Topic: Crossroads

Is there somebody, who know an easy way, at least a way, how to start the famous intro of this song played by CLAPTON?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: Crossroads

for me its not easy but I practice it all the time. all i can say is that I can play it better now than before but I need to keep practicing because it needs more work. there are some tabs on chordie that helped me at least to get the notes right

what a long strange trip it's been

Yes but I can't write tabs to show you. To do it on a chord sheet I dont have a scanner to scan the chord sheet.  P.M. me and I will give you my phone number and I will tell you over the phone on a week end.

Bootlegger.

You are a super gentleman. I love chordie, I ask questios, and I adore to put facts on the website.
I have to admit that there is a kind of friendship between a lot of members, there will always be people, who see this site as "something" else. Did you find the person who wrote about dating?
Sometimes you see very funny "not related with music" things.
I hope I am not disturbing too much with my facts and other stuff. Music is not only about PLAYING, or HAVING GUITARS or other things, but those who play that music are most important.
The man and not the instrument. I am happy here, and happy to meet "SOUL MATES", and I have plenty of time to look for facts, and questions. In the first weeks, like probably most of us did, a lot of questions are about what kind of guitar, or what is the best: Gibson or Fender.
I tried a lot since the forum, and I can only conclude, talkin about guitars, that some songs sound better with a gibson, others with fender... but I hope we all have respect, especially for newbies.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

The good news is that before I realised it, I was playing crossroads. It looks difficult, and it is not that easy, but when you play everyday 1/2 hour, you will learn more than playing hours.
Thanks

Clapton merely borrowed this one....

"You know where you are, Robert Johnson? You are standing in the middle of the crossroads. At midnight, that full moon is right over your head. You take one more step, you'll be in Rosedale. You take this road to the east, you'll get back over to Highway 61 in Cleveland, or you can turn around and go back down to Beulah or just go to the west and sit up on the levee and look at the River. But if you take one more step in the direction you're headed, you going to be in Rosedale at midnight under this full October moon, and you are going to have the Blues like never known to this world. My left hand will be forever wrapped around your soul, and your music will possess all who hear it. That's what's going to happen. That's what you better be prepared for. Your soul will belong to me. This is not just any crossroads. I put this "X" here for a reason, and I been waiting on you."

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

It is a common thing, borrowing other peoples songs. Or especially in BLUES, a lot of songs are almost identical.
Can we still speaking of borrowing, or is it STEALING.
Don't forget, if you see the chords that there are only 7 chords A  B  C  D  E  F  G, and of course the derivates like Am or A7, if you can play these chords, you are even able to create very good music. That is the main reason, why I have a tremendous respect for Bob Dylan, he wrote pearls of songs, just using 3 or 4 chords and using only A B C D E F G.
But crossroads, can be indeed a "clapton" version, it is more than enough to "borrow" a blues song, to play it a lot faster and just check the result.
Greetz

gitaardocphil wrote:

It is a common thing, borrowing other peoples songs. Or especially in BLUES, a lot of songs are almost identical.
Can we still speaking of borrowing, or is it STEALING.
Don't forget, if you see the chords that there are only 7 chords A  B  C  D  E  F  G, and of course the derivates like Am or A7, if you can play these chords, you are even able to create very good music. That is the main reason, why I have a tremendous respect for Bob Dylan, he wrote pearls of songs, just using 3 or 4 chords and using only A B C D E F G.
But crossroads, can be indeed a "clapton" version, it is more than enough to "borrow" a blues song, to play it a lot faster and just check the result.
Greetz

Well, we call it a "cover" over here in the states.  As in "Clapton covered Robert Johnson's 'Crossroads'"  Which isn't actually true, either.  When Johnson played it it was called "Traveling Riverside Blues."  So I guess that means Zeplin covered it.   big_smile   Are you familiar with the story behind that song, and Johnson's deal?   What I quoted makes much more sense if you do.

Anyway, I'm also a theory geek, so I need to offer up some theory here.

