Topic: Went a'phishing

Yesterday afternoon my son and I went crappie phishing and done pretty well. We caught about 25 or so and brought home 7 that run between 1 1/4 and 2 1/2 pounds for supper tonight. They are just before stacking up in the "tree tops" on the river and when they do it will be fast and furious phishing. Wish I could plan a fish fry for all ya'll. 

NELA

Re: Went a'phishing

I will be heading that way sometime in the near future. Rick Felkel is in the process of building me a mandolin. When it's done I plan to pick it up. Afraid to have it shipped.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Congrats NELA!  Good to hear that someone has been catching some fish.  I don't think I've ever seen a 2 1/2  pound crappie, let alone catch one !!  Due to cold weather and snow its been over 3 weeks since I last wet a line.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

1 pound is a citation fish in Virginia. You must have some darned big fish out your way.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

We got some good'uns here. Not unusal to get one 3 pounds or a little over. Went back this morning and caught an even dozen that weighed from 3/4 pounds to 2 pounds. Per our scale our biggest weighed 2.14 pounds, today, and we had 3 more that was real close to that size. Hard to fish with the wind blowing like it was today and the temp @ 37 degrees. We were phishing 1/16 oz rubber jigs in submerged treetops in 20 t0 28' water. All the phish we caught were suspended 12 to 14' deep. If I can I'll try to post some photo's. I'm open to carry any of ya'll phishing if'n you can get here.

Nela

6 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-12-08 11:06:40)

I'm so jealous, NELA.

Here in Nova Scotia, it's -11 C this morning (12 degrees Fahrenheit) and everything's freezing over. Apart from ice fishing (which I don't do), our sport fishery here is done until April. Looks like you've been getting some great catches. We don't have crappie here in eastern Canada, but I was reading on line that it's your Louisiana state fish, and that the current records are in the 5 lb range!

Continued success to you!

It is a lot of fun when they stack up like that. Good for you for having so many slab crappie nearby!

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Nice to know that there are other people who like to chase those little black critters

Well ya'll all know my health issues but I've decided that I can sit in the house and feel bad or I can sit in a boat and feel bad. I just feel better while phishing. TF, we don't get the cold that comes and stays like ya'll do but, in the past, I have phished on some brutally cold days and caught fish. Even went ice fishing one time and didn't like it - by the time we got a hole broke in the ice big enough to launch the boat we were just too tired to phish. Creel limits here are 50 phish (crappie) per day per person. When the bite is on 50 phish a day is very easy to come by and are some of the best eating you can have. We generally only keep enough to eat ourselves, maybe give a few to some neighbors who can't get out and release the rest. I plan on trying to make 3 or 2 days phishing this week, who wants to go wid me?

NELA

I want to go with you, but my fishing pole isn't 1000 miles long.

NELA, here's a pic from fishing this past April 1st. I caught a couple shivering trout, but it was slow. Water was -6 C (25 F) so only moving water was open.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-U7UOMylzsDE/VIbaojhk9cI/AAAAAAAAADE/iNxzp1zeoMc/s800/P4020338.JPG

Couldn't use the fly rod (my preference) as the guides kept freezing up full of ice. I should come visit you!

Year's ago, in what seems like a different lifetime now, I phished a lotta bass tournament. Had a few sponsers, even had a couple or 3 prostaff boats given to me to use. Won a good bit of money phishing but spent way more that I won. Trying to work, raise a family, phish tournaments and be competive just doesn't work so I gave up phishing the circuits and joined a couple of bass clubs at home. Done good, working outta town all the time interfered with that, then the health problems, forced medical retirement and sitting on my ass at home feeling sorry for myself. The only things I've done in the past 3 / 4 years is play my music, piddle in the garden and watch tv. So now I've made up my mind that I'm gonna start phishing, again. I can't hunt amymore as one of my meds makes me cough a lot and if I walk a lot I cough more. I can cough and phish. I'm restricted to lifting no more that 20 pounds due to hernia's (2) on my stomach directly under the scar from my cancer surgury so I will have to be careful. I am able to sit (stand) in a boat so that's what I'm gonna do. Even went back phishing yesterday afternoon. Phish was running a little smaller but did manage to catch 5 crappie from 3/4 to 1 1/4 pounds. Had a "bluebird day" and the phish was holding tight to the structure making it difficult to get to them in the back of the submerged  treetops. Gonna hold up a day or so, rest a little then hit em again. Also, I'm playing music with friends Friday night so I guess I gotta practice a little..

Nela

I am getting cold just seeing you in the picture!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Wasn't so bad, Dino. Lots of polar fleece layers under the chest waders, and it was fairly comfy for about 30 minutes; enough time to land a couple of brook trout. When I released them, I imagined them wailing "Please don't put us back! Kill us and eat us ... please!" We had some laughs, which is really what a good fishing trip is all about.