Topic: Did Jimmy Page steal Stairway To Heaven?

Many love the song Stairway To heaven, many say it's overplayed by too many guitarists, but there's no denying it's one of rock music's best known songs. Either way, it may be that when Jimmy Paige wrote this song he may have lifted the intro from a band called Spirit, who coincidentally Led Zepplin use to open for, Spirits song was Similarly called "Stairway"  Here's a link to their song, the part in question is at about the 45 second mark of this track. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFHLO_2_THg Also, here is the article I found that brought this to my attention, it's very much worth a read. Anyway, you make the call. lgrd.co/1mIrHcq http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 … -reckoning

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

2 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-05-18 22:10:10)

Re: Did Jimmy Page steal Stairway To Heaven?

With only so many notes and possible combinations, it's doubtful there is any music that is 100% original. Bits and pieces of recent songs, older folk tunes, classical music, and back beyond all seem to crop up from time to time in newer music. A complete song is a good illustration of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. While various phrases may be from elsewhere, a song like Stairway to Heaven stands on it's own when heard as a complete unit. And as you say, it is a landmark piece.

Just my opinion.

Hey cam good too see you are still around,I do hear alot of stairway too heaven in spirts song.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I think along the lines of TF.  Everybody borrows from somebody sometime.  If they used to open for spirit, then how could you not get a certain melody in your head,  but they defiantly  took STH way beyond and further down that "confounded bridge!" big_smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Thanks Dino, yea, I'm still around. Beamer, yes, I think you're right. Every note has been played, and everything derived from something before it. Everything is stolen from someone else in that sense, added to, or rearranged in some degree or measure.

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Zeppelin was pretty notorious for ripping off everyone else, so it wouldn't surprise me if they borrowed a bit of Stairway, too.  My problem with Stairway isn't thatm though, it is that it is probably the most well known song they produced, but it's not even the best song on that record.  Or the second best.  Or even the third.

Zep 4 is just an epicaly good album.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

7 (edited by dino48 2014-05-20 00:14:28)

George Harrisons My Sweet lord was a great song and he did it with some easy chords that flow toghter. He was Sued by the Chiffons for A million dollars and they won,claimed that he stole it from there music on the song He's so fine. That happened in the sixties. I think at the time he could have won if he wanted too fight it but he was too busy with the Beatles.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

George Harrisons My Sweet lord was a great song and he did it with some easy chords that flow toghter. He was Sued by the Chiffons for A million dollars and they won,claimed that he stole it from there music on the song He's so fine. That happened in the sixties. I think at the time he could have won if he wanted too fight it but he was too busy with the Beatles.

He would have lost because he did rip it no doubt in my mind same thing with the theme for the movie Ghost Busters they ripped Huey Lewis's song "I want a new drug" and they admitted it and wound up paying for it.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

A lot of this legal stuff is just another excuse for some lawsuit lawyers to make a buck. Can't blame them for being enterprising, but some of it seems a bit stretched.

Here in Canada, someone sued the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) network for them using their music as the theme for "Hockey Night in Canada" on Saturday evenings. They were awarded a very tidy sum. Once the individual was awarded legal rights to the tune, they then sold it to a rival network (TSN) to use for their hockey broadcasts! When opportunity knocks ...

You don't get to use other people's stuff without paying for it.  If you do, the law provides very specific remediations for it.   

That's how it should be.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Tenement Funster wrote:

A lot of this legal stuff is just another excuse for some lawsuit lawyers to make a buck. Can't blame them for being enterprising, but some of it seems a bit stretched.

Here in Canada, someone sued the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) network for them using their music as the theme for "Hockey Night in Canada" on Saturday evenings. They were awarded a very tidy sum. Once the individual was awarded legal rights to the tune, they then sold it to a rival network (TSN) to use for their hockey broadcasts! When opportunity knocks ...

If someone tried to use my music without permission, and I caught them and made them pay, I'd screw them over with their competitor just for good measure too. 

Don't for a moment think that the CBC wouldn't aggressively pursue someone who used their intellectual property without permission.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I kind of agree with TF. Most of everything that is written today can probably be tied to some other song. There are only so many melodies and progressions to go around. As a song writer I know it's hard to stay away from some melody that may have already been used. As far as Jimmy Page goes the songs are different to a point. The big catch for me is the song he stole from was titled Stairway. His song Stairway To Heaven even copped off the name. I guess I'd almost have to side against Jimmy.
What about John Fogarty being sued for copying his own song. He went to court and won.

Joe

I love watching Live From Daryl's House.  On one of the shows - I think with Eric Hutchinson - he was talking about We Are The World.  The artists all had to leave their promotors and hair stylists and what-all outside in a waiting room while they got ready for the show.  Daryl was saying how it was a lot like junior high school, where everybody was kind of scared of everyone else and no one really knew how to act.  He described how, as the artists loosened up around each other, they started being super honest.  Then he described Michael Jackson coming up to him and saying how he stole Sara Smile (I think) for Billy Jean, and apologized and asked for forgiveness - which was granted.  Weird state of affairs. 

Johnny Cash, on his VH1 Storytellers album with Willie Nelson, said that "Don't Take Your Guns To Town" was stolen from "The Red Red Robin Comes Bob Bob Bobbing Along". 

Kris Kristofferson wrote a song titled "Let's All Get Together And Steal Each Other's Songs". 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Shoot I thought that was what or skype jams were for LOLOLOL,  Speaking of which........ its been a while

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

A related blog

http://www.therightrant.blogspot.com