Topic: PUNK

I am more or less familiar with punk music, like the SEX PISTOLS, back in 1977, when I was 22 years old. It was a kind of music movement hating people like Rod Stewart, The Rolling Stones, and a lot more. Their slogan was NO FUTURE, because as far as I know, they were afraid of the future. But on the other side, except for their music, WHAT WAS THEIR CONTRIBUTION, and 30 years later, they are having reunions (like Johnny (Lydon) Rotten) to have money.
They were against the so called "establishment"against the rich people, and I have only 1 answer they cheated us all. Did they ever burn money, or refuse money? A very interesting fact was that the Sex Pistols received a lot of money by a label to terminate the contract, they are still holding the record of best paid artists to be kicked out. At least one man got rich here MALCOLM MC LAREN, I also don't believe that they couldn't play an instrument.

BUT THIS TOPIC IS ABOUT WHEN AND WHERE THE PUNK MOVEMENT AND MUSIC STARTED.
Iggy Pop and the Stooges, the New York Dolls (not you old doll) are considered as the founders or fathers of punk.
Where did it come from, is it an EVOLUTION of a music style, and is it still there? Green Day?
I would really love to share opinions.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

2 (edited by acmecorp 2007-07-26 13:22:18)

Re: PUNK

The Sex Pistols original line-up was Glen Matlock who could play bass, Steve Jones who could play guitar, Paul Cook who could play the drums.
What you think of Lydon's 'singing' is a matter of personal taste.

When they were recording some of the tracks for 'Never Mind the Bollocks', Sid Vicious (John Ritchie) had replaced Matlock and attempted to record some bass lines.

When he went home in the evening, Steve Jones layed down alternative bass lines and dropped Sid out of the mix.
Interestingly, he played a lot of double stop 'chords' on the bass (I know chords have three notes), which provides much of the powerful sound on tracks like 'God Save the Queen'

So yes, all of them, apart from Sid, could play.

cheers

David

I am the Antichrist, I am an anarchist, Don't know what I want but I know how to get it ...

You forgot the Ramones, who claimed bands like the Beatles as influences amongst other 60's stuff.

Their name as probably everyone knows comes from a Paul McCartney psuedonym. (If you don't know that story, ask me to elaborate).

"I'll be the rubbish, If you'll be the bin", TheDamned

Punk goes way back to the garage bands of the mid-sixties. Their best moments were gathered on the compilation 'Nuggets' and this was a key record for late seventies punks.

The New York Dolls/Ramones/Stooges way of telling things grossly over-simplifies things and misses out bands like Sparks and Mott The Hoople who had the looks and sound, but went off and did other things.

The story of punk is one big lie.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

You gotta give much credit to:
the Kinks
the Who
Lou Reed & the Velvet Underground
Johnathan Richman & the Modern Lovers
Iggy Pop

punk was anti establishment that ultimately confirmed & grew upon the very thing they were against but still should be enjoyed and served as a lesson

There is a guy on my block who lives for rock, he plays records day and night, and when he feels down he puts the rock and roll on and it makes him feel alright. - The Kinks, Rock And Roll Fantasy

Mott the Hoople, yeah, the Clash were big fans, but I don't classify the Clash as punk really.

I don't think that the term itself is particularly useful, would you call the Velvets a punk band, probably not but loads of so called punk bands claim them as an influence.

When that heroin is in my blood
And the blood is in my head
Then I thank God that I'm as good as dead

Yes thanks Lou, I don't think I'll be experimenting with that one then.

cheers

David

The only thing I know about punk is that Johnny Rotten (I think) said that Heavy Metal is what happened when the punk bands learned to play their instruments. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks, I know facts about punk, names of groups, and of course even the MOST ANTI PUNK person on the planet, should know the story of Sid Vicious (what names they used back then, wasn't J Rotten, not called because of his teeth) and Nancy Spungen (??) I was never a punk lover, even the fact that a lot of them have the same year of birth, 50% of The Clash are born in 1955, and Strummer in 1952, see also the stranglers. Looking for these guys on the web, I see always the same returning fact: influenced by the American punckrock music. But what I see even more, they all played "punk" for a very short period, and it's like they changed like nothing and started to play easier music for the ear. I am not talking about easy listening music. But I start to have a pretty good idea, where it all started. About Mott the Hoople, I didn't know this story, I know they had a huge hit with the "bowie song" all the young dudes. So as far as I can imagine, it DID START in the US, with groups like the ramones, NY dolls, IGGY & the stooges, and probably a lot more. And today, who arte the so called leading PUNK bands?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

gitaardocphil wrote:

So as far as I can imagine, it DID START in the US, with groups like the ramones, NY dolls, IGGY & the stooges, and probably a lot more.

Just one more thing for which America (the nation, not the band) owes the world an apology.  On the other hand, we did create the blues and gospel and twisted Scots highland music enough to turn it into bluegrass so maybe it's a wash.  big_smile

- Big D

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I love punk music, or some of it.
I love stiff little fingers ( as I keep saying all the time) without them GReen Day would sound a lot different, they were heavily infuenced by SLF. Not only were they punk singing abot anti establishment songs etc ,they also were big fans of reggie and done quite a few reggie songs. Jake burns got this idea and sond from The Clash, a superb punk band until the record company got their way and dictated to them.
Malcom MacLaren ( even though a manager) was infuenced for things different by The pink Floyds singer/songwriter....Yep, my old pal SYD barrett,he named syd vicious with Syd Barrett in mind. He loved Syd's zany behaviour and told Syd vicious how to act a lot of the time.
The ramones is a punk band I never really got into even though I am told time and time again they were superb, maybe  should get a few albums?

however on the other side of punk, which influenced thrash metal, I cannot stand, though a few songs from a few bands are ok.
The exploited, a punk band from early 80's now still going as a thrash metal band but still do those "hate them but got to love them" old punk songs.

Then there is the "pop" punks like Adam and the ants.
also the stranglers, they were very good and turned into sort of poppy punk.

there is a lot more to punk music than just rude behaviour, spiky hair, sery words etc.

And now I am going to do a newthread on more punk music,lol

Ken

( good post by the way)

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

yeah, America invented punk

don't think so

one night club in New York playing garage rock doesn't explain the impact that  punk rock had on UK in 1976-77

no one much listened to the Ramones or Johnny Thunders in the UK and no-one in america was buying punk in any substantial quantities until five years later (by which time punk had been and largely gone)

other home grown influences on punk were Reggae, the Kinks, Bolan, Hawkwind, Thin Lizzy

For those who want to know the history of punk:

http://www.fastnbulbous.com/punk.htm

There is a guy on my block who lives for rock, he plays records day and night, and when he feels down he puts the rock and roll on and it makes him feel alright. - The Kinks, Rock And Roll Fantasy