Topic: Acoustic Guitar's Best of 2010

Found this list. Have heard of very few of these names. Might have to make my way thru this list, see if I find something I like.

http://www.musicbanter.com/country-folk … 010-a.html

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Acoustic Guitar's Best of 2010

Interesting,I have hears of a few but most of them I have never seen before.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

3 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-04-16 20:16:25)

Thanks Z .... most of these are unknowns to me also. Could be an age thing!  hmm

Good list.

I've heard of quite a few.  Let me make some recommendations:

The Carolina Chocolate Drops are awesome.   Traditional old time southern field and slave songs.   And some new stuff, too.

John Mellencamp.  You know him.

Darrell Scott - Dude is an IBMA Hall of Famer.  Even if you've never heard of him, I'll guarantee you've heard his songs.  He writes for a ton of people.  He's also a Wintergrass regular.

Peter Rowan - See Darell Scott, only he's been around longer.  Also a Wintergrass regular.

Justin Townes Earl - One of my personal favorites.  Steve Earl's son.  A better songwriter, too, if you can believe it.  His firs record, "Yuma," is one of my all time faves.

Elvis Costello - You probably know him from his 80's electronic years.  The guy is a seriously talented artist, and has been on an acoustic bender the last few years.

Johnny Cash you know.  His son just released an album of unreleased songs.  And while I'm all in favor of more J.C., I can understand why some of these songs didn't make it to release.

Avett Brothers - Fantastic duo from the Carolinas. 

Bob Dylan you know.

Black Prairie.  Three fifths of The Decemberists.  Not nearly as morose, though still kind of mellow and blue.   Good band out of Portland.  Their fiddle player is a fantastic person.

This list is missing two artists, though

Jason Isbell's latest release "Southeastern" is nothing short of a masterpiece.   I know it probably isn't "acoustic enough" but that is some awe inspiring songwriting.   If "Elephant" doesn't make you choke up and cry, you have no soul.

The Milk Carton Kids should be on everyone's radar.  They're channeling Simon and Garfunkle up there.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I also see (in the second post!)

The Punch Brothers - This is mandolin virtuoso Chris Thilie's band.  The guy is a phenomenal player.

Tim O'Brien - Another of my personal faves.  I've stalked him at festivals, in fact, and got to lightly accost him in an elevator.  smile  Great mandolin player and songwriter.  His album "Cornbread Nation" is one of my favorites, and the song "Father, Forgive Me" is what a spiritual should always be.  He also plays a lot with the above mentioned Darrel Scott.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

I also see (in the second post!)

The Punch Brothers - This is mandolin virtuoso Chris Thilie's band.  The guy is a phenomenal player.

Tim O'Brien - Another of my personal faves.  I've stalked him at festivals, in fact, and got to lightly accost him in an elevator.  smile  Great mandolin player and songwriter.  His album "Cornbread Nation" is one of my favorites, and the song "Father, Forgive Me" is what a spiritual should always be.  He also plays a lot with the above mentioned Darrel Scott.

To expand on Jerome's comments:

Chris Thilie's Punch Brothers were a huge part of the soundtrack for the recent movie "Inside Llewyn Davis", and Chris is also back together (most likely short lived) and touring with Nickel Creek this summer.  Nickel Creek's other members are Sean Watkins (acoustic guitar) & Sara Watkins (violin). Sean was also in the group Fiction Family with Switchfoot's Jon Foreman, and Sara put out a solo album a little while back that I thought sounded great, but I'm a contemporary folk genre fan.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C