Topic: would some please give me strumming patterns to 2 songs

i would like someone to give me 2 strumming patterns to 2 songs, i just want to learn a couple of songs so that way i can catch on to other songs, i would like knockin on heavens door and wonderful tonight, i know the chords and dont have a problem with them, i have only been playin for about 6 months and just need some expert help

i would appreciate it

thanks

Re: would some please give me strumming patterns to 2 songs

Hi, I remember having the same problems about 18 months ago, I guess I'm just somewhat ahead on the ol' learning curve.
For starters, you could play both songs with a DDUUD pattern. (D is for a downstrum, U for an upstrum).
Some very basic rhythm theory for you:
You're playing eighth notes, when you strum 8 times ( 4 up, 4 down: DUDUDUDU) over one measure. That's a little boring to play over songs, however, so in order to give it a slightly more dynamic feel, you leave out some of those eight strums:  DUDUDUDU -> D_DU_UD_. The strums that are now underscores are being left out. Keep your strumming hand moving in an eigth note pattern, but don't touch the strings when you want to leave out a strum.
It works quite well for Knocking on heavens door. Play this once on the G, once on D and then twice on C or Am, then repeat.
ONce you have this down, which will take you no time at all, try to vary the pattern a little, but keep your strumming hand moving steadily. Simply miss different strums every time you go around the chords.
DDUUD works on pretty much all songs that are written in 4 time, but not on waltzes, 6/8, etc.

You could do a youtube search for "accoustic guitar lesson" to find easy lessons, helped me a lot, and it's easier to show stuff with a guitar than explaining in words.
Apart from that, keep playing!!!

English is not my native language, so please forgive me for not using accurate musical terms or sounding a little strange.

Cheers,
nc

For Knockin on Heaven's Door by Eric Clapton, I usually play D _ _ _ D U D _ in kind of a swing pattern.  It's good to mix it up a bit though, and I usually play a bass note or something on the second beat, sometimes I'll hit a few strings  at the end of the measure, etc.  That's a good place to start, but don't get caught up with it.  Just about all eight note patterns are interchangeable and still sound good.

Ive found this thread very useful as I have problems with strumming patterns.

Thanks

Try strumming down, then backpicking strings 1, 2, 3, (E, B, G) for both wonderful tonight and knocking on heavens door. Once you get that you can vary the backpicking a little. (1, 2, 3, 1, 1, 2, 3 (E, B, G, E, E, B, G) for example)
Sounds great, and easy as you like. same principal for Paradise City by G 'n' R, just a little more in depth! hope this helps
besti

She aint exactly pretty, she aint exactly small
but at 42-39-56, you could say she's got it all....