Topic: how to play this??

can anyone please give me an idea on how to play this..
im confuse of the numbers in-line downwards.

trivium-detonation
e|-------------------------------------------------------------|
B|-------------------------------------------------------------|
G|--4----3----4----3--6-6---4----3-----------------------------|
D|--2----1----2----1--4-4---2----1-----------------------------|
A|--2----1----2----1--4-4---2----1------1-4-1-------3-6-3------|
E|----00--------00------------00----0-3-------3-2-5-------5----|

blink182- stay together for the kids
  e|---------------------------------|
    B|---------------------------------|
    G|---------------------------------|
    D|-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-|
    A|-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-|
    E|-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-|

D|-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-0-|
    A|-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-|
    E|-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-0-|

my guitar is like my brother.
we never get along..

Re: how to play this??

First off get the guitar neck up high so hand stretches are easier.

1) Trivium- Detonation, is powerchords. You want your first two fingers on the A and D strings and then your ring or pinkie hanging off two frets down. You could try holding A and D with your first finger only, see which is more comfortable for you. After that it's just a matter of sliding up and down the guitar striking the open E string. Then the powerchording stops and your left hand needs to make some double-stop type moves on the A string.

2) Blink 182 - more powerchord but done as barre chord G (F shape on the 3rd fret), just make sure you only play the top 3 strings to keep the distortion uncluttered.

Last tab looks real tough, make the 5 and 4 covers right at the fret and then stretch back so that your first finger can just about catch the 2nd fret. Or possibly hook your thumb over, but you may do no more than mute it...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

what does the numbers represent? the number downwards in-line are played all together? by looking at this could you tell how to play it? does it tell you the chord?

we never get along..

yeah, together. for instance this would be an open D. the tabs you posted are mostly powerchords. hope this helps

--2---
--3--
--2--
--0--
------
------

She aint exactly pretty, she aint exactly small
but at 42-39-56, you could say she's got it all....

Hi NZ, the numbers are the frets you need to finger, unfortunately the give no clues about which fingers to use to get them. You read the tab from left to right. Often the best fingers to use are the same as chords you already know, so the first line of Trivium is really just a Bm chord.

The trick is only playing a few strings, not the whole lot like in normal acoustic strumming. If you want to strum naturally then an electric guitar needs to be set to low-gain, low volume, mid-tone which gives a thin cheap sound, 60s Surf and GaragePunk bands used it. But for modern rock you want the big distorted solo sound that high-gain (overdrive) gives. The downside is normal strumming makes a crashing 'cluttered' sound, you sometimes hear industrial/kraut/death metal rock bands use it, but it grates after a while. So powerchords avoid playing all the strings for a focused sound and fingering is often easier.

hi guys thanks for your replies.
im still kinda confused though.
can you please give me an exmaple something like this, but something that is not powerchord, something more simplier. coz i really dont know powerchords yet. thanks.

we never get along..

How are your F and B chords NZ?

F and B are the beginning of playing barre shapes up and down the guitar neck. It's the shape being made on simple punk songs when the guitarist just appears to be moving up and down the neck real quick.

Powerchords just miss alot of it out by not playing all the strings. In a way powerchords are easier and some metal-heads use them without knowing anything else.

Look for my post on 'All Day and All Of The Night' by the Kinks, which is one big F chord barre fest.

Okay tabs are real easy just the number is the fret you'll pout your finger on on that string, if there is a zero you play an open string, and if there is nothing you dont play any note on that string.

cytania wrote:

How are your F and B chords NZ?

F and B are the beginning of playing barre shapes up and down the guitar neck. It's the shape being made on simple punk songs when the guitarist just appears to be moving up and down the neck real quick.

Powerchords just miss alot of it out by not playing all the strings. In a way powerchords are easier and some metal-heads use them without knowing anything else.

Look for my post on 'All Day and All Of The Night' by the Kinks, which is one big F chord barre fest.

my F and B are fine ican do them easily.  okay, so powerchords are just all other chords but played some of thier strings, not all strings. so every chord can be a powerchord?

maybe im confuse because, i still dont know how to read this kind of tabs. but i understand the simple ones.

anyone kind enough to teach me how to read tabs?

we never get along..

rainman wrote:

Okay tabs are real easy just the number is the fret you'll pout your finger on on that string, if there is a zero you play an open string, and if there is nothing you dont play any note on that string.

yup, i know rainman. but how do i finger this? for example:

e|-------------------------------------------------------------|
B|-------------------------------------------------------------|
G|--4----3----4----3--6-6---4----3-----------------------------|
D|--2----1----2----1--4-4---2----1-----------------------------|
A|--2----1----2----1--4-4---2----1------1-4-1-------3-6-3------|
E|----00--------00------------00----0-3-------3-2-5-------5----|

blink182- stay together for the kids
    D|-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-|