Topic: Capo

My singing voice is in the mid to high base range started playing country road it say reg tuning capo 2nd fret question is the capo is moor for singing voice then guitars voice. Using capo sounds to high to me

Let no talents go unused

2 (edited by bensonp 2013-04-22 16:20:28)

Re: Capo

Usually if it says capo, it just means that is where to original is played.  Disregard it and play where it suits your voice.  A capo is used for allowing you to sing at your own comfortable key.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Art, I agree with Pete. Play it where you are comfortable singing it. Capo or no capo or capo to a higher or lower spot on the fretboard. You may even consider transposing to a key easier for you to sing in. Too many people get hung up on playing a song in the original key. Just do whereever it works best for you. Just have Fun!!!!

Joe

What I like about a capo it allows me to transpose to another key and use a different chord form it gives the song a nice quality smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

so I sound like a frog when I sing,maybe I will capo to F.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

A singer cannot alter his/her vocal range, a musician can very easily change key so:

The golden rule is the music is played in the key that the singer finds comfortable.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger Guppy wrote:

A singer cannot alter his/her vocal range, a musician can very easily change key so:

The golden rule is the music is played in the key that the singer finds comfortable.

Roger

The key word musician

Let no talents go unused

if you guys capo 1 when playing in F you'll never have to play the dreaded b. Just saying.

I'll echo Russell's comment about being able to change chord forms when using a capo. For flat-pickers, this is very useful for wanting to free up a finger or two to add some detail throughout the song.

I think one should learn to comfortably play every major and minor chord, in every position, before one would get a capo. Don't use a capo every time you have to play a B, or you'll never learn to play a B without one. Don't turn such a useful tool into a crutch.

i don't know if it is just me but i would tune my guitar in a double d down for a deep bass to a high base and a concert E if you have a tenor or high bass

can someone explain how does a capo actually change the key to a song? If i place the capo on the 4th fret, what does that mean?

at one time Mykidsmom had a chart for that exact question.,, anyone know where it is now?

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Junas, it raises the pitch of open position chords by four 1/2 steps. So instead of an "e" shape chord sounding an "e" it would sound a G#/Ab.

The capo is your friend. It allows you to change the "key" of a song very quickly and use chords that are more "user" friendly to some players. It can also allow the use of "open" chords and restrict the "need" for barre chords. The important thing to know is the fret board and how the placement of a capo will change the "voicing" of the guitar. The capo allows the use of simple chords to match the singers voice range. As an example your singing voice is more comfortable in Bb. Your choices would be to play extremely difficult barre chords or to use a capo and simple chords. So, capo first fret, the capo now becomes the "nut" (or the index finger for making a barre chord). Play the chords of A, D and E. The A chords now has the "voice" of a "Bb" chord, the D chord now sounds as if you are plying a Eb chord and a simple E chord now is an F chord. Look in the Music Theory thread (stickies) for the Capo chart - print it out, keep it with you  and learn it. As the old saying goes "you can play thousands of songs by only knowing 3 chords - with those same 3 chords and a capo you can now play hundreds of thousands of songs.

Nela

Mekidsmom put a sticky at the top of the acoustic forum section. works great!

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Capo Conversion Chart can be found here:  http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15164  (as Bluejeep said)...  I love my capo!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

18 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-09-08 19:26:38)

Chordie has a wonderful function to transpose keys, which you can also learn to do automatically when you play, or use a capo. As Russell said, my main reason for using the capo is to have different chord shapes available. A capo is only a one-way ticket though, as it can only key things up and not down ... a problem for us folks with a deeper voice. Maybe someone should invent a capo for the vocal chords!

For example, "Life's a Long Song" (Jethro Tull) is played in G. But it sounds and plays much better with the capo on the 5th fret, using the same chord shape as you would for D, instead being played at the 7th fret.