Topic: Back to School

Well, I've been lettng things go for nearly 2 years due to health conditions so I started music lessons, again. I found a teacher who has degrees in music composition , music theory and voice, gig's with a band, and teaches all levels of playing skills. We are going to work on some theory, excerises to help the stiffness in my hands from surguries, rythem skills, walk-ups and walk downs and various ways to improve my playing skill and style. Had my 1st intro lesson, yesterday, which was mostly just talking about my playing level, what I wanted to accomplish, setting some goals and practice excerises. We also discussed his qualification, references skill level. Here lately my guitar practice has consisted doing practally nothing. I'll pick up my guitar, play a few chords, maybe play a song or 2, put the guitar down and not play for 2 or 4 days. I'm hoping these lessons will make me play / prtactice more and give me back the "want too".

Nela

Re: Back to School

Good luck with it NELA.  You seem to really enjoy playing, so I hope those hand surgeries can be overcome.  I'm sure with your crafting skills and determination that you'll be able to find a way, even if it's not the conventional way.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

NELA,you are the definition of "true grit". I hope all your hard work and dedication reap many rewards!

Dave

I hope you will succed and be playing well soon.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

It is so good just to know you are feeling well enough to do that. I think it is wonderful.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Good for you NELA - I wish I had the time and commitment to take some lessons. Maybe someday

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Since you're paying for lessons it becomes a "have to" thing. Whatever gets you in gear and back to making some noise is all good.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats NELA on having the gumption to get back on the horse again.  I sometimes think about taking lessons but I think in my case it'd be like pouring perfume on a pig.  wink

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Dirty Ed - The sweet smelling pig.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Well, with the forced retirement due to health reasons, leaving  me with a lot of free time on my hands I needed something to do. I have been playing, a little, but I think my skills are getting stale. As Zguitar wrote it will become a "have too thing" and hopefully I'll learn something new. Since I don't play any lead we are gonna get started by working on improving my rythem skills by adding some bass runs, walk-ups and downs and some other chord embellishments. I really think these lessons are going to be interesting. These lessons will be for 1 hour every other week and the teacher comes to me. I've already had my 1st lesson which was more of a discussion of my playing ability and where / what I wanted to accomplish. We also discussed his qualifications and background which seem quite good. I think things are going to work well. He gave me some stretching excerises for my fretting hand as well as an excerise to work on my single string picking. I have practiced so much the last couple of days my fretting fingers are sore. In another post I told ya'll how I was having a reaction to some of the meds I am taking that was causing a rash and my skin to peel. It was determined that the "breakout" of the rash was due to "chemo" burns from the cancer meds. I ending up with the skin on both hands, arms and legs peeling off in sheets  luding the palms of my hands. Even lost the calluses on my finger tips from playing. Anyway, I looking forward to these lessons and have hopes of getting a lot from them.

Nela

Good gracious!  I hope the chemo meds are out of your system and that you are growing your skin back.  That sounds simply dreadful, and you are so matter-of-fact about it.  Your attitude is terrific, and hopefully contagious!

The problem with my meds was twofold. The meds was affecting my blood sugars and that was making me feel bad plus being out in the sun while taking an expermental chemo drug for the kidney cancer caused the rash and, per the doctors at M D Anderson Hospital, caused my exposed areas to "cook" from the inside out causing the peeling. If you was to take the most severe sunburn you ever had then multiply it times 2 you'll have an idea of what I went thru. The doctors took me off my meds for a short period to let my system clear up but want to keep me on what I'm taking because it's working and and I'm getting excellant reports on my blood work and scans. Just hate not being able to get out in the sun unless I'm wearing long pants, long sleeve shirts and a hat. Then you add the A-fib I'm going thru plus a second stint. Where does this crap stop!

nela

It stops - at least for the moment - when you get lost playing music.

Good on you, NELA!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Very well said zurf......

NELA, your sunshine now comes from within.
                                                                                                                                            Dave

Hopefully the professional instruction will not inspire you to new heights with your music, but also increase your enjoyment & sense of accomplishment on the way. Nothing like learning something brand new to boost one's morale.