Topic: Again about music

I am aware of the fact that the music is more related to mathematics than we think to know.
I hope that the scienists, especially in Math, are able to learn us about that relation, it started probably centuries before Pythagoras.
Music, drums in particular, were also used in wars, but why, to scare the enemy? to contact each other by playing in a different style? like birds do?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: Again about music

Well, as a Parapsychologist....

I have no viewpoint whatsoever.
Because I'm a Parapsychologist and mediocre (what does that mean?) musician, not a drummer.

Good question though.

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

I find the maths/music link to be fascinating. As a rule if you are good in maths, you should be good in music. There are exceptions,as with everything. And when I say maths, I don't mean trig and geometry and algebra. I mean logic. You need a logical, anilitical mindset to master maths. Just so with music. ( I know what you're thinking...mind, what's that? and where do I get one? )
As to the drums, I know that in Africa the drums were used as a means of comunication between various tribes. Could they have the same purpose in a battle?

4 (edited by Zurf 2007-07-26 20:29:27)

With drums, the percussion sound carries very well.  Different cadences were used to communicate different things.  In modern warfare, the generals sit in bunkers and watch television screens sent information from satellites.  It used to be that the generals sat on a hill on the battlefield and gave commands that were communicated to battlefield officers via different drum cadences.  Especially when gunpowder got to be used more and more, leaving the battlefield officers literally in the "fog of war".  There were different cadences for withdraw, advance, flank right, flank left, etc. and so forth.  They could be heard by the soldiers on the field of battle even above the screams, guns, explosions, and general confusion.  That's a western thing.  Don't know if it's also true for African drum use in battle.  Many thanks that I have never had to learn first-hand. 

I had thought that music resided in the brain somewhere between language and mathematics, somewhat linking the two in use and thereby advancing both language and mathematics functions.  It has been shown that students who study an instrument tend to perform better, but I am not aware of whether that is because students who would tend to do better anyway because of socio-economic or other characteristics tend to study music or vice-versa. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

The thing with learning a musical instrument is the concentration involved. The more you can concentrate, the better you can do basicaly anything. But it still stands to reason that the enviroment you are raised in and the circumstances around that enviroment must play a part in the childs performance.
My husband says that the whole thing about maths and music is that people who can pick up the "patterns" in maths are more able to find the "patterns" in music. That actually makes sense...clever bugger!
The whole drum thing is bloody amazing! Are you a historian, Zurf?

Here's an interesting thing about the drums used in central africa that my better half just told me...
He says that the drums used in central africa were quite literaly a long distance connection device. They made them out of massive hollow tree-trunks that were lying down on the ground. They would use large wooden clubs to beat the drums. When beaten the drums would emit a low frequency sound that is audiable many kilometers away. The dense forest and vast spaces did not allow for smoke signals or anything like that. Apparently a similar kind of drum was used in New Guinea.
Useless bit of info for you ...

Some South African's from our link school came over recently, they have great rythm, I made friends with one or two, they were so cool, and they just sing whenever they have an opportunity.

Got annoying after a while... only joking.
None of them played guitar though.

Listen to some South African stories and music (if you want, I can't tell you what to do, can I?), they're billiant.

Will

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

nadine2 wrote:

The whole drum thing is bloody amazing! Are you a historian, Zurf?

Hardly that!  Just a tidbit I picked up along the way. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

(0)==#paranormal guitar wrote:

Some South African's from our link school came over recently, they have great rythm, I made friends with one or two, they were so cool, and they just sing whenever they have an opportunity.

Got annoying after a while... only joking.
None of them played guitar though.

Listen to some South African stories and music (if you want, I can't tell you what to do, can I?), they're billiant.

Will

Gee, thanx Will,
Who knew you could be such a sweetie pie! Strangely enough in a recent poll it showed that the guitar is the most played instrument in SA, beating out even piano.

The math works because music is all about relationships between notes, not the notes themselves.   Tones are about intervals.  Rhythm is about counting.

But all of that is purely a framework in which you create.   Understanding the theory behind music is a terrific aid in composition, but it is just a tool.   If you don't have a creative instinct, all the tools in the world aren't going to be useful.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]