Topic: D/C

Help!,
Im learning Richard Thompsoms "Waltzing for Dreamers song.. one problem!  This D/C chord. I cannot seem to get a natural movement here! which digit do i move to play the C  to keep the flow?

Thanking you.
Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Re: D/C

Hi, Old Doll,

Had a look at the chords looks like you add a C note on the D chord using the A string on the 3rd fret. I usually use my pinkie for this. Depends how you finger the D chord I think you could probably get away with not using it unless you are picking out the bass line. (though I don't Know the song)

Hope this helps.

Ark

Bingo! Ark,

You little treasure!  " Ask and you shall receive."
Thank you!

Old Doll.

Well, sounds like you got a reply you enjoy, but if it's still a little tough, I usually play D/C as

e - 2
B - 4
G - 1
D - x (or o)
A - 3
E - x

It usually depends on which chord you're going there from.  In this case it appears you're going from a D, so the pinky is probably the better choice, unless you remember to finger D the other way when you first go to it.

If you want to practice, Jim Croce's "Time in a Bottle"  uses Dm and D for the majority of the song and the bass line descends from regular D, to D/C#, to D/C, to D/B, etc. (fingerpicking)  It doesn't hurt that it's a great song either smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSp0PEBuzEc

Wormproof 101,
Thank you for the info! also Jim Croce! time in a bottle. My baby Sis died 2 years ago, and her and i used to sing Croce songs. He was one of her favourites! Nice memories listening to that link!.

Old Doll.

My five cents worth:

I guess you have the D/C down already, Old Doll, I think adding the C with the pinky works great, because to me the Chord actually sounds better when I mute the open D string with the pinky at the same time instead of stretching the pinky over it.
It's not strong enough (yet) anyway.

Oh, and feel free to sport any signature you want to. As long as it's not offending, or something worse, I would NEVER think of calling your signature "rubbish". If nothing else, it's unique and original, and (probably) not just a lyrics quote...

Good afternoon to you Will,
Let me explain to you about my quote/Signature! I was at  Healing Convention some years ago. Mary a very dear friend with motor nuerone disease had one of these !gismoes! that supported her to walk a while upright. She used this when coming to these places as her wheelchair was more cumbersome! On this particular day i watched this friend being knocked around the crowd as if her and her dissability was invisible! By so called able bodies!

I remarked to her " it was upsetting me to see this! Her reply "Lena when your sick you dont stand out in the crowd".
I use this quote for her! as she is one of the many people who has survived this long in this land with her disease!

She is Completely bedridden now,and protected in a strange kind of way from people who think like you! Small Minded!
Now Will a little piece of advice for you from this Old Doll of 56 years! "The laws of our universe are easy to understand! For every action there is a reaction. Every thing we give out we get back."
Now just what signature would please you for me? And what is it about me that rattles your cage?
I never apologise to anyone for being a compassionate person,and i sure aint going to start now with you Will./or is it Paranoid?
Some suggestions Please!!

Old Doll.

Thank you Netzcoyte,
I am trying all suggestions, I want to pick the easiest one! Just so i can stand out in the crowd for my friend.
Thank you for your tip and supporting my friend Mary!
Dia linn { God to you }

Slán
Old Doll.

9 (edited by badeye 2007-07-23 20:15:40)

Hello Lena, Your signature is great. If everyone had a great friend like you the world would be a fun place. Kudos to you for standing up for your friend.

Take Care ...Badeye.

one caper after another

Thank you badeye,
I cannot believe that anyone would think im so up my own? That I would mean that quote for myself! I never had that kind of confidence! But you know badeye, Mary cannot smile anymore with her facial muscles, But her eyes still sparkle and smile. Her and i will have a good old laugh about this one! with me doing all the talking as usual! Im gonna take my laptop to her to show her this thread before i head off for a few days!
Keep well now and dont miss to much? lol. tell Gem i said Hello!

I will.

....Badeye

one caper after another

Okay, I'm sorry. I'm just saying, maybe I wasn't made to stand out. So, I phrased that wrong. I don't believe that I'm anything special, just average musician who can't make anything good no matter how much I practice. So yeah keep the signature, because I like what I read now. Apologies to everyone, just stay clear of me.

Will

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

13 (edited by (0)==#paranormal guitar 2007-07-24 08:19:41)

Actually just an update, I have no self confidence, ok? That's why I say stupid things. Like "There is no point in me I shouldn't exist" is a popular one.

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

Hey paranormal don't be so down on yourself. confidence is a great equilizer in life and is gained by doing and experiencing different things. I'm sure you gain it every time you practice your guitar which is all good.

Take Care....Badeye.

one caper after another

Hi Will,
your apologies are graciously accepted! It takes a bigger person to do that"
I also dont like being sarcastic with anyone!as not only does it hurt them! it also leaves me with a  negative feeling! Your much to young to be telling your self your no good! You young Man are just as special as any other human being! Know this please.!  Did any one tell you they loved you today Will?

Well i do! as a fellow human being .. Now you must do the same with some one else today!  its not that hard to say once its done with sincerity.
Have a happy day Sunshine,

Barróga agus Póga to you Will!  { Hugs and Kisses}

Could i suggest you use something more young and funky as your own signature? I feel that one is a bit heavy for you. just a thought!

Slán
Old Doll.

16 (edited by Zurf 2007-07-24 11:49:35)

Will,

I'm not sure how to send a personal message on this forum, so I apologize for this being public.  It is being sent by a person who, 28 years ago when I was your age, thought much the same of myself as you seem to think of yourself.  It's nonsense and a lie.  I don't even know you, but I am absolutely certain of one thing, there is not one person on this planet who is a waste of protoplasm.  Every person who has ever been born has a unique soul made by a loving Creator - and that includes you.  If you think being made specially to be you isn't important, I'll tell you with confidence that it is. 

You don't have to stand out if you don't want, but just because you think others don't appreciate who you are doesn't mean you shouldn't appreciate who you are.  Plus, you only THINK you know what others think of you.  In time, I hope that you'll learn differently.  When the chips have been down, I've been shocked at who stood up for me because they cared.  I had thought they were "enemies", but in fact they were people who cared for me and respected what I stood for - but just had a different way of going about their own lives.  I don't wish hard times on you, but the lesson was worth the trouble.  Good luck to you.

It's trite, but there's a Dr. Seuss quote that seems appropriate: "Never apologize for who you are.  Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." 

- Big D

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude