Topic: TOPIC OF CURIOSITY

It haunts me since I am on chordie. We all play guitar, from bad to super. I don't like bad, better from absolute beginners to very good guitarists.
There is one think that can be interesting: background, studies, work: they play a prominent part in your skills to play guitar. To be more specific: WHAT IS YOUR PROFESSION AND/OR JOB.

I hope to have a lot of answers, and HONEST answers.

I start :
- I studied for 7 years (in BELGIUM, those studies take 7 years) to become a Medical Doctor, a generalist to be specific. Because my father died in May 1974, and I graduated in 1980, I wanted, and at the same time I didn't want to follow his footsteps. You can not imagine how many people told my mother, ALONE and having 5 kids ( I am the eldest) they would come back the day I started. At that point, my live was never the same concerning trusting people, if 5% came to me, it was a lot. On the other side, I have got a huge practise, and I am proud that they came to me for what I was.
I also had a "non medical" attitude, I was more interest in guitars, girls and going out. But having time to play guitar: no. I started again, back in 1996, when I was hospitalised: complete burn out. I was working day and night, but my private life was a mess. I even wrote a few songs, all in minor; Am, Fm: the melancholic chords.
On 02/09/2000 (2 September) I had a car crash, due to aquaplaning, driving 90km / hour, and hitting a tree, driving that speed. I know I stepped out of my car, but my situation was very critic, had twice a cardiac arrest due to a shock, but I was reanimated twice. Since that moment, my live changed for good. Starting again on the 2th of July 2001, against advise, having again a big practise, I had to stop, I was a walking Painkiller, couldn't walk, and so, that's me.
I told a lot about me, but in fact I just wanted to know, what you do for living. I think if a lot of CHORDIANS answer this topic, we will see really a great variety of jobs.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: TOPIC OF CURIOSITY

Hi Phil,

I worked as a computer consultant for 24 years, then started a business as a carpenter and furniture maker.

But three years ago, I too had an accident and damaged my spine. I am now too disabled to do manual work. I can't stand for very long.

I now work from home doing web design and programming.

Playing the guitar is great for me, it's a hobby you can do whilst sitting down!

DO you write about me? What I had is almost exactly the same. One vertebra the 4th lumbar, exploded in 4 pieces, and 1 of the pieces, is pushing against my spinal chord. I was even paralysed for a while, and nobody understands why the f**, it didn't enter deeper. Probably, this is the only explication I can imagine is that, around every organ you have a thin layer, and that the anatomy of my spinal chord is a little bit thicker. A crash like I had, 999/1000 people, driving that speed, are dead, and the other survivors are doomed to spend their lives in a wheel chair. That problem, is sometimes a burden to live with, not only WHY WASN'T I DEAD right on the spot, having already an age (°1955) and watching other people die. WHY THEM, WHY DO I still live. I tried to work again, still having a kind of "Antichrist" attitude, working as hell, very serious, with the intention to work for sure to 2010 (55 y) but I couldn't continue, I was destroying the rest of my body. I had about 30 fractures too in my left foot, amputation was an option that a lot of hospitals would have considered, but thanks to my profession, and staying in the best hospital here, we could discuss about that. If it didn't work out, they could do this when they wanted
I think that You and Me alone can understand that problem, I can still walk, but I always use a support. I can't sit with bended knees, because I can't stand up. The only very lucky thing was that I am insured too high. BUT WHAT IS THE VALUE of money in a situation like this? Even winning the big jackpot of Euromillions will never change 1 thing, except maybe that you can look easier for help. Probably in your case: airplanes: ok they have a wheel chair at every stop, problem is when travelling, I can't lift wheights, playing guitar: a Gibson, I can play standing for not more than 10'
We know what it means, a weird thing to meet someone here, who has almost exactly the same problem. Are there coincidences in life?? but really very nice to meet you. If you like to talk or mail about it, DO.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Hi Docphil,
I have tried many careers in my time!
I finally Decided on  the 2 thats gives me most pleasure to do.
Floristry which i qualified in 25 years ago. Love love love it.  Im my own boss! just as well as iwould have been sacked for talking breaks to visit Chordie? The pleasure from working with  the Beauty of nature. The different seasons! also Mothers Day, Valentines Day! this one is a hoot here in this land of hours! Most Irish men will spend ioo euro on a huge Red rose Bouquet,and then look for a bag to cover it up as they leave the store?. as they dont want there mates slagging them?? Most irish men need lessons on how to woo there woman!
Some Irish chat up lines ive heard docphil! " Howya! what way do you like your eggs in the morning?
or Hows it goin! Do you sleep on your belly "no" well can I?.
This one was said to me in Northern Ireland last year. This guy i was speaking to asked me " had i a spanner? When i asked why! He said " everytime he looked in my eyes his nuts tightened?. When i got over the shock i laughed for a week. Still do when i think of it! Enough of that! admin will be getting on to me!
My other Career which i love is "Massage and Aromatherpy!" Healing Massage! 18 years.
If it was the other kind, id be driving a Mercedes! I did have my own Clinic for 7 years. Due to lots of circumstances i had to give this up, much to my regret..
But hey go with the flow!all meant to be. I still do this work as well but with
Marginalized  people.in rehabs and centres. Also my friends reap the rewards of this!.  { maybe thats why there my friends } lol.
Now Docphil! there is nothing i would like more then to tell you some of the things that happened to me in this business. but as this is a public forum i cant!  There is a book their somewhere! Suffice to say " i would have needed more then towel technique?.  When my lads got older and i could relate the stories to them over tea, we used to fall about laughing. Thank God for my sense of humour!
Thank you for asking the question! Now im off to our local Priory to deliver Bridal Flowers!
Have a good day Petal!
Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

5 (edited by acmecorp 2007-07-21 12:30:53)

Hi Phil,

I actually fell down some concrete stairs and landed on my lower spine, damaged number 2 and 3 vertebrae.
A neuro surgeon says I also have spinal stenosis which I believe is a narrowing of the spine.

Good job I didn't damage my hands smile  (although I did manage to saw through my middle finger, left hand once and couldn't play for two months)

gitaardocphil ,
I am a bodyguard and manage a private securty firm. My work permits me to meet many fasinating people. From CEO's to famous artists, to politicians. It is a high stress job and music is one of my many ways of winding down. I also have a second job that has become more of a hobby. I am a master trainner for dogs,I used to own a canine centre but sold the business. I still train dogs but only by refferal and on my time. Just like when you tell people you are a doctor and they have to ask about a pain they have, when people find out you train dogs they always start the next sentance with '' My little FiFi chews everything I own, what should I do?'' LOL

I do realise that my work is not mainstream yet I am very passonate about what I do. I believe that passion is what causes success in life. I also lived through a bad back injury. As a teenager I paralized ( temporary ) due to a bad hit playing football ( american football ) I damaged the lumbar facets between L4 and L5. Later in life I started to lose all feeling in my legs. After many months of tests we discovered that the pain caused by the facets, was causing the discs to inflame. One disc was pushing against my spinal chord. Untill we found the cause the neurosergeons were baffled because I had signs of nerve damage pointing to a spinal chord injury but there were other symtoms that I did not have that I should have had. So a program of painkillers was used to stop the pain from causing the swelling of the disc. It worked! Better still about a year ago I didn't feel any pain and just stoped taking the painkillers. Haven't had a problem since, My doctor cannot explain the sudden lack of pain but as he said '' Some things are not in our hands, Lets just be happy that for the time being all is well. ''

Michel

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

Splendid, to have on a such a short time already so many responses, even more fascinating is the fact that everyone seems to write more about their feelings, about what they really are, I didn' expect such a long answers, but it feels so good just to know and to learn to know the person behind the name. I do agree, I worked as a horse, probably more, and I encountered a lot of things, I even have a manuscript here in my PC, titled THE EXPRESSION, of THE IMPRESSION of a DEPRESSION, shame on me, I finished it in 2001. PROBLEM: a lot of people were very interested in this manuscript and, it is maybe selfish, my biggest problem is, because I had a very bad depression, lost about 30% of patients back then, it is these days in the top 3 of health care problems. We all know that suicide is a big problem, and back then, I was really high on the list. What saved me was the knowledge, even not being interested, that there will be always a turning point. I almost committed suicide BUT NOT IN A PHYSICAL WAY, IN A MENTAL WAY, blowing up all the existing bridges. I still don't understand that being interested in NOTHING, I still had the courage to go to the South African Embassy, and to prepare everything to settle me there. Yet I am still here, girl thing, so I stayed and started to write. I hope that I can arrange things sooner or later, but because I live from the insurances, and the one who pays the most do not pay any longer, if I earn even 20 cent. Give it to others? allright, but you take the essence of the book away. We'll see.

