Topic: Arpeggios?

Playing simple Elvis - see below - and the writer says playing in Arpeggios is a nice way to do it. What exactly does this mean?

m]like a river [Am]flows
[Em]surely to the [Am]sea
[Em]darling so it [Am]goes
[Em]some things were [A7]meant to [Dm]be[G7]
Take my hand take my whole life tocause i can't help falling in love with you(Bridge)(Last verse + repeat last line)
there you have it. playing arpeggios is a nice way to play this one. enjoy.

Re: Arpeggios?

Arpeggiating over a chord means that you don't strum all strings that make up your chord at the same time but play a little pattern with the single strings of a chord by using your fingers.

There are a lot of nice patterns for Chord Arpeggios, and I have to admit, I'm not really good at fingerpicking, but for this song you could try a similar pattern than the one usually used with "House of the rising sun".

For each Chord, play the Bass String, then G-String, B-String, high-E-String, B-String, G-String.

Play the bass string of the chord with your thumb(t), the G string with your index finger(i), the B String with your middle finger (m), and The high E String with you ring finger (r).

So, fingerwise, you would get the following pattern:
t-i-m-r-m-i

Hope it helped.

Cheers,
nc

3 (edited by cytania 2007-07-25 11:08:02)

Hi J, an arpeggio is where the strings of the guitar are picked in order, either up or down. So typically you'd pluck the root note for the chord and then finger the last 3 or 4 strings using a finger for each string, although you could drag the pick for a similar effect. So for the Em chord you'd hit low E with your thumb then pluck the G string with your first finger, then pluck the B string with your second finger and then pluck high-E with your ring finger. Arpeggios with the little finger are harder as this is the weakest digit. A reverse arpeggio would be root, then working up E B G. 'Love Is All Around' is a good one to practise this on, as it sounds 'right' reverse arpeggio-ed.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Thanks guys. Mind you, as I never studied music, some of the terminology is leaving me a bit behind. I can ask my 19 yerar old son but he takes the guitar off me, shows me some complicated stuff, goes off into another tune altogether and then walks off with the guitar!!!
Now I can read TAB ok, but generally leave it alone as my picking is horrendous. However, it just so happens that someone taught me how to pick house of the rising sun so I'm clueing in here as to how to do it. Can you give me TABS for the arpeggios for each of the chords or someplace on the net where I can find them? I promise to keep at it!!
I don't play with a pick - strum with back of four finger nails and thumbnail the up-stroke. You should see my son's face at my playing...

As for tabs on arpeggios, it's like cytania wrote:

Play the root of the chord with your thumb ( for Em that's the open Low E String, For Am it's the open A String), then do a pattern with your first second and third finger on the G, B, High E String.

Em                                     Am
E---------------0------------------------------------0-----------
B-----------0--------0-------------------------1--------1--------
G--------0----------------0--------------2-----------------2-----
D----------------------------------------------------------------
A---------------------------------0------------------------------
E-----0----------------------------------------------------------
     like          a        river     flows

See the pattern? It's always root note G B E B G. The root note is usually on the lowest (in terms of pitch) String that is involved in Chord.

So for your Elvis song, you need the chords Em, Am, A7, Dm7, G7, you can look those up in the resource section here at chordie.com

Remember that the thumb plays the three low pitched strings, and your first, second and third finger stay on G B and E String respectively.
Practice on one chord until you can play the pattern at tempo, use a metronome if you have one. By that time, the muscles in your hands will have gotten accustomed to the pattern so that you can stop focusing on your picking hand and focus on the chord changes and the singing.

Cheers,
nc

This might be intersting:

http://www.geocities.com/mike_mccracker … /intro.htm

Cheers guys. It now makes sense! I will have a go. It's not easy, but it does sound good.