1 (edited by naolslager 2014-04-01 10:44:28)

Topic: Acoustic Jams

I've decided to change my approach to learning to play. I've gone as far as I can with "teaching myself". My lack of skill combined with my lack of discipline combine to make a lovely rut for me to sit. Very comfortable but not helpful to reach my goal.

Since I am in exile of sorts, living apart from my family and honey-do list, I have discretionary time to practice. It's time to put this time to good use. I've found two jams to attend this weekend and that is the plan.

I realize this is the standing recommendation I've received here at Chordie since day one but I've allowed my stubbornness and anxiety to keep me from proceeding with others. My recent forays to Bluegrass jams have shown me I may not be the worst player and the guitar community is a welcoming and forgiving lot.

Funny I had similar anxiety about golf. What I found is anyone can have a great (or terrible) day at golf and it was no different for me.
Dj

Re: Acoustic Jams

Go for it, naol.... I too spent a lotta time away from home and family while working. As I traveled my guitar went with me and I would sit with my CD player and guitar and play in motel rooms or apartments. If I was gonna be in an area for an extended time I would visit music stores and ask about an "jam sessions" that might be going on. Got to play all over the country. It's best to show up at these "jam sessions" without your guitar a few times and just listen until you meet some of the folks. Some of these groups welcome listeners but don't necessarly welcome other players. Spend a little time and figure out if you will fit in or not.

Nela

Sounds like a good plan, nao! Let us all know how those jams work out for you...
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

I would love a little of that discretionary time you speak of. I've heard of it but I think it's like that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Never gonna get it.

How's that line go?... Oh yeah, NOW GET BACK TO PLAYING!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Dang it! Work intervened this afternoon and I'm now just too tired to enjoy a jam. Oh well, there's another one Sunday. I should be well-rested then.

I only know a few blue-grassers well, and they each speak very highly of jam sessions. The style of music itself lends well to any sized group providing background accompaniment, as each musician takes a turn soloing.

naolslager wrote:

Dang it! Work intervened this afternoon and I'm now just too tired to enjoy a jam. Oh well, there's another one Sunday. I should be well-rested then.

Let's pick a Saturday to have you out here.  We can have some pizza and beers and take either the patio or the family room, depending on the weather.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf,
You are generous. I will be traveling back and forth to Atlanta fairly often between now and the end of May. My youngest is wrapping up high school and I am going to try to be there for all the milestones, e.g. Prom, graduation, etc. when things settle back to steady state, I'll take you up on your offer.
Thanks,
David

Please do DJ.  Please do.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Man oh man! I went to a jam today. First, a BEAUTIFUL day to be outside. Second, this was wonderful group and I may need plastic surgery to remove the grin from my face. More fun than the law should allow.

The jam was in DC, in a park. Perfect. On my way back home I had the very pleasing revelation, that after years of thinking, dreaming about it, I was, for the first time, a music producer instead of a consumer. This was a public park and, at one point, we attracted quite a few spectators, all smiling, some clapping, and one dancing. Finally I was on the inside looking out. I can't describe how good that makes me feel.

I still have a long way to go but what a trip to look forward to.
Dj

Terrific!

Way to go nao!!! Thats what it's all about!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Well done, nao!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

AWESOME!  Crazy stuff when you suddenly feel like people actually WANT to listen to you!  KEEP PLAYING!!!!!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Your attitude is great for getting out there.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

mekidsmom wrote:

AWESOME!  Crazy stuff when you suddenly feel like people actually WANT to listen to you!  KEEP PLAYING!!!!!!

Saying they "wanted" to listen is a generous statement but thanks.

bensonp wrote:

Thanks Pete. It was a leap of courage for me but I figured I'm a stranger her so what's the worst thing that can happen? It's like anything else, most people will not criticize you but will instead give you credit for trying.

I enjoyed myself, met some new people, and learned a little.
dj

bensonp wrote:

Pete I like your Beatles,Im looking through you, well done!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

If I can navigate the cherry blossom watchers today, I will attend another jam. I really want to go but I don't like crowds nor traffic.

It is too nice to stay inside.
Dj