Topic: Finally a good gig!

I have been doing my solo acoustic gigs for a few years now. Played lots of partys and small bars for free,small donations or tips. And thats cool I had a blast and learned from each one of them.

Last fall I was asked to play a political party get toether for a friend that was running for office. I'm not really into politics all that much but I do like to play out when given the opportunity. And it was being held at a fancy restaurant/bar on a nearby lake. I donated my time of course, but made out really good on tips and played for about three hundred people. That was huge for me! I had an awesome time and met some new people and the gig went really well.

As I was packing up the owner came over and asked if I would like to come back to play for them sometime and
I said sure, and that was the last I heard from them. Until today!

I'll be playing every Friday night till after labor day on the dining room, deck area from 6 to 10. And to top it off they will be paying me more than I ever made playing before! I'm very excited and a bit nervous too. Hopefully I can pull this off!

Any advice from you guys out there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
                                                                                                                                                              Dave

Re: Finally a good gig!

Good for you Dave, have fun with it and enjoy yourself.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Might wanna check out the license requirements for the area you are in. Since you will now be getting paid for your service you will assume a business enity rersponsibility. Along with that comes taxes, even if you are paid in cash or tips, you have to pay taxes. At the end of the year the "owner" gives you a 1099 for all the "income" you made and the government will want their share. There are even some songs that require permission from the "MUSIC POLICE" in order for you to proform them. I sure Russell or Jerome can provide better info on this than I can and will provide additional advice. Anyway, good luck with everything.

Nela

Glad to hear you have a good paying gig. Most people don't realize how much work goes into preparing for a gig. Hours of learning songs, instrument cost and prep, sound systems. I always say you are renting my equipment because you can't afford my hourly rate. Any way have fun. If you have fun your audience will enjoy the show. One tip I can give you . If you think no one is listening , find one person who is and play to that one person. It will get you through a slow night and at least one person will truly enjoy what you do. It also makes for a rewarding night for yourself. Just have fun.

Joe

Good for you hum, next time you get a politician you should charge them triple they are there getting money from the fundraising they are doing.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Congrats hummin n strummin! Let us know how it goes

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Well done  Dave ,its  great  to  get  a resident  spot  it  really  helps  when you are  trying  to build  up  a  following  ,folks  know  where  you  will  be and  come  to  see you  .We  had have been house  band  at  a  couple  of  bars  over  the  last  few  years  and  its  great  .certainly  here  where  you  get  a  regular  change  of  audience in the  resort ,however  in the  town bar  we  found  it  good  to  keep  expanding  our  repertoire so  as  not  to  get  stale .I  know  one  or  two  guys  who  churn out  the  same  set and  the  regulars soon  start  to  complain   so  its  good  to  vary  the  set  and  add  one  or  two  new  ones  to  the  favourites . As  Tyson said  if  you  have  an  audience who  talk  a  lot    try  and make  contact  with  one  or  more  and  it  will  spread ,it  can be  a  little  disconcerting  to  think  you are  up  there  playing  your  heart  out   and  every  one  talks ,They talk  because  its  a  social  thing ,they  are  listening   so  don't be  put  off  just  enjoy  your time  in the  spotlight .

Excellent news! Congratulations on your new gig--I hope it brings great satisfaction to you and  your listeners.

That's awesome!!!!! 4 hours every Friday seems like a lot of playing. Hopefully you know a thousand songs or so to fill that time.

Good luck!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all very much for the encouragement,tips and advice. This site is far and away the best there is for info and the quality of it's membership.
blue...Thanks. I always have fun:-}
NELA...For sure I don't want any trouble with the tax man or music police.I hear both can be a real pain! Thanks I never thought of that end of it.
Tyson...You hit it right on that is really what I needed. Thanks very much!!
topdown... thanks!!! Coming from a player like you it means a lot. I'll keep you updated good and bad. thanks again!
Grah...Thank you for taking the time to give someone with much less experience some good advice.
Artie...I know i will have a blast and hope it caries over to those listening. Thank you.
zguitar...I thought the same thing,4 hours is a lot of playing for a weekly thing. But that is what they want. I'm hoping there will be other acts to alternate and keep it fresh. I do have between 4 and 5 hundred songs tabbed and worked out that I can play. I have been doing this for awhile and practice and learn new songs all the time. I will try to keep it fresh. Thank you sir!

