Topic: GUITAR: Changing your style

I saw the topic posted by Old Doll, and reading this topic made me kind of curious. I play, about 30 years, and in the evolution you see when you play is sometimes very obvious.
There are a few things to write, they tell me that I am a pretty good player, but I am open for everything. I think, playing the guitar ALONE, that there are many obstacles
- learning how to play
- rhythm difficult when playing alone
- how do you play your instrument: what style
I know that when I was still working, my style remained the same for years, but I also saw my progress, and until today my opinion is, if you put a song, or a complete CD in your device, and you can play within a few minutes, the same melody, that you have at least a skill.
Again WHO AM I TO SAY THAT I AM GOOD? When I hear other people play the guitar, I am shrinking very fast, like from 187 cm to 20 cm. I came to the point that I am good playing (strumming, playing a melody on a string while strumming at the same time.

CONCLUSION: if you play YOUR style, YOUR way to play your guitar since 30 years it seems almost impossible, how great my desire is (in my case FINGER PICKING) to learn new ways to play.
I tried too play the finger picking style, but I get nervous, impatient with a result: I can do this maybe, but I am maybe to impatient or is it really difficult to change the way you play?
Am I alone, or are there other players, suffering from the same problem.
What to do about this? I tried instruction videos, but 5 minutes later I am strumming again.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: GUITAR: Changing your style

Discipline, practice, and patience. 

A story on Roy Clark.  Apparantly he was a very good jazz musician who enjoyed the old standards and could play them exceptionally well while bringing his own style to it, but on stage he stuck with "Pickin' and Grinnin'."  Why?  Because that's what he thought people were paying to hear and he was humble enough that he wanted to play for them and not for him.  The point is, playing in several styles isn't everything.  What is important is that you please yourself (or if you are a pro, your audience too).   If you want to play finger picking, play finger picking and if it sounds awful so be it.  Eventually you'll be playing with style and panache.

- Big D

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have to agree with you, Phil. Playing alone hampers your ability to get the rhythm correct and I always find it hard to adapt when someone else is with me (not very often). But you do adapt. Probably both players adjust to each other and have to stick quite rigidly to the mathematical rhythm without deviating on personal tastes or grooves.

I would also love to finger pick and can do it to a certain extent but am by no means proficient (my figer nails are too short for a start). Like you, I always slide back into strumming with a few runs and licks thrown in. I'm definetely a better flat picker than finger picker by a long way and find it near impossible to master finger picking.

This is probably because I have never had any instruction on the best method or technique. And at 40 with a family and full time job I'm not likely to get any instruction any time soon.

But hey, it gives me something to work on on those rainy dark nights.

I'm not a very good player, but when the campfire is roaring or the family are round and full of whisky, it aint half a whole lotta fun.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I too would like to fingerpick better. I can hold my own but I want to progress to a more advanced style. I have decided to go to a music school just for this alone. As a dad with a family and full time work I have decided to take the time for myself. Even just a half hour a week to get the right technique will help. Also setting goals. Here's where I would like to get. The bar is set high but I will be happy with just 50% of how Tommy Emmanuel plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX0eTp7SoNU

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

Hey There Michel, I was very impressed with that version of Classical Gas. WOW. My question is can someting like that be preformed (fingerpicked) without  amplification. My expierience with my attemps at fingerpcking is that it does not come out that loud. Also Claude DeBussy has  music lessons. Have you any knowledge if they are any good for more advanced lessons

what a long strange trip it's been

Hi,
Sorry to jump in here been fingerpicking for years I love it. Nothing like as good as Tommy Emmanuel but one can dream.

Your right Tommy and most pickers on stage use some type of amplifier but the Acoustic has its own unique sound.

Yourve probably seen it on Utube but I just love this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3hrDeuc … lated&

patrickjacques wrote:

Hey There Michel, I was very impressed with that version of Classical Gas. WOW. My question is can someting like that be preformed (fingerpicked) without  amplification. My expierience with my attemps at fingerpcking is that it does not come out that loud. Also Claude DeBussy has  music lessons. Have you any knowledge if they are any good for more advanced lessons

I haven't met their teachers yet so I can't tell about their advanced classes. I will get around to seeing them. My nephew is taking biginners lessons there and he is progressing quite well. I have heard good and bad about them but people are quite subjective about these things so I will make up my mind after speaking to them more. Their sales manager that let you try his Gibson can really play but does not teach. He admits that he is really not a teacher but does praise the ones that do. I guess I'll just have to sign up and see for myself.

Michel

I just got done watching the Clapton Crossroads concert and it gave me the desire to start taking some lessons myself. Congadulations on your new home, are you very far from Longueuil

what a long strange trip it's been

about half an hour, we bought in a much more rural area.....ahh peace and quiet!