Topic: Why do you like the music you like?

Been thinking about the variances in people's musical tastes lately.

At the outset, we've all observed that there's a distinct break in tastes between people who play instruments and people who don't. But then we get into all of the different genres, and that's where go all over the place.

I've personally gravitated towards Prog Rock and Classical music for most of my life, simply because I'm drawn to complexity. I really like to hear the various notes, counter-points, etc. working together to produce the whole piece. This often involves both compositional skill and instrumental skill. Next to this, I like the emotional and intellectual effect that a well-written and well-played piece of music can accomplish. Some are tender, some are meaningful, and some are simply majestic. And so it goes ...

What's your favorite style of music, and WHY do you like it?

Re: Why do you like the music you like?

I  guess  for  me  its  blues because   all  the  music  I  enjoyed  in the  60s/70s was derived  from the  blues   and  the  more  I  researched  the  deeper  my  interest  became although  a  lot  of  my  own stuff  that  I  write  now  comes  out  a bit   folky  and  countrified  I  still  feel  its  mostly  rooted  in the  blues .

Blues,Rock and some jazz but mainly blues some country at certain times.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

In the 60's I primarily listened to early rock music with its simple lyrics and uncomplicated musical patterns, although I was a drummer playing mostly jazz and big-band music. When I was attending college some older friends took me to a bluegrass festival and it was a life changing experience.  I guess something about that style music spoke to my Appalachian heritage and its history of storytelling  - I sold my drums and never played them again, taking up the guitar years later. I still enjoy listening to Bluegrass groups and singer/songwriters that write simple songs about everyday life and what its like to live in small towns and rural areas. The poignancy of direct, well-written lyrics combined with simple musical accompaniment has been my biggest musical influence.  Kind of like applying the KISS principle to music.

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

i like songs that tell a story and of course words you can understand, which does not resonate with a lot of todays music.

my flirtation with music began in the early 50's as my mother always sang to me, then later when we got a radiogram my mother used to buy all the latest hits; rock around the clock etc. i loved the beatles from the time i heard "my bonnie" on radio luxemburg, not realising who they were until 1969!

i had friends that had a 3 piece band and they played cream, hendrix and john meyall, and jammed on occasion on drums and guitar (i wasn't very good then or now) so i got into that more rock orientated music. come the 70's and someone played me some yes, tull, genesis, supertramp as well as deep purple, status quo and black sabbath. so that's what i played when i got my own groups together.

like grah, i seem to write more folk/country style these days not cos i like that type of music but that's what comes out.

ps. i don't mention my father as he didn't know a tune from a murray mint

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

6 (edited by Artie'splaying 2014-10-20 21:00:31)

Some of my earliest musical memories are of listening to my brother's 45s. Jimmy Dean's "Big Bad John" stands out in my mind as a memorable song that drew me in by telling the story of a miner who sacrifices his life so that others can live. I also loved  Booker T and the M.G.s' "Green Onions." Maybe because of those recordings, I'm drawn to the sound of blues guitar, and to songs that have compelling, emotive lyrics.

The older country and blues music. It all tells a story that you've either lived or can imagine living. And most of the tunes are catchy, as well.

Nela

I started out in the early/mid 70's with heavy stuff; Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Blue Oyster Cult, Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Montrose, Grand Funk Railroad, etc. The louder the better. I went to my first concert with my uncle in, I believe '71. Three Dog Night played at a minor league baseball stadium that was 4 blocks down the street from us. I was not impressed. It wasn't heavy enough for me at the time.

As high school was coming to a close, I found my tastes began to change. I found bands like CCR, Allman Brothers, Marshall Tucker. I liked the clean sound they had with just a touch of heavy. 

Then came the progressive type bands and also a lot of concerts. Bands like Pink Floyd, ELP, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Moody Blues, etc. I think being there and hearing it live was a major turning point in what I enjoyed. The music was smooth and melodic and still had a good strong beat to it. This was also the time when I decided I wanted to learn to play guitar and make some of that music.

