1 (edited by unclejoesband 2014-10-12 22:55:17)

Topic: NGD

OK. It's not new and it's not even for me. roll

My 26 year old step-son has been hinting around that he might be interested in learning to play guitar. I have one that he could use but I was thinking that he might be more inclined to stick with it if he had one he could call his own. So this morning I went to a flea market that I frequent and bought one to give to him for Christmas. It's a Fender F65. The fellow I bought it from said he bought it new for his son who played with it for a few months and gave it up. It's been in his closet for about 30 years; and it looks it. There are a couple very small scuffs on the face but other than that, it is beautiful. Even the pick guard looks new. He said he loosened the strings after it had set idle for a year. The neck is straight as an arrow and there is no sign of any bulge of the face at the bridge. The action is nice and low and the intonation is perfect. He put new strings on it to sell it so I got to belt out a quick tune before I took it. Actually had a few people stop and listen while I was testing it. He was asking $150. I pulled out a nice crisp $100 bill and asked if he would consider that. He came back with $110 and we shook hands.

So "Andrew" will now have his own guitar come Christmas time, with the stipulation that it reverts back to me and will not be sold if he decides he is not as interested as he thought he would.

Now let's see if I remember how to load pics.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv632%3A%3Dot%3E3%3B55%3D7%3A%3C%3D325%3DXROQDF%3E2878668483258ot1lsi

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7 … 3258ot1lsi

Re: NGD

Nice Looking guitar. Sounds like you got a good deal.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Happy NGD UJB - Hope it brings a lot of joy to Andrew!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Happy NGD to Andrew!!!

Glad you threw that stipulation in there, you never know....

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

5 (edited by dino48 2014-10-13 00:14:03)

Great find ujb happy N.G.D. Those $100.00 bill's are alot of persuasion.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

zguitar wrote:

Happy NGD to Andrew!!!

Glad you threw that stipulation in there, you never know....

He's only working part time right now so his money is really tight. I don't want him throwing it up on craigslist to make a couple fast bucks.

dino48 wrote:

Great find ujb happy N.G.D. Those $100.00 bill's are alot of persuasion.

Yeah. That's how I got the first mandolin. When I said no to $150 and started to walk away, the guy just couldn't let it go and agreed to the $100

Great find and some nice wheeler-dealing. I hope he sticks with it, if not you will nave a very nice back-up guitar smile.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Andrew's going to have a terrific instrument to start with, and we all hope he catches the interest right away.

Roger Guppy wrote:

Great find and some nice wheeler-dealing. I hope he sticks with it, if not you will nave a very nice back-up guitar smile.

Roger

Either way it works out I plan to remove the plastic nut and bridge and replace it with bone. Well, not me, but I'll have someone do it. I still marvel at what that small change back in the mid 80's did for my Epiphone. It's still my most played guitar after 30 years.

Well done. I hope Andrew likes it. This Andrew does.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Nice. The bridge is adjustable?

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Nice looking guitar!  Good deal too!  I just looked, for the sake of looking, and GC has a used one for $230 ( doubt in as good a shape as "yours").  Consider yourself a true wheeler dealer!  wink  I hope he enjoys it and sticks with it.  When money's tight, there's nothing better than having a guitar as a friend!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Nice find, Joe.

Nela

deadstring wrote:

Nice. The bridge is adjustable?

Yes.

mekidsmom wrote:

Nice looking guitar!  Good deal too!  I just looked, for the sake of looking, and GC has a used one for $230 ( doubt in as good a shape as "yours").  Consider yourself a true wheeler dealer!  wink  I hope he enjoys it and sticks with it.  When money's tight, there's nothing better than having a guitar as a friend!

I wheel and deal for everything. smile

When I got home yesterday I searched ebay and found they ranged from $150 to $300. The higher priced ones had snowflake inlays as fret markers.

Nice guitar & a good deal!
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

The art of the deal and a nice guitar. Well done.
dj