dino48 2014-01-06 02:22:42)

Tenement Funster wrote:

I'll echo what BlueJeep said about learning scales, and then just practice and more practice. I've also found it helpful to learn what every fret position is by heart, and a basic fretboard chart like this one is indispensable for that:

http://www.guitar-chord.org/fretboard.html

Whatever tactics or methods are used, there is no substitute for practice. I did have to make a mental adjustment, to not let my many inabilities spoil the enjoyment of playing. If it becomes too tedious or mechanical, the guitar could end up collecting dust somewhere. A good practice session which I find works personally is a 3rd playing well-known favorites to get warmed up with, the next 3rd spent doing scales and exercises, and the final 3rd spent tackling a brand new song or riff. Over time, you will surprise yourself at how much progress has been made in a relatively short time ... that really puts wind in a person's sails!

Iwill echo the scales also start with the panotonic scales,you can find alot of free lessons on scales if you go too youtube. When you do get some memorized you will be able too go into most songs and leads. Record yourself now then check yourself out in a couple of weeks or month you may find out you are getting better.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I've been playing for about 40 years and have probably plateau'd several times, even stopped altogether during some difficult periods. i think watching other peoples techniques and practising as much as you can, and above all keep it fun, because music should always be enjoyable, never a chore. Never take it too seriously.

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

Thank you all for your posts and encouragement. I have started to practice the scales and a G C walk downs.
Basically if I want to get better its a case of keep pushing myself. cheers

Avalon A12C Custom 2006
Gurian JBH 1981
Gibson J45 Banner Re-issue 1996
Martin D16GT 2006

14 (edited by x4axoldman54 2014-03-02 22:14:59)

Hi...I know Im the new dude to the Forum but what helped me and Im still  rather new at Guitar like a yr in,  but Find a Lead Riff that you really want to  master  and get it down and break it down Note  for Note the Key word  here take it  (Slow),My first was the opening  intro  Riff  Dont Fear the Reaper Had to learn it on Acoustic  tho lol Good Luck have Fun....

Practice,

Later, Wayne P

Mine was discovering and using a capo...opened up so many songs I thought I could never play and sing.

And secondly, getting access to sites like Chordie where you can transpose songs to different keys.

Another thing that has helped me is giving up.  Really.  I gave up caring what people thought about what I was playing and sounding good, and now I'm just having a good time.  Funny thing is, since I gave up worrying what other people think, I've gotten a lot more complements.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

scales,and more scales,start with the panatonic and work from there. When you learn them you will be able too jump into most songs.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Youtube. Without it I wouldn't be playing.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Barre Chords was my turning point.

The King Of Audio Torture

For me it was box patterns.  Everyone knows minor pentatonic box patterns, but there are other "boxes," too. 
Get the muscle memory of a few boxes, and learn the root notes.
Then try to play along with a few songs.  Find out what key it's in, and noodle around in the box.

easybeat wrote:

Barre Chords was my turning point.

Agreed. I was overwhelmed when I learned how barre chords worked. So simple once you understand them. Meeting someone to play with on a regular basis led to major improvement as well. Then I was introduced to the 1, 4, 5. Now when someone says Blues in "A" I under stand what they're talking about.

My next door neighbour approx 2000, Peter Hills R.I.P. In bands from the 60's he could hear a new Beatles song on the radio at work and was able to play it that night in the local pubs and clubs. What a great talent, not only a fantastic musician but also avery funny man. I'm proud to have known him and learnt if only a small amount from him. I bought a guitar after meeting him.
Thanks Peter.

the chordie geordie

Youtube.  I can’t believe how much guitar related material is on there for free.  One of my good mates learnt in the 90s and he said if Youtube was around back then he could have learnt what he did in a decade in about one year.