In '79 I was introduced to The Grateful Dead. They seemed to wrap a lot of my musical tastes into one package, with some Blues thrown in for good measure. smile That was something I had never been exposed to. In '82 I started following them up and down the East Coast so I completely missed the 80's Metal era.

So to wrap up, I guess musical taste is always changing and evolving. Give me music that shows off real musical talent and ability. The 3  "power chords" songs don't do it for me anymore.  I'll take something that will get me swaying and not just foot stomping. Although I do enjoy going to a Bluegrass show now and then. That's part of the reason I decided to pick up the mandolin.

Because I only like good music.

Duh!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Grah1 wrote:

I  guess  for  me  its  blues because   all  the  music  I  enjoyed  in the  60s/70s was derived  from the  blues   and  the  more  I  researched  the  deeper  my  interest  became although  a  lot  of  my  own stuff  that  I  write  now  comes  out  a bit   folky  and  countrified  I  still  feel  its  mostly  rooted  in the  blues .

CBGB('S)  OMFUG  BUDDY!    (OMFUG =Other Music For Uplifting Gormandizers". Although a gormandizer is usually a ravenous eater of food, what (Hilly)Kristal meant is "a voracious eater of ... music".  (For them of you who dont know wink  )

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

1. The groove
2. The story

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

12 (edited by beamer 2014-10-21 17:16:40)

Since most of the readers of this thread are the regulars, you guys know me. I love a story, from the 70s till now.  I love the harmony and do wop of the 50s.  I guess I’m rooted in the blues based styles.  I appreciate the complexity of classical, I like to hear it for a short time, but what I still get off on is some good heavy angst ridden music.  I gotta have a voice that can hit the notes and not scream all the time (screamo) but yet be able to carry a melody.  I still love "Real County" not the pop crapola they try to push now.  Not to say I don’t like modern artist.  Jamie Johnson still is one of my favorite current artists (but wish he would trim that scraggly duck dynasty beard! -oh an most everyone else with them, ZZ can keep theirs because they are not following a fad LOLOL)

For what ever reason Ima rocker. Most my acoustic stuff is slow, dark and moody but I try to evoke an image (thank Judas priest and Morrison for that) but I like a few bright major chord songs too LOLOL.

Don’t know if that answers the question or not.  CHEERS

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Awesome reading, guys! Keep it coming!

I guess my own "musical development" shares most in common with Uncle Joe, although my first album was Jethro Tull's "Stand Up" when I was 12 years old (1969) and I've been a Tulliano ever since. Looks like blues and country are the dominant favorites so far, which is completely understandable ... great stuff that tells the stories of people's life experiences.

i've got this story that i must impart; sometime in the 70's i was playing in a cabaret band (i cant believe i revealed that fact) still, one of the guys sat up and recorded a radio show late at night, next day when he played a song to me that blew my mind and his, but he didn't know who the band was....sometime later i bought an album by a band called supertramp crime of the century and the track was on it! i said we have to do it, they said no! so i left...that's fair?

anyway saw them on their quietest moments tour in swansea, must be one of the best concerts i've ever seen.

My go to is 80's hair metal. That will always be my favorite. I love the guitar driven, let's have fun, party attitude that it was all about.

Now that I play guitar, acoustic blues is right at the top of my list also. I am amazed at what sounds the old timers could get out of their guitars. Most of it is very simple, but it's awesome,

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't mind admitting I like to show off and scream that's what attracted me to rock and the babes lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Old country because of its simplicity

