Topic: A few hours busking, sort of...

http://www.sylvanbeach.org/calendar/eve … 2014-07-14

So, per the link above, every Monday folks can set up at no charge to sell thier crafts and what not.  I went down last year once (or was it the year before?) and didnt know too many songs then.  So my 9 year old dance queen went down with me last night.  There were a total of three other people set up to sell their junk.  It was overcast and drizzle on and off.  We made $4 and had an AWESOME time!  Honestly, I don't think we would have made anything if it wasn't for Stephs amazing dance skills.  She has been known to bring people to tears.  She even stopped and sang a few with me, and attempted to play her ONE song (Tom Dooley because its only two simple chords).  When someone tried to sell us their junk, and asked our names, she thought it was because they were admiring us (I know it was all about the sale), she felt famous.  Lol!!!  She can't wait for next Monday.
So, all you upstate NYers... if you are up for a drive some Monday, want to jam for a bit and see a beautiful sunset and walk around in a quaint old town with a teenie tiny amusment park remiscient of Coney Island, come on over!  We are planning to go every Monday if the weather is nice.  I hear there was a magician there once, and when the weather is nice a lot more people show up.  But we don't care about that, it's just plain fun and some awesome bonding time!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: A few hours busking, sort of...

Excellent, only 249 more Monday nights like that and you can afford another Martin!

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Mkm sounds like fun,and maybe I will make it to N.Y. someday it's on my bucket list. I do have too travel out there soon too see my sons and granddaughters, they are in S.carolina and Georgia.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Good for you both. Next time we want a video of the performance please smile

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Zurf wrote:

Excellent, only 249 more Monday nights like that and you can afford another Martin!

249X2 ... Steph's contract demands half the take!  On the brights side, $2 is a lot to a 9 year old, so shes excited about the cash.  Lol!  I guess my $2 pays for the gas.  Good thing we live close and I drive a rollerskate.

Every time you play for people you don't know,you learn something and gain a little more confidence. Good for you Amy! And to have your daughter there to perform with you is just priceless. You will both hold those memories close forever.
We live about an hour and a half drive from there. Monday nights are a little tough,but maybe I can take the Misses along as we have never been to this spot to see a sunset:-) I'd love to hear you sing live!! And I'll be more than happy to play along for a couple songs.
We are on vacation the last week of Aug. but will try to get out there sooner.
                                                                                                                                                                                  Dave

mekidsmom wrote:
Zurf wrote:

249X2 ... Steph's contract demands half the take!  On the brights side, $2 is a lot to a 9 year old, so shes excited about the cash.  Lol!  I guess my $2 pays for the gas.  Good thing we live close and I drive a rollerskate.

You may have to get a Seagull instead.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Thats awesome - I hope the both of you get "discovered" and make a ton of $ with your talents!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Do not forget to pay your taxes. Big Brother is watching and needs the money to pay their legal fees.

Nela

Amy,
What a great story! Thanks for sharing.

And Zurf, nothing wrong with a Seagull but you know what they say, it's not a Martin.
Dj

Amy if you go came here to San Francisco the people make a lot of money around fishermans warf busking the tourist and locals love it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Nice account, Amy ... thanks for telling us about it.

Someone posted a vid recently which featured you singing & playing (wow!) and I wouldn't be surprised if you drew a good crowd.

You only made $4 bucks? Did you pass 'round the hat?

I was in Charlottsville, VA last week. In the downtown area there seemed to be one busker per block. I loved it. Don't like the music, walk a block. It was like turning the dial on the radio.

Charlottesville is a cool town.  I've heard some pretty good busking in Fredericksburg too, right outside one of my favorite music stores I've ever been in...Pickers Supply.

And yeah...MKM ought to draw a good crowd with her chops.

Monday is coming up again ... just around the corner!  Hopefully there'll be more than 3 other people there, and we'll get a few people walking by and not just driving past in their cars.  I'm sure that'll make a difference!  They "allow" people to set up here for free because it's a really low traffic area, and Monday's are very slow in the town (everyone leaves Sunday).  I don't expect much, at all.  It's not really busking in the traditional sense.  I'm set up outside my car as are the craft people selling their wares.  I've thought about setting up along the canal where people are known to walk, or closer to the amusement park.  The down side is I have my little people with me, and Kate (has autism) can't be trusted to stick super close by if she comes along.  Steph wants to dance.  So this works, for the fun of it.  I'm thinking of maybe setting up in the grass between the parking lot and the walkway along the lake's shore so Steph has more room to dance, and set up the guitar case (money please!) close to where I think the foot traffic will be IF people should choose to walk by us.  We'll see how it goes, just hoping it doesn't rain again!  smile

Seed the pot.  Good luck.

17 (edited by Grah1 2014-07-19 17:05:52)

Way to go Amy I hope you have a great time ,make sure you get some video then us who can't be there get to enjoy it to. I love busking Cindy and I spent about 3hrs in the streets of Matala the day after we played  our set at the festival this year just jaming and playing stuff not normally in our sets ,it was great when folks stopped us and said how come you sent on the main stage to which I replied should have been here yesterday when we were.

Amy if you sing loud enough they will come your voice is that good!

Ditto Dino48... 
Wish I was in NY to hear you irl (in real life)
It's been a long time since I joined in on the skype jam but you (and everyone else) were great.
Have fun and keep Steph dancing thru the day