There are, in fact, several different chords.    There are five generally accepted triads, and a number of seventh chords.

The triads: major, minor,  augmented, and diminished.

The seventh:  major, minor, dominant,   diminshed, half diminished, and augmented.

There are more sevenths, but that will encompas most of what you're going to play.  Each of those qualities can be played from any root position.   So you have offered us one quality of chord.  The major chord.   And for the record, Dylan used more than just those.   Also for the record, the vast majority of modern guitar music is composed of three or four chords.   We call 'em "three chord ditties."

Regards!

-Jerome

Crossroad Blues and Traveling Riverside Blues are 2 different Robert Johnson songs.

what a long strange trip it's been

Jerome thanks for your answer, I am not a theoretical guy, I studied almost everything I could to become what I am, even sports, the fact is that I am, what I call a very lazy active person, strange expression, but that's about who I am. I am probably, like I was at the University, a guy who almost didn't need to study and succeeded every year. Even the fact that I want to play 10 times better, I want it all, and today if possible, wishful thinking is the correct name. I can't help it, even sitting here the whole 24 hours a day at home, I am always busy. BUT I started , miracle, oh miracle, to practise the pentatonic scale. I have books AND videos to learn the blues, but I know it is me, I start, to give up 10 minutes later. I learn more on CHORDIE, in 1 week than I did with my nose in books. I just wanted to know if, lazy as I am, there are sites, where these things are explained very good? I even started to try tabs, and it works, the pentatonic, I played it like nothing, because I played it that way, without knowing that it was pentatonic.
You writings and the way you explain things are really fantastic, your theory too. My theory was that in a song we have 7 basic chords A B C D E F G, 7 minor Am Bm Cm Dm Em Fm Gm, and 7 7th chords A7 B7 C7 D7 E7 F7 G7 = 21 different sounds. I use a lot more, but about the diminished chords, using the same chords, you only get a few different chords.
It's really time to change myself, but I am afraid I am lost, I had never the intention to become a guitar god, but it keeps me dreaming. TWO things I still like to learn before I'm 85 years old: fingerpicking and maybe playing guitar solos.
Thanks a lot

go to youtube and type it in and look for the version under justinsandercoesongs

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

gitaardocphil wrote:

Jerome thanks for your answer, I am not a theoretical guy, I studied almost everything I could to become what I am, even sports, the fact is that I am, what I call a very lazy active person, strange expression, but that's about who I am. I am probably, like I was at the University, a guy who almost didn't need to study and succeeded every year. Even the fact that I want to play 10 times better, I want it all, and today if possible, wishful thinking is the correct name. I can't help it, even sitting here the whole 24 hours a day at home, I am always busy. BUT I started , miracle, oh miracle, to practise the pentatonic scale. I have books AND videos to learn the blues, but I know it is me, I start, to give up 10 minutes later. I learn more on CHORDIE, in 1 week than I did with my nose in books. I just wanted to know if, lazy as I am, there are sites, where these things are explained very good? I even started to try tabs, and it works, the pentatonic, I played it like nothing, because I played it that way, without knowing that it was pentatonic.
You writings and the way you explain things are really fantastic, your theory too. My theory was that in a song we have 7 basic chords A B C D E F G, 7 minor Am Bm Cm Dm Em Fm Gm, and 7 7th chords A7 B7 C7 D7 E7 F7 G7 = 21 different sounds. I use a lot more, but about the diminished chords, using the same chords, you only get a few different chords.
It's really time to change myself, but I am afraid I am lost, I had never the intention to become a guitar god, but it keeps me dreaming. TWO things I still like to learn before I'm 85 years old: fingerpicking and maybe playing guitar solos.
Thanks a lot

That's OK.  I'm a goober about theory, so I'll go on and on and on and on and on until your eyes glaze over.

If you want to play solos, theory is where you want to start.  It will help you understand scales, and that's what you need to solo.

Everyone has their own learning style.  Don't worry about yours.  It's fine!