Topic: guitar comparison

I am considering upgrading my beginner acoustic to an electric-acoustic and would like input on what to purchase.  I think that I have narrowed my choice to either Gibson or Taylor.  I would welcome ideas and comments on the pros of both of these brands.

Re: guitar comparison

Both are great brands.  You can't go wrong with either one.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

As Zurf said both are great guitars. I currently own two Martins and two Taylors. Taylor 314ce is my workhorse I love it. My T5 is great with 5 different pickup sounds. Both play very easy and battery changing is the easiest, you don't need to remove strings to change battery. I also had a 714ce which was also a very nice guitar. Can't go wrong with a Taylor. I've owned many Gibson electrics but no acoustics. Still Gibsons are great. I think Taylor has many more affordable guitars. But try them both as many models as you can. The right one will make your decision for you. Enjoy the experience.

Joe

Thank you for your  comments.  As you can see, I am very new at all of this.  I have a chance to buy a used 814ce Taylor for about the same price I can get a new Gibson J-35.  A lot of $ for me so I want to make the best choice.

Martins and Taylors are great for sure but if price is a concern (and for me it is) I would suggest putting your hands around an Epiphone "MasterBilt" DR-500 NS.I love mine.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Go play them, then make a decision.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

For the Money Seagul all the way.

jerome.oneil wrote:

Go play them, then make a decision.

That's the best way too decide,I do not think you would buy a car till you try it out.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Welcome, Cholly. You asked which of the "Big Three" is the best guitar - Martin, Taylor or Gibson. Each of these have their own "quirks" as to sound, finish and playability. To answer your question I don't know. It would depend on your style of playing, the sound you are looking for and the type of music you like. These guitars that you are asking about are all great instruments but that don't make them special. For me I would try to play as many of the different guitars available as possible until I had the one that I just couldn't do without in my hands. Visit as many music stores as possible, play ALL the guitars and when you find the ONE yoiu'll know it. Don't limit yourself to one of the BIG THREE, look at all brands. Finding the "ONE" is not an easy task. What do you want, dread, parlor, jumbo, cutaway? What tone wood is best for the sound you want - mahogony, cedar, rosewood, maple, koa? Now you've paid the big bucks for your acoustic / electric guitar - now what amp works best for the sound you want? More dollars spent.

Nela

Thanks to all for your very good comments.  I will follow the advice given on here and try to play as many as I can.  I had mentioned the Taylor brand because an opportunity to purchase a used 814ce has come up and I would hate to pass on a deal that I would regret later on.  Unforturnately, my playing skills are still in the "developmental" stages, ha! So, I can't tell if my poor playing is making a guitar sound bad or it's the guitar itself...LOL.
I love listening to all of your comments because I can tell there is a lot of wisdom and experience on here.
thanks again!

Sure Cholly - But you can tell whether a guitar fits your hand, whether the neck is a comfortable shape that allows you to make chords more or less easily.  As far as tone, you can pluck the open strings and hear whether they ring or buzz or thump, and you can decide whether you like ringing, buzzing, and thumping. 

I do recommend trying things out, guitar-wise.  For my money, Gibsons are a great combination of sound and playability but I don't expect I'll ever buy one.  Every Gibson I've held has felt a little off in my hands.  Others swear by them.  To me, nothing sounds as good as a Martin and not plays as easily as a Taylor.  All that said, when I bought a high end guitar, it was a Guild.  I tried Gibsons, Martins, Taylors, Larrivees, and quite a variety of guitars, but the Guild jumped out as sounding and feeling the best to me.  Up until putting my hands on them, and hearing them being played, I'd never have thought that I would pick a brand owned by Fender.  I don't particularly like Fender's acoustic instruments, but here it is.  A high end guitar I never considered from a brand I would have ignored and it's the one I decided to plop my money down on.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

My 2 cents,, You sound like your ready to dump some cash,, I understand beginner guitars being quickly outgrown,, however if you dont HAVE to get caught up in the Big 3, or 4 top names.  I have bought this very nice guitar for my son,, and I love it! I would suggest you take a look at guitarfettish dot com.  here is the link to the one I bought and the step up. these are very wel made guitars. As with any guitar you buy,, you will need to have it set up and possible (due to the lower price) need the frets filed as they are sometimes sharpish. but over all,, everyone who has picked up this guitar can not believe how good it is.

This is the one we have at home http://www.guitarfetish.com/Sunburst-Cu … _8013.html

this is the one I want also http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV220SCE-Me … _8104.html

and the top one they have is still a great deal an d look at its features! http://www.guitarfetish.com/SUNBURST-So … _4740.html

also DEAN makes some beautiful A/E guitars  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acoustic-guitars/dean

Hope this helps.  Just remember that no matter what guitar you buy even the big 3, they all need to be set up for your playing style.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

13 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-08-28 19:59:14)

As others have already said, the brand isn't so important as how it feels in your hand, and sounds to your ear. I personally haven't found a guitar that's made with laminated wood which sounds as good as an all solid wood construction ... especially unplugged. The glue in laminated woods just doesn't resonate like natural wood, because the glue fills the pores in the wood, and stiffens the response to the string's vibrations. Whatever brand you decide upon, it will be worthwhile to compare the all-solids to the laminates. You'll hear the difference in the body, depth, and richness of the guitar's sound.

Cholly,
One thing more I'd like to mention. If you don't know a lot about guitars get someone you know who does ,to go with you. They can look over the guitar and make sure it is good playing condition and no repair issues need to be addressed. The 814ce is very high end Taylor.  If it's a good deal as you say then it will have a good resale value for you should you decide to sell.

Joe