Topic: Learning a New Song and Einstein

Do you recall Albert Einstein's explanation of relativity?

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity."

I was thinking of that while trying to learn a piece that many of you have probably already mastered--the opening solo to "Stairway to Heaven." See, when I first started bumbling my way through it, the opening four measures seemed to take an hour to play. Then, after I could kind of play them, they seemed to go by so quickly. I was really disappointed; I'd only learned a section that took about 10 seconds to play!

Re: Learning a New Song and Einstein

http://cdo.seymourduncan.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/sadsad.jpg

Denied!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Nah.  I don't play anything 'right.'  Keep up the good work though.  Every time you transcribe even ten seconds worth of something, you've learned a tremendous amount about how notes go together.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

4 (edited by Artie'splaying 2014-07-03 17:38:25)

Not again! You know, I had this dream of going into my local Guitar Center, pulling a guitar off the wall, and treating the ladies to a little "Stairway," but now, I guess I'll just stick to "Wish You Were Here."

Zurf wrote:

Nah.  I don't play anything 'right.'  Keep up the good work though.  Every time you transcribe even ten seconds worth of something, you've learned a tremendous amount about how notes go together.

Thanks for your encouraging words, Zurf!

Good one Jerome,I loved that movie!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Way to go, Artie!

Funny how an iconic piece of music like this one continues to entertain, inspire, and challenge us. Most of the guys at the various music stores have heard every level of talent going, so are likely beyond "impressing". If you are enjoying your own progress, then you are the big winner. If no one else is impressed or appreciative, well then they can just go pick their nose.

Jimmy is my favorite all time player and Zep is one of my all time favorite bands.   "Over the Hills and Far Away" is my own personal benchmark piece.

My only problem with Stairway is that it's not even the best song on that record, but it gets all the press.

jerome.oneil wrote:

Jimmy is my favorite all time player and Zep is one of my all time favorite bands.   "Over the Hills and Far Away" is my own personal benchmark piece.

My only problem with Stairway is that it's not even the best song on that record, but it gets all the press.

I absolutely love "Over the HIlls and Far Away" . . . still remember the first time I heard it. I was mesmerized.  It's going to be a while before I attempt to learn that one!

Einstien  did play the Violin.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

Einstien  did play the Violin.

He almost certainly played the violin better than I play the guitar. However, I bet I could beat him at Halo!

12 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-07-04 09:55:28)

The opening riff for "Over the Hills and Far Away" is a great bit to practice the hammer-on / pull-off technique. The tab (on Chordie) done by Jimmy Pena is the way I play it (in "G") and it's really not as hard as it looks / sounds. Otherwise I certainly couldn't do it! (LOL) And it sounds a gazillion times better on a 12-string ... can't wait to get one.

This rendition of "Stairway to Heaven" by Heart was part of a tribute concert at the Kennedy Centre, featuring Jason Bonham on drums:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e2fJfid … feature=kp

Anne Wilson's vocals are absolutely bone-chilling ... that gal can really sing.

Think most all guitar players at some point attempt to play Stairway To Heaven. After 35 plus years I still can't play it note for note. And I must admit, can't play anything else note for note either. But can fake just about everything! lol...
                                                                                                                                                          Dave

Did ya ever wonder why there's only a "stairway to heaven" but a "highway to hell"?

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

bluejeep wrote:

Did ya ever wonder why there's only a "stairway to heaven" but a "highway to hell"?

I think its from the bible quote "wide is the gate to perdition and narrow the gates to heaven" something along those lines cant recall the exact wording

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Tenement Funster wrote:

The opening riff for "Over the Hills and Far Away" is a great bit to practice the hammer-on / pull-off technique. The tab (on Chordie) done by Jimmy Pena is the way I play it (in "G") and it's really not as hard as it looks / sounds. Otherwise I certainly couldn't do it! (LOL) And it sounds a gazillion times better on a 12-string ... can't wait to get one.

This rendition of "Stairway to Heaven" by Heart was part of a tribute concert at the Kennedy Centre, featuring Jason Bonham on drums:

I loved this it is a fantastic tribute to Zepplin I have seen it several times and each time it thrills me smile

Russell_Harding wrote:
bluejeep wrote:

I think its from the bible quote "wide is the gate to perdition and narrow the gates to heaven" something along those lines cant recall the exact wording

Got to thinking that maybe there's more traffic going down.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

bluejeep wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:
bluejeep wrote:

Got me to thinking there is no up or down in 6 billion years the sun will explode and take the solar system and earth with it and in space there is no up down or sideways hopefully the human race will be advanced enough to leave for another star system and survive otherwise is adios

Tenement Funster wrote:

I've got that video bookmarked and watch it frequently. It's an amazing performance--in fact, everybody who performed at that concert did a wonderful job.

In case anyone is also trying to learn  "Stairway to Heaven" I'm finding Justin Sandercoe's videos on YouTube very helpful.

Well, with the help of Justin and Songster, I can now do the the first 16 bars of "Stairway," albeit, at 1/2 speed. Now it's over to my local Guitar Center to show the kids that this baby boomer can still ROCK! big_smile

Russell_Harding wrote:
bluejeep wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

Got me to thinking there is no up or down in 6 billion years the sun will explode and take the solar system and earth with it and in space there is no up down or sideways hopefully the human race will be advanced enough to leave for another star system and survive otherwise is adios

Always the optimist!  big_smile

Artie'splaying wrote:

Well, with the help of Justin and Songster, I can now do the the first 16 bars of "Stairway," albeit, at 1/2 speed. Now it's over to my local Guitar Center to show the kids that this baby boomer can still ROCK! big_smile

Way to go, man! Just keep playing it over at Guitar Center, until they take down their sign and bash you with it.

Now that I think about it I would not buy a guitar from a store unless they let me play stairway,I would get it somewhere else.

I think it's great to learn a piece of music note perfect but to mess around with it and make it your own is better. Jimi never played the same music twice and Dylan would alter chord sequence, timing etc, and really who in a wider audience would remember exactly how things go? So I think note perfect is good but to ad lib a bit is better

Thick as two short planks