1 (edited by acmecorp 2007-07-23 13:57:26)

Topic: A question for the old people of the UK (people like me)

I was following GuitaarDocPhil's topic on lefties and I asked myself why do I play the guitar right-handed?

I mentioned on one of the topics that I am ambidexterous (sounds like a disease), and although most would think this is an advantgae, it can be a curse as well as a blessing. I have to figure out which way round to do something and stick to it.

Anyway, I figured it out, when I was a kid back in the 60's or it could have been the early 70's, there was a programme on the BBC, called Hold Down a Chord, presented by a guy called John Pearse. My father bought the books that went with the series and had a old right-handed classical guitar hanging round the house.

I picked up both, learned finger pickin' blues from the book and there you go.

Does anyone else remember this splendid programme?

Or, remember some seminal influence on their playing from a similar arcane source.

cheers

David

Re: A question for the old people of the UK (people like me)

phew,
I am glad I dont remember this program, so that means I am still a boy,lol

I do rememberthough some other program I tihnk on bbc2 early eighties? cnny remember the name either ,lol. But that had a lot of guitar tuition on it.

My wife, brother, and 2 mates are all left handed but they play like a right handed player.

Never actually thought of this before. So many left handed people dont play the left handed way.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hi Ken,

I think I remember that one as well.

Was it 'Rock School' featuring the (in)famous Henry Cow?

cheers

David

yep, that was it!!
not heard that for ages.

Ken

OK kids so now there are points (and points mean prizes) for the person who can remember the name of the female guitarist on 'Rock School'

i keep thinking suzie quatro, but i know I am wrong, but did she wear that sexy balc lather kit that suzie wore?

Ken
( the boy)

I pretty sure that Suzie guested on Bass, for instance Nile Rodgers turned up to explain funk guitar for the masses.

The girl in question had much shorter hair than Suzie Q and I don't recall her wearing sexy black leather stuff.

cheers

David

I think it was Deirdre Cartwright, but I may well be wrong.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Spot on, that's the one. ( I say that sounding like I already know the answer, but I don't, it just sounds right)

Whatever happened to her?

acmecorp wrote:

Spot on, that's the one. ( I say that sounding like I already know the answer, but I don't, it just sounds right)

this made me laugh a lot that answer, cracker ,

good one

I tihnk I remeber that nme too actaully but maybe that was from the cartwrites on bonanza? did one of them play guitar?

Ken

OK I'll spill the beans. I cheated. hmm

The 'Net is a wonderful thing: http://tv.cream.org/a-z/r/r2.htm

Roger lol

"Do, or do not; there is no try"