The jobs we do or did are all so beautiful, isn't it beautiful to do what you love?
Flowers, probably harder than it looks. A lot of people judge others because they earn a lot of money, but they forget ONE thing, they are ignorant about what we do, the hours we spend, the stress we have, and like mhebert writes so clear: YOU NEED SOMETHING TO ESCAPE REALITY, some use drugs, WE USE MUSIC, it can be Mozart, it can be METALLICA but most important is WE HAVE A MUSIC INSTRUMENT, it helped me a lot after my car crash, and I started to collect guitars= no waisted money, a real very good investment, and I play these beauties.
I must say, that being a bodyguard is really nice, like you wrote meeting people, artists, but I think, am I right, that this job leads to a tremendous responsability.
The most important fact for a bodyguard is BEING A WELL TRAINED PERSON, WITH EXCEPTIONAL PSYCHOLOGICAL SKILLS, am I right? SEE, HEAR and BE SILENT. I like to chat one day concerning this job, also every job has his good points, and to push away the bad things, we have MUSIC. I really hope that this topic is a nice one and as I wrote I am amazed, how we all write a lot of lines, it is beautiful to imagine all of you and to read the passion of your jobs.
LOVE YOU ALL

gitaardocphil ,
Yes you are right about the attributes to my work. We always try to find non-confrontational solutions. It is a job of logistics. Lots of planning. Not like the movies. lol

I'm happy to hear that you reached the turning point in your life. We all go through hard times and some come out with deeper scars then others. The important thing is to be able to find the positive side to each situation. Live and Learn!

Michel

Hi gitaardocphil,
i have been a nurse for many years having qualified in 1975. i have worked in quite a few different places but now work in a hospice nursing terminally ill patients.I love my job and couldn't imagine doing anything else really. Playing the guitar is my form of relaxation ( thats when im not getting too frustrated !) and being with my family and friends. Most of my friends are also my work colleagues so we are all there for one another when the going gets a bit tough.
Its interesting having contact on this site with everyone from all over, with all their different views, experience and knowledge.

Hi gitaardocphil,
I have two jobs, one is a security officer for a Physciatric and General Hospital, in the evenings and nights and the other is a horse trainer, early mornings.  So playing on my guitar is a luxury as time is at a premium.  But do I make time? - sure do!  Since I have started playing I have found that all the stress that builds up in me is very quickly released once I strum that first chord.  I am a very basic guitar player, but that doesn't matter because I am the only one who hears me!  Playing my guitar is MY therapy.  Whatever mood I am in, there is a song that fits.  And the incredible thing is that I am playing it.  Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would be able to 'make music".  I have even wrote about 15 songs. 
So each day, I look forward to playing my guitar and clicking on to Chordie !  It's nice to meet all you guys and gals.

"If You Always Do What You've Always Done - You'll Always Get What You've Always Got !"

i'm very blessed...i do the 3 things i love the most. 1.i homeschool my 2 kids, 2. i paint  and 3,i teach music.  busy studying 4 my masters now loving every minute of it. chordie helps alot because i can still study my considerable ass off but then check out all the new songs and get what we all really want out of it...2 play a cool song and not sound as if u suck. hey, kudos 2 all u guys who write their own songs,after 25 or so years of musical instruction i still can't get that right...i know,sad and pathetic isn't it.

I haven't the words to descibe how much I enjoy this site, talking about my favorite pastime with people from all over the world. I see now the different and interesting careers of many of you. I am a drywall contractor but I don't work full time as I have moved to Canada from the US and I am waiting for my permenent residency papers and I am not allowed to work in this country. I sometimes drive to the US for work but that is a 2 hour drive. I plan to start a small buesness as soon as I become leagal. I met the perfect woman here in Canada. She was supposed to move to the states but I sumhow ended up here in the great white north. We are planning to marry in March

what a long strange trip it's been

PLEASE GO ON, THIS IS AS FAR AS I CAN SEE, A HIT. It is so lovely, the way people talk about their jobs.
I am convinced that this topic will give respect, everybody is unique, no matter what she/he is doing.
There is only one thing that CAN HURT MY & PROBABLY YOUR FEELINGS TOO,
___________________________________________________________________________________

IF YOU HAVE A TALENT, A GIFT USE IT AND USE IT, KEEP IT CLOSE TO YOUR HEART

I'm an accountant/financial manager in a UK government department

it's not very rock n' roll but its fine

and it pays enough to replace all the guitar picks that seem to go missing

i also have two little girls 5 and 9 - the nine year old is a budding guitarist - knows three chords, how to read the treble clef and play  a few folk songs.

between adding up and bringing up i find time to play the guitar

I'm 16 and I don't have a job, I'm going to grade 11 soon...so yeah...but when I graduate from high school I'm thinking about being a diabetic nurse...I like to help people. I agree, playing guitar is a great hobby...I started playing guitar 7 months ago. I have/play an accoustic guitar.

Rock on!

16 (edited by Zurf 2007-07-23 21:48:03)

I have a varied background.  I am now an internal management consultant for a large global company. 

In the past, I have done the following for money, and probably some I've forgotten:
Window washer
Janitor
Darkroom technician
Canoe instructor
Photographer
Bass player
Independent businessman
Lawn boy
Darts hustler (especially Cricket and except for the Scots - every Scot I ever played whooped me badly - good thing I could pick them out by their accents)
Operations Manager
Purchasing Agent
Data checker
Trainer's assistant
Facilities manager

I've been working since I was 12 years old, and frankly I'm getting tired of it but have at least 25 more years to go until retirement (barring winning the jackpot in Lotto). 

I've got a great gig right now in this consulting line of work.  I enjoy doing it, and the folks I help seem to appreciate my perspective.  Plus I get paid pretty well, which surely doesn't hurt.  And all I have to do is bill enough hours but it doesn't matter what time of day. 

I am free from back injuries, aside from some having dislocated several vertebrae in my lower back many years ago - which slid right back into place on their own without surgery as soon as they pumped me full of morphine and muscle relaxants.  I had dislocated a vertebrae in my neck at the same time, as well as a shoulder.  All of those put themselves right as well without benefit of a knife.  I used to think it was luck, but these days I know better.  Luck's got nothing to do with it, but a merciful Lord answering prayers from my father who is a righteous man does. 

- Big D

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I'm currently at university hoping to become a teacher. The classes I'm going for is english and IT at a medium level of education in Germany.
Before that, I have been in the military for eight years, military police, that is.

I picked up the guitar two years ago and I think I have been playing or practising pretty much every since.

It's a wonderful hobby. Music by itself can do miraculous things and when you actually make it yourself, but you guys all know that, ... stuff happens!

nc

18 (edited by mhebert 2007-07-26 15:00:15)

Hey guitardocphil,
I'm sure you know the song Le Blues du Buisnessman from the rock opera Starmania. The Moral is about the buisnessman that has it all yet is unhappy because he never did what he wanted in life. His real passion was to be an artist. The origial singer was Claude Dubois then in the remake of the opera it was sung by Bruno Pelltier. I am posting a cover by Laura Fabian since she can really sing it.... man, can this woman sing... and she's not so hard on the eyes either. lol

Sorry to all the chordians that don't understand french but I'm sure most of you can appriciate the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3hiThS5 … mp;search=

Quel belle chanson, et tellement de puisance de la part de Laura.
Bonne journée mon petit cousin de la Belgique.
Michel

une belle chanson n'est-ce pas? (does that make sense) smile

Yes! Very good, Where did you learn your french?

21 (edited by acmecorp 2007-07-26 15:58:34)

Deutsch, Ich habe nur ein bischen. Die Katze ist auf dem Bushaltestelle.

Shit, wrong language.

En Ecole, Je pense.

(right I've blown it now haven't I?)

bon regards

Davide

Not to far
À l'ecole, je pense.

Toipic for a new thread, How many languages do you speak/write?

I think you better start that one Michel, you obviously have the edge on me smile

Bon Nuit Mon Ami

Davide

i spent most of my time in french class making fun of my teachers.  all i can do in french is order food and insult people

je suis bon

So Red Delicious

Hi Doc,

I did the paper round 3 times in the past. I'm doing a voluntary thing where I help with touch type club at school next year (year 9). They're not really proffessions though. I'm not really "proffesional" at anything. I'd say I'm intermediate level on guitar. only just though. I've started preparing for Grade 4 classical guitar exams. (It's IMPOSSIBLE!) I hope to be REALLY good at something by the end of year 9. I have a lot of goals for year 9, one of the other ones being to score a basketball shot from 50m out! I s'posse a Parapaychologist is a proffesion?

Cool topic anyway.

Will

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??