NELA wrote:

Might wanna check out the license requirements for the area you are in. Since you will now be getting paid for your service you will assume a business enity rersponsibility. Along with that comes taxes, even if you are paid in cash or tips, you have to pay taxes. At the end of the year the "owner" gives you a 1099 for all the "income" you made and the government will want their share. There are even some songs that require permission from the "MUSIC POLICE" in order for you to proform them. I sure Russell or Jerome can provide better info on this than I can and will provide additional advice. Anyway, good luck with everything.

Nela

The responsibility for ensuring live venues are covered commercially from a licensing standpoint sits with the venue, not the artist.   The venue probably has a license with ASCAP, BMI or one of the other rights licensing agencies.  Despite what you may have heard, their terms are generally reasonable and most people that get in trouble with them are offered multiple opportunities to get one.

If there is some violation, it's the bar, not the band, that gets the cease and desist letter.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Sadly here in Crete the artist can also get a hefty fine if the bar is unlicensed luckily it doesn't happen mutch

Good for you!!!!  Congrats on a paying gig!  That's really awesome.  Absolutely keep us updated on how it goes and is going.  I don't have hundreds of songs.  I've been scared of what would happen if someone ever DID offer me something.  But, I guess I don't need to worry until/if it ever really does happen.  LOL!  Sounds like you're ready to go!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks jerome, that is one less thing to worry myself about while getting ready for this. The getting ready part is the hardest with set lists, what equipment to bring,and all the little things playing out entails for a solo guy. There is no one else to help remember the little things. The easy part will be when I start playing!

Amy, thanks for the kind words. I would have no worries at all if I could sing like you! When the time comes you will be awesome. I've spent countless hours just like many people here learning songs and guitar. I still consider myself a hobbyist at best. But I do love to play for people and have fun! Each time out gets a bit easier and helps build the conference a little more.

Thanks again to all of you!
                                                                                                                                                  Dave

Confidence......sorry......

Dave  you  say  about  confidence ,don't  worry    you  are  doing  this  for  you , when you  perform just do  it  for  you  and  enjoy  it ,your  enjoyment  will  transfer  to  the  audience  ,this  will  help  with  confidence .

Graham, that is by far the best advice given to me or anyone who may be performing,practicing,or just starting out. Do it for yourself. It doesn't get any more pure than that! You are so right on sir,thanks again.

18 (edited by bensonp 2014-06-04 15:15:33)

Excellent Dave.  You are on your way to stardom.  It warms my heart.  Good luck buddy.  Do you have any songs on Youtube?

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Thank you so much Pete. I really appreciate the nice words. I have been checking out your site for awhile now,and I'm a fan of yours for sure! I am so computer illiterate outside of work,I'm not sure how to get something on u tube. But my daughter in law is helping me a bit so hoping to get something up soon. LOL,no stardom here,just hoping to keep the mistakes to a minimum and have fun! Thanks again.
                                                                                                                                                                                   Dave

That's great news, h 'n s, - hope it goes really well for you! I know that New York State is a big place, but are you anywhere near Amy? Perhaps she could come & see you play, or sit in for a few songs?!
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

For sure that would be really cool! I'm up in the hills above Albany and I think Amy is in the western part of the state near the finger lakes. But any time she or any Chordie person is near here. They would be more than welcome to sit in with me. And here at home I have a few guitars a PA, plenty of mic's and a cold beverage on hand at all times!  Just drop in anytime!

Perhaps in the future a New York chordiestock!!

I like the idea of a New York Chordiestock! Bring it on!!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic