Topic: Bass Guitar Question: Short Scale VS Long Scale?

Now that the "shop is on" for an electric bass, I've been reading about the different scale lengths, tried a few out, etc. The standard long scale is 34", which is common to Fender, Ibanez, and most others. But I've recently tried both a Hagstrom and a Gretsch 30" scale, and found them an easier transition from a standard 6-string, due the the fret spacing not being so different.

So my question is, apart from the more similar fret spacing, what are the disadvantages of going to a shorter scale VS a longer scale bass? Most pure bass players (apart from Paul McCartney) prefer a long-scale, so there must be reasons why.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Bass Guitar Question: Short Scale VS Long Scale?

How about whichever one feels best to you and not what "Most Pure Bass Players Prefer".

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I tend to agree it has to feel good short or long I got lucky I found an old Silvertone bass that needed some work I put in new humbucking pickups and lowered the neck action Zurf sent me some light guage bass strings that really worked out well so don't rule out used gear in you quest smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

I tend to agree it has to feel good short or long I got lucky I found an old Silvertone bass that needed some work I put in new humbucking pickups and lowered the neck action Zurf sent me some light guage bass strings that really worked out well so don't rule out used gear in you quest smile

That`s true about used gear. For the price of new, you can get a better quality used Bass for your money. Sometimes cheaper or for a little bit more. All my higher end equipment was used. The deals are out there, you just have to find them. Take your time and do some research. A little research can save a lot in the long run. Especially if you are dealing with pawn shops or non players that think their equipment is worth a fortune.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Pawn shops will try to go for Ebay pricing also, not actual value.  THe web has changed the way they will deal, and they dont want to come down that much.  One shop here has a DEAN ML (dimebag edition) thats been on the shelf for 3+ yrs cause they want 350+ for it thinking they have a block of gold since it says DimeBag on it.  not. Its a bolt on kneck China made one.  So look out for things like JX3 said.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I have an older Ibenez bass , sounds great ,very easy to play ,long scale. I won't part with this baby ever. My friend needed a bass for recording so he bought the short scale Gretsch. It looks real nice but doesn't sound very good to me. He's had for awhile and has used it on two projects, about 24-25 songs. He told me he didn't think it sounded half as nice as my Ibenez. I think it's the short scale but I don't know for sure. It's the only short scale bass I've heard. In the end if it feels good to you and gives you the sound you want, buy it. You only have to please yourself.

Joe

Upon further research, it appears that there are two substantial limitations with a short-scale bass:

1) Much less sustain than a 34" scale.
2) Tendency for E-string to sound floppy, due to low tension.

I did notice the reduced sustain on the Hagstrom when I played it, and thought that the strings might just be a tad dead. But it was a new instrument in a reputable shop, so that's likely not the case. The notion of the shorter fret scale is apparently an easy one to overcome, and they say that getting quality strings for a short-scale is also a challenge. Based on these few factors, it would seem that a 34" scale is the way to go.

Much appreciate all the input!

The search for a bass guitar continues, and today had a funny twist to it. I saw an Ibanez BTB670 advertised on KIJIJI, and the pics and owner's comments led me to believe it was in excellent shape and well taken care of. He'd advertised it for $600, which included hard shell case, 30' gold-tipped cord, and a nice 3" leather strap. The whole rig would have easily exceeded $1,000 new.

So I met this guy today (about mid-30s) and he told me he'd changed his mind about selling it. He was obviously very passionate about music and his guitar, and despite "needing the money", just couldn't bear to part with it. It was a real treat to meet someone who really "got it" in terms of the relationship a player has with his instrument. There's no way I could have bought this from him, after seeing how much he loved it.

So the hunt continues, but this was a real highlight ... even though the outcome was personally disappointing.

Warm weather is coming soon. Flea Markets and Yard sales will be here soon. I picked up a Silvertone Bass for 50.00. Not a real Silvertone but the newer ones. Still for 50.00 I couldn`t go wrong. Don't rush into anything if it isn`t an emergency. Also on Craigslist, look in the Barter section. Sometimes you can find something there. And like I always say. Research Research Research. It may keep you from getting taken on a cheap instrument

Enjoy Every Sandwich

THUNDERSTICK!!! is still for sale if you're interested.   White and cream American built Musicman Stingray with hard case.  The case is well used (I gigged with this guitar for a while) but the guitar is in great shape.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Jerome ... I sent you an email about "Thunderstick".

IM A BASS PLAYER 3YR INTO IT. i GET VERY FRUSTRATED WHEN PLAY FAST SONG AT MY CHURCH WHAT CAN YOU HELP ME WITH?

Welcome, Ms Hightower. If I understand your question correctly you are having trouble keeping up with the fast songs. Your not going to like my answer but more practice is what you need. Ask your music director for a set list for your next church service. Get a recording for the songs you need help with and practice it over and over until you can play those songs effortlessly. Another option is to get a metrodome and practice  your scales. Set the metrodome slow at first then speed it up a little at a time. All of this will take time and effort on your part. Try this and keep us informed on your progress. Inquiring minds would like to know.

NELA

Great advice from NELA. Reminds me of a Midas Muffler commercial from years ago: "First you get good, then you get fast." Good bass playing is all about keeping good time (especially if you have no percussion) and knowing your scales. Have fun practicing them, and you'll be swinging in no time.

Welcome to Chordie!