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

hmmm... I like a lot of folk music, probably because that's what I was raised on, it's what Dad played on his guitar and what I learned to sing when I was introduced to music as a kid.  Yuppers, "Tom Dooley", "Rock Island Line", "If I had a hammer": all songs I was singing at 5 years old (and I'd like to note, I know these songs the way my Dad did them, not the way they were recorded.  When I hear recordings, I'm all "ewwwww, that's not right!"  So as a side, I'd like to say, MAKE IT YOUR OWN is a BIGGIE with me).  As time went on, there was Grandma playing Elvis on her already outdated 8 Tracks and Dad introduced me to "the longest song in history" (at the time, unless he was mistaken) - American Pie - and I won't ever forget the day we sat in his truck in the garage listening until the song was over.  As time went on I became a teen and listened to some of the more popular pop music while enjoying a bit of the dark side of lighter metal (insert Metallica, Poison, etc. 80's-90's hair bands and some earlier stuff I had missed before I learned how to stand RIGHT IN FRONT OF A SPEAKER and leave unable to hear).  I also did a lot of singing in school, so there was the whole "misc. musicals" time frame and even Italian Arias.  I can honestly say that I like a very VERY diverse amount of music!  I have introduced my kids to Phantom of the Opera sound tracks, Grease sound tracks AND "Tom Dooley" while I tend to let Daddy teach them about Metal and they choose all of this as well as current Pop on the radio. 

My go to music is folk, and a lot of Country because when it comes down to it, that's the stuff that I enjoy singing and other people enjoy hearing (if people liked hearing Italian Arias more, I might figure out how to play more classical style guitar, but no one wants to hear it and I'm happy strumming).  I still sing and enjoy it all though.... just some more privately than the rest!  wink

NO RAP... minimal amounts of hip-hop I can do though.  Oh, and when we are stressed... the littlest one and I like a little classical to relax us (along the lines of Beethoven), or "wedding music" as she calls it.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

i like what russ says about the screaming guitars and the BABES. must admit that was a big attraction to playing live. only thing is it seemed the roadies got all the girls while i/we were on stage. this life can be very unfair.

Phill Williams wrote:

i like what russ says about the screaming guitars and the BABES. must admit that was a big attraction to playing live. only thing is it seemed the roadies got all the girls while i/we were on stage. this life can be very unfair.

I would have hired ugly fat roadies lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

"Why do you like the music you like". Good question.
Well after much thought I came to conclusion I dont really know why.What I think I mean is that the answer is to complex to put into words. I could list the many types of music I like from classical to pop and also the types I don't but that would not be an answer.
All I know for sure is as I have got older my likes have got much broader and music I would have scoffed at in my youth now i find really quite good.
I guess I just like a good tune in all its varied forms..
ark

As I am getting a little more mature,I seem to gravitate more to the singer-songwriter type of music. It can be simple or complex,soulful or airy,fast or slow but always from the heart. Some very good artists reside right here in Chordie in fact.

Dave

To describe a musical taste and how you arrive at it would be like trying to weave a tapestry,  but for me the main thread would have to be The Who. In the 60's I think it was their stage antics rather than their skills as musicians that I noticed, although Pete Townshend had a great knack of writing unconventional songs, not the usual boy meets girl, I've been dumped stuff. Early 70s they seemed to abandon their British fans in favour of America. It was at this time I went to watch a band called Argent. The support band who's name I can't remember played a couple of numbers by someone I'd never head of till then, Neil Young. On checking out more of Mr Young's material it started an addiction that has lasted four decades. The style that comes over best to me is when he and other musicians like James Taylor can just sit with an acoustic guitar and maybe harmonica. A couple of others who I have recently become aware of are Bert Jansch and a Welshman, ok Phil two Welshmen. The other being Dave Evans both of whom seem to play the guitar so effortlessly it makes me want to smash mine, just like Pete Townshend

Thick as two short planks

Footnote to my last post: oops sorry I forgot, their are two L's in Phill.

Thick as two short planks

Phill Williams wrote:

i've got this story that i must impart; sometime in the 70's i was playing in a cabaret band (i cant believe i revealed that fact) still, one of the guys sat up and recorded a radio show late at night, next day when he played a song to me that blew my mind and his, but he didn't know who the band was....sometime later i bought an album by a band called supertramp crime of the century and the track was on it! i said we have to do it, they said no! so i left...that's fair?

anyway saw them on their quietest moments tour in swansea, must be one of the best concerts i've ever seen.

Thanks for bringing up Supertramp and "Crime of the Century." Wow, I loved that album!