Topic: guitar

Maybe this is a "psychological question", but with the knowledge that there are so many different ways to make or create & compose music, I always ask the question WHY THE GUITAR IS SO PROMINENT for beginning musicians. There is PIANO, KEYBOARD, VIOLIN, SAXOPHONE, and the very important delicate instrument, called VOICE.
Are we so influenced by "just" the guitar player in a group we adore, do we like to impress others by playing guitar, because it is often the singer who receives the credits (see Mick Jagger, Rod Stewart)
It is a very simple question: why is the guitar so fascinating. I don't know the answer, but sometimes I think about a "woman" seeing the structure of a guitar. And I am not sure at all, what the reason is to start playing guitar, it is not the easiest instrument. You can hurt your fingertips, until bleeding, how do you take that chord, needed in a song, but almost impossible to place your fingers, is it because you can easily put your axe in your room.
I REALLY DON'T KNOW.
Are there chordians who have any suggestions?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: guitar

Lots of reasons.

It's small and portable.  It's quiet, so you can practice without annoying your neighbors.  You don't have to have decent genetics to play it well.   It is, relative to other instruments, relatively easy to play.  It allows one a huge range of musical expression.

It's almost the perfect instrument.  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Jerome is right on with all of the physical attractions to the guitar.

To add to that, if you want to look into it psychologically/historicallly, then there are also lots of reasons.  Guitar is prevalent in contempary music with the advent of the electric guitar and rock.  Think back in time about classical music, when it was contemporary for it's time.  It was all piano based. Everyone was learning the piano.  In recent times, people are drawn to the guitar because the solos and melodies are all...guitar, for all of the reasons Jerome mentioned plus cost to learn and purchase one.

The singer is always going to get the credit in songs with words, not too many instrumental versions make it to the top 40 these days. Singers are the figurehead of the group. Like Jerome said, genetics doesn't play a huge part with the guitar. But it makes all the difference with voice.

I also have played piano long before the guitar but I've had this thought since I took up guitar about a year ago.  It's reassuring others do too.  Great question gitaardocphil!

thanks fellow chordians. It is always nice to see your topic answered. BUT WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE THEORY, THAT THE GUITAR MIGHT BE ATTRACTIVE FOR MEN, BECAUSE OF THE FACT THAT "THIS" INSTRUMENT, HAS MORE OR LESS THE SHAPE OF A WOMAN???

I've worked 25 years as a MD generalist, having the skill to solve a lot of "psychic" problems.
I was a busy bee, until my car crash. So sometimes if you read between the lines, you can find a kind of medical thing. SEE also the TOPIC, about what is your profession, the passion for mostly, the guitar we share it here. But who is the person behind the nick name, and it is so beautiful to read the answers. Nobody answers, "I am a teacher", but they write about the love for their profession. I have a lot of time, and if I didn't have chordie, in particular the FORUM, I would have a very monotone life.
REASON WHY SO MANY PEOPLE START PLAYING THE GUITAR: some of them dream about being the next Jimi Hendrix, but it happens more that the singer will have more credits.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

gitaardocphil wrote:

thanks fellow chordians. It is always nice to see your topic answered. BUT WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE THEORY, THAT THE GUITAR MIGHT BE ATTRACTIVE FOR MEN, BECAUSE OF THE FACT THAT "THIS" INSTRUMENT, HAS MORE OR LESS THE SHAPE OF A WOMAN???

That's the first time I've heard that.   I will confess that I'm pretty much in favor of anything shaped like a woman, but I think there are other, more practical drivers that make it so popular.  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I'm not to sure about the woman idea, but won't shot it down. I started learning the instrument late in life and have come to understand that the guitar is like the rubixs cube. Or tetris, excuss the spelling, but you get the dreft. Every combination that is used can be played by someone else and sound totally different. Stevie Ray (who I just realized was so good) Jimi and Eric Clapton all were great in their own right, but played the guitar in their own way. Which, is what it really becomes, an invention of their own. A mark of what was created with your own soul. Marvin Gaye wrote a song called music and if anyone knows it and plays the guitar you will hear what your soul is singing.

So what you create with your guitar is your paint brush and your ears are the canvous.

Truth be told (in a Guy's frame of mind) Because the women love guitar players.

Bootlegger.

What does "prominent" mean?

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

prominent (adjective) about to embark on a promenade.

10 (edited by patrickjacques 2007-07-25 11:50:11)

Back in the day as a teenager (1970's), the fact that the guitar was a chick magnet motivated me greatly to learn how to play

what a long strange trip it's been

Ah, the beauty of my guitar...

Those lovely hips on my silverburst LP...
Her long silky neck...makes you wanna just kiss all up and down it...
Her beauty of a horn-curve...just a slight show of sensuous curve...
Following that sweet smooth line of curves around the body with the edge of my finger...
Touching the strings and listening to the beautiful sounds she makes as I work my fingers up and down her neck oh so lightly...
Tightening my grip and raising her pitch until she screams...
Together, we play into the night...
making beautiful rapturous music as we wrap deeper and deeper into each other...
Bodies touching...
Souls touching...
Metal, wood and flesh becoming one in the beauty of life...

It's love we're making.

big_smile
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Guitars are cool, available, sound good, and fun.  What's not to like? 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude