Topic: Fishing Season!!!

I know this won't mean much to a lot of people, but here in Nova Scotia, trout season opens next week on April 1st !!!

Got a 3-day trip planned with a buddy, as we take our kayaks to a river / lake system that never disappoints for the opening of the season ... we're both like kids before Christmas. Even though we're sometimes camping in below-freezing conditions (got lots of good gear), it's an annual highlight to kick off each season this way.

Are there other anglers on-site planning for the Spring season?

Re: Fishing Season!!!

TF, good luck on your upcoming phishing trip. Hope your worms don't get frost bit. Been working on my boat motor putting in all new prop shft seals and o-rings. Think I got everything done (at least my son did) last night.There was a time when I was (thought) I was a bigshot in the phishing world - I had the "Pro-staff" boats, sponsers for free tackle, scare patches on my shirts / jackets / boats and all the bells and whistles that came with that. Health issues fixed that for me. Phishing is a great passion of mine but since I gave up all the tournaments I find that I can slow down and enjoy it more. Luckly, where I'm located, we can phish 12 months outta the year. Right now the bass are on their spawning beds and the crappie will be moving up real soon. Gotta go, think I got another bite.

Nela

We have a 12 month season here in Vegas but I'm excited about the tuna moving up. By May or so I'll be on a boat 25 miles off of SD for some tuna shuffle. If you've never done the tuna shuffle, I highly recommend it.

There's always something biting in Virginia, but I'm getting stoked for my usual seasonal kickoff.  The migratory shad are coming up the tidal rivers to spawn.  That is some fun fishing right there.  My best run was 17 fish in 17 casts.  They're good fighting fish, but finicky, and I only get one chance at them per year.  If it's an off time, I'm out of luck for another year. 

I hope you have a great time T.F. and catch lots of trout.  Stay safe in your kayak.  If you ever get to the Washington DC area, I'll take you up to the Potomac or Shenandoah for smallmouth bass.  You can borrow everything you need from me - kayak, fly or spin tackle, life jacket, and I'll even buy the after fishing milk shake.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I am.  In fact, I have a great story about how awesome my wife is.

So...   Orvis is a pretty big outfitter, and also a big sponsor of Wintergrass (which makes them awesome in my book).   I have a bundle of old bamboo fly rods that used to belong to my grandfather.  I know enough about them to fill a teacup.  So the Orvis booth at Wintergrass this year had a guy in it with a fly casting training rod, and was tossing a bit of yarn back and forth.  I stopped and told him about my grand-dad's rods, and asked him what I should do with them.  He got an odd look on his face, leaned in and said the most amazing thing.... "You should learn to fly fish."

That hit me like a thunderbolt!  In all honesty, I hadn't even considered that.  They have a free course they give, and he handed me a flyer all about it.  My only problem:  One more thing that takes me away from the wife.  How am I gonna get this one in the mix.

We were driving in my car later that week and she found the fishing class flyer.  I asked her "So... you want to learn to fly fis?"  Kind of already knowing the answer.  But she surprised me with "I would *love* to learn to fly fish!  I've always wanted to."

So I signed us both up.  Class is on the 3rd of May.  And as we just bought a little 17' travel trailer, I can't wait to go.   smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

awesome

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Jerome, that's AWESOME!  Good for you and the wife finding something new to learn and do together.  smile

Fishing opens April 1st here in NY too.  I haven't fished since I was a teenager though.  I grew up just fishing in the lake, and I can still sit there and have a few drinks and drift off to sleep without a rod in my hand.  wink

Don't forget... the Salmon River isn't too far from me, and there's a nice little fisherman's rental trailer across the road from my Dad who loves to play guitar, shoot the breeze, and cook venison!  They run in September though.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Every guy has a buddy to hunt. fish or whatever with. All the ladies have lady friends to go shopping and do all the other girlie stuff with. When a husband and wife find they like and can do all types of outdoor / indoor things together then this make everything in life better.

My wife and I do all sorts of things together. She cooks, I eat. She does the laundry, I wear the clothes. She cleans house, I dirty it up. She say's jump, I say I'm too old. She doesn't hunt but loves to fish - as long as we can leave the house around 11:00AM and be home no later than 2:00PM, it's not too hot, 'skeeters not biting, she don't have to bait her hook or clean what she catches. Ain't it great to spend quality time together.

Nela

I think it's about that time too. A small local mountain lake near me opens in mid April. Gotta get my license and head up there.

Baldguitardude wrote:

We have a 12 month season here in Vegas but I'm excited about the tuna moving up. By May or so I'll be on a boat 25 miles off of SD for some tuna shuffle. If you've never done the tuna shuffle, I highly recommend it.

When I'm visiting my parents in Henderson, we frequent the Veteran's Memorial Park in Boulder city. Nice little place.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Trout season down here in NZ opens October 1. Always get excited around that date!

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

I know your excitement TF.

I was able to get out a couple weeks ago and thumb a couple smallmouth from my yak, but got skunked my last two trips. Water temps are beginning to hit the low to mid 40's so it looks like this weekend may be good to go for a couple local streams if a big rain doesn't blow them out.  My wife would probably say I care more about fishing than I do about her.  Most years I spend around 60-70 days getting a line wet in 4-6 different states and Canada.  I rarely fish lakes any more - the chance to get away from crowds and float moving water on small streams is what I live for these days. Beside a few 3-day trips I do each year, I've got a couple bigger trips planned  - a week in June fishing some small Missouri streams with Al Agnew - the artist that does the Pass Pro Shop catalog covers and my "bucket list" trip in September - smallmouth fishing with my son Wes out of my raft for 5 days in Idaho through Green, Snow Hole and Blue canyons on the Salmon River into Hell's Canyon on the Snake River.  The float trip will be part of a a 16-day road trip with stops in Badlands, Yellowstone and Glacier national parks.  The old drybag I used to use for taking a guitar along on raft trips has finally worn out and it seems no one makes any giant-sized bags any more.  My last float putting a guitar in doubled-up heavy-duty 50 gallon garbage bags worked OK.  I guess I'll give it another shot - I can't imagine camping along a river without doing a little pickin' around the campfire.

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas  wink

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I'm extra excited because the state is kind enough to come and stock the lake in my back yard every year.  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

z next time you're in town let me know. We can head out on my boat and do some picking and fishing. smile

I used to fish a lot, back when ya kept a couple for the frying pan and released the rest. Now there are to many rules and regulations to remember and it just aint like it used to be, so now I just sit in the boat and pick geetar.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

NELA wrote:

Every guy has a buddy to hunt. fish or whatever with. All the ladies have lady friends to go shopping and do all the other girlie stuff with. When a husband and wife find they like and can do all types of outdoor / indoor things together then this make everything in life better.

My wife and I do all sorts of things together. She cooks, I eat. She does the laundry, I wear the clothes. She cleans house, I dirty it up. She say's jump, I say I'm too old. She doesn't hunt but loves to fish - as long as we can leave the house around 11:00AM and be home no later than 2:00PM, it's not too hot, 'skeeters not biting, she don't have to bait her hook or clean what she catches. Ain't it great to spend quality time together.

Nela

Nela  has she got a sister,I been looking for a lady like that! I do like too hunt though.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Another fisherman here, but don't do much any more. The local fishing is pretty poor. But me and Zurf are going to hit Salmon River one day, Amy!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

normtheguitar wrote:

Another fisherman here, but don't do much any more. The local fishing is pretty poor. But me and Zurf are going to hit Salmon River one day, Amy!

Amen.

Zurf wrote:
normtheguitar wrote:

Amen.

I'm in for this trip! Doesn't matter if I catch a fish, I just wanna drink with Paul and Zurf again

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Wow! Didn't know there were so many anglers amongst us!

I feel very blessed that in our little province of Nova Scotia, we have so many different freshwater & saltwater species to fish for. There's rarely a time of year when something isn't "in season" outside of the winter months, and then there's ice fishing opportunities in stocked lakes throughout the province. Although my absolute preference is fly fishing for just about every species, a light spinning rod comes out on windy days, 'cause I just can't be bothered try to manage a fly line in a stiff breeze. And going after smallies from the kayak is also a blast.

Three days to go !!!

Got to agree, TF, fly-fishing is THE best fun...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

TF, you can have all the ice fishing you want. I tried it once and didn't like it. Being from Louisiana we don't get any ice  but while working up north me and a budd decided to try it. By the time we got a hole broke into the ice big enough to launch the boat we were just too tired to phish.

nela

NELA ... couldn't agree more; I find ice fishing just plain boring.

Dino, sorry but she don't have a sister. When we were first married she did hunt & phish with me quite a bit. She still likes to go phishing but ever since I tried to convience her that the weather was just too hot to be sitting in our deer blind sweating in our camo clothes and we would need to take them off, she quit.

Nela

Today was the first day of trout for us here in Pa. It's a horrible day! Pouring down rain and a steady 30mph wind with gusts to 40mph. Personally I prefer lake fishing. I like those big bass. smile We have a 1/4 acre pond with some good size bass but they're pretty smart and know how to avoid the hook. The catfish on the other hand could take a few lessons from the bass. lol

25 (edited by bluejeep 2014-03-30 17:26:53)

Hey Joe, it always seemed to rain on opening day for trout. I miss fishing on the Susquehanna river, catching bass and walleye while watching eagles fly overhead. I fished from three mile island to the Chesapeake bay. I just might have to make a trip to Pa. just to go fishin!

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".