1 (edited by unclejoesband 2014-03-29 23:43:44)

Topic: Sayin' Hello

Hello all,

I found chordie a few days ago while doing a search for "Piano Man" lyrics. My know-it-all step-son insisted the opening line was; "It's 5:00 on a Saturday" (he's into the new country). Growing up in that era I knew it was 9:00.

Anyway, WOW! I'm not sure I've ever seen such an extensive and diverse music library. I'm impressed!  I've poked around the forum a bit and it seems to have a membership that is quite friendly just as diverse as the library.

About me; I'm a 30 year player although the guitars took a long dust nap in the closet while the kids were growing up. They were into sports more than music. The third and last one headed off to college last fall so over the course of this long, brutal winter I pulled out one of the guitars and started to refresh my memory; and it needs a LOT of refreshing. Never took the time to learn the scales so I'm just a rhythm player.   

My main musical tastes reside in the 70's. I spent the better part of the 80's following the Dead up and down the East Coast so that gives you another idea where I come from. During that time I had a playing partner. We had an 80-100 song repertoire. We did a couple open-mic nights, played at many parties and an assisted living facility a few times. Of course things change. My kids started coming and he moved about 100 miles away. So now it's just me relearning what faded away from 20 years of neglect.

I'm not sure how much I can add to the board, as the core group of posters appear to be semi to professional players. I'm just your average Joe that enjoys playing but I'll certainly contribute if I find I have something worth contributing.

Thanks for a great site.

Joe

BTW if there is anyone in the "West Shore" area of Hbg, Pa and you're looking for someone to play with, speak up. smile

Re: Sayin' Hello

Welcome UJB (great name BTW) - sounds to me like you will fit right in here. Players of all skill levels are welcome here and most of us - even the core group- are far from professionals. Some are very talented to be sure, but very few are tru professional musicians. I'm thinking of hosting a skype jam next weekend. Keep an eye out for the post and join in if you can!

Jeff

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Welcome to Chordie.  A lot of us dusted off a geetar we had stuffed in a closet and started playing again. I grew up in Pa. (lived in York for 55 years). There are lot of great people here and all are willing to share their wit and wisdom. Hope ya stick around and join in on the forums.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

welcome joe as topdown says you will meet alot of people here from all over and beginners too pro's,we try too help as much as we can.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Gidday Joe.
Just a strummer too.welcome aboard.

B.

The King Of Audio Torture

Welcome Joe from another Joe. (Joey)

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

7 (edited by zguitar 2014-03-30 01:47:32)

topdown wrote:

....are far from professionals.

Hey, I resemble that remark!!!!

Welcome Uncle Joe. You picked up the guitar again, that's all that matters.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome from jackson hole wy I have learned a ton from this group

Let no talents go unused

As I always say to my Uncle Joe.......Howdy Uncle Joe.

Welcome aboard the friendliest board on the net. smile

Ken

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Welcome, Unclejoe, sounds like you will fit in here so keep on posting. I'm far from being a professional but I did play music at a nursing home one time and left there with a couple of "blue-haired" groupies.

Nela

Welcome, pull up a chair, grab a beer and let's make some music smile

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

topdown- The name kinda just happened the first day we played at the assisted living facility. There were 3 of us that day. A girl joined us to sing. We finished our set with This Land Is Your Land so everyone could join in and one of the ladies asked us what we called ourselves. We sort of looked at each other with this perplexed look on our faces since we never really thought about it. Since I was known as UncleJoe in our group and we played a lot of Dead. I finally broke the silence and said Unclejoesband; a play on words with the Dead song Uncle John's Band, since we had played it that day. It stuck.

I've heard of skype but have no idea how it works. roll I'm guessing I would need a mic and camera of which I have neither.

[JoeyJoeyJoey, I was Joey for the longest time. A couple of my aunts still call me that.

Thanks again for the warm welcome. smile

Welcome to Chordie, Uncle Joe ..

I found the site early last year, looking for chords for something. After lurking in the forum for a couple weeks, I really enjoyed the constructive and respectful banter going on, and decided to get involved. Like yourself, my guitar sat idle for many years while the family was growing, and just came back out about 2 1/2 years ago. A few additions have been made since, and thanks to the folk here I've got a ton of useful tips and encouragement that have helped me to improve and enjoy playing more than I ever did.

We hope to hear from you often!

hi uncle joe and welcome, i find myself playing to the grey rinse brigade more often than not, but hey ho, an audience is an audience innit?

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Welcome to Chordie!  Yeah, there are some semi-pros on here, but I really think there's as many of us that aren't as those that are.  I found Chordie the day after I decided to start teaching myself to play guitar.  You're on track, the membership here is great!  They are what makes the forum so good! 

Yes, for Skype you'll need a mic and a webcam ... stick around the forums a while and it won't take long, you'll be out buying them and asking how to get it all set up so that you can "meet" some of the others.  Chordie's more like a family than just some random guitar message board, so welcome to the family!  smile

Amy

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Welcome ujb, Chordie's a great place!
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Welcome to Chordie.  I grew up in Lock Haven around the same time, maybe a few years behind you based on your introduction.  I may have seen you play.  Join in the fun.  I'm sure you'll have lots to contribute.  As far as being a rhythm guitar player, I have it on good authority that the original meaning of the word "accompaniment" was "doesn't play lead."

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

Welcome to Chordie.  I grew up in Lock Haven around the same time, maybe a few years behind you based on your introduction.  I may have seen you play.

I grew up in Williamsport. Graduated in '76. I didn't start playing seriously until I moved to the Hbg. area in '81. That's where I bought my first new guitar; an Epiphone acoustic with the sunburst finish for $180. That was a fortune for me back then. I put it on lay-away and spent the entire summer paying for it. It's still my go-to, EDP(every day player). Is that a new acronym? smile