Topic: Your Weather

Most of the forums I visit have a thread for folks to share their local weather conditions. Chordie doesn't, so I thought I would start one and see how it goes over.

Today here in Central Pa. we have around 5" of snow on the ground and a brisk 20mph wind making the 20F temp feel mighty raw.

Time to throw another log on the fire. smile

2 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-01-30 15:16:10)

Re: Your Weather

Here it's sunny. High 48F/33 with windchill. Winds NNW at 10 to 20 mph, but we have rain predicted for tomorrow. Also we're not out of the woods yet, as far as snow is concerned. Stay warm and dry, joe.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

3 (edited by NELA 2015-01-30 15:48:26)

last couple of day's we have had sunny days with temps in the low 70's. Gonna get a little cooler with some rain over the weekend but nothing bad. I'm going to get out this afternoon and b b q us some pork ribs while the wife is wupping up some tater salad, baked beans and a raisin pie. Later tonite we are going to sit around pick our teeth and play "pull my finger".  Wish ya'll were here.

Nela

Here in the Algarve it is around 15 deg C (59 F). Been somewhat cloudy today but sunshine for the next few days is forecast.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

We had 4 or 5 inches of snow last night into this morning. Tonight low around -10 F tomorrow, high temp about 7 above zero with wind chill about 25 below zero. Motorcycle races on the lake tomorrow so maybe I'll bundle up and go down to watch. Making a big pot of chili for the game on Sunday.

here in wales we have those bumpy things called hills and valleys. the valleys are having some rain and sunny periods while the hills are catching a bit of snow. nothing like what the north of england and scotland are getting or north east of the us.

i love to see snow....on tv tongue

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

We've had a pretty mild winter in our area so far.  Just a small amount of snow but but lots of ice and freezing rain. There was a 10-car accident west of town yesterday due to ice.  Only an inch or two of snow in my yard, 27 degrees today, 16 degrees expected tonight and temps just above freezing predicted tomorrow.  Forecasters are saying we'll get 6" or snow over the weekend, nothing major but just enough to be annoying. smile

I was worried that weather might interfere with our annual Foothill Folk Society concert/fund raiser this evening, but looks like ol' Mother Nature is gonna co-operate nicely.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Looks like a nice weekend in Tampa Bay

http://static.baynews9.com/images/wx/bn9/lg_7day.jpg

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Here at Lake Macquarie in Australia it is a sunny day in the 80's...

10 (edited by badeye 2015-01-30 23:03:02)

Nova Scotia, Canada has a good amount of snow,   minus 14 C, snow storm on the way, Just another winter here,   Stay warm, play blues....

badeye    cool

one caper after another

Topdowns got us all beat,it will be mid 60's to 40 here in calif. where I live. not too bad.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

So far it has been a mild winter in Wisconsin where I live we did have several days of sub zero that were uncomfortable but snowfall so far is far below average only about 3 or 4 inches has fallen the entire winter (so far) but living in Wisconsin we know that can change in a heartbeat

"Growing old is not for sissies"

13 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-01-31 02:25:07)

Also reporting from Nova Scotia, Canada.

Our winters can be quite unpredictable and very changeable, with 24-hour temperature swings sometimes spanning 30 degrees. A south-easterly flow of off the Grand Banks will give us mild and windy weather. Then a sudden southward shift in the jet stream will send north-westerlies and bitter cold air in overnight. Last winter, we had steady snowfall from late-November until mid-April, but we never really saw any appreciable snowfall this year until this past week, with another blast coming tonight.

This has been our yoyo weather pattern for my whole life living here, and it makes things interesting, to say the least.

It's ZERO this morning in upstate NY.  Brrrrrr

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

It's been a mild winter so far on the mountain - this morning its 17 deg.(F). Got the wood stove burning to keep the electric bill down.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

bluejeep wrote:

It's been a mild winter so far on the mountain - this morning its 17 deg.(F). Got the wood stove burning to keep the electric bill down.

10F when I got up this morning. Still have that miserable wind to make it feel sub-zero.

We have a fireplace insert for our main heat heat source. When the temps drop into the teens we fire up the little box stove at the other end of the house. Together, they keep the house in the 75F to 78F area. Sometimes AuntJoe will get carried away and get the fireplace room up into the mid 80's range. yikes

unclejoe, I lived in Pennsylvania most of my life so I know how cold and hard winter can be in your area. The only thing I miss is fishing in the beautiful Susquehanna river.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

18 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-01-31 21:07:12)

Growing up in Villa Rica, GA, I was tasked with helping my bro with homework, feeding him and getting him ready for bed and stuff.

We lived in an ante-bellum house which had absolutely NO insulation, which meant that in Winter, one was apt to see ice forming on the walls. We had an old pot-bellied stove we fed wood to heat up the dining room and kitchen. The rest of the house had gas heaters in every room.

I used to get a kick out of scaring my little brother half to death by putting so much wood into the stove it would turn the outside of it red-hot. He'd start bawling and threaten to tell Mom and Dad. I just said "Yeah, yeah, yeah".  Kids didn't say "whatever" back then. smile

Anyway, it must have done some good because next Spring our Dad put in a gas heater there as well. smile

Our weather here is the same as it was yesterday, but we're expecting rain tonight and tomorrow with a nightime low of 28. The weather guy won't commit to snow.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

bluejeep wrote:

unclejoe, I lived in Pennsylvania most of my life so I know how cold and hard winter can be in your area. The only thing I miss is fishing in the beautiful Susquehanna river.

Some of the tributaries up north are even better than the river. Three that come to mind are the Loyalsock, Lycoming and Pine Creeks. Spent many a lazy evening at all three back in the day.

Our snowstorm has been downgraded. Yesterday we had 4"-8" of snow in the forecast for Sunday night into Monday morning. It's now a light coating of snow, changing to sleet, freezing rain and then just plain rain. Looks like I won't be putting the plow on the truck tomorrow.

I hate to rub it in (no, I guess I really kinda like it), but here is tonight's sunset

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/q82/s2048x2048/10847501_10205921291501583_574019381955293071_o.jpg

Two things. 

1. It's frickin' cold. 
2. I hate topdown. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

Two things. 

1. It's frickin' cold. 
2. I hate topdown. 

- Zurf

I had thoughts like that in my head with the big banner post showing all those 70's, but thought it best to be cordial to the host. smile

Yeah, topdown!

NO FAIR!!!! smile

Bill smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

I really don't mean to rub it in. All of my chordie friends are welcome to visit anytime! You can get all the sunshine you want, we will share adult beverages and I will feed you well!

unclejoesband wrote:

Our snowstorm has been downgraded. Yesterday we had 4"-8" of snow in the forecast for Sunday night into Monday morning. It's now a light coating of snow, changing to sleet, freezing rain and then just plain rain. Looks like I won't be putting the plow on the truck tomorrow.

Looks like we are going to get that storm instead.  Apparently it decided to travel north.  Tonight into Monday night we are on the lookout for 7-14" of snow at a rate of "an inch or so" per hour at times.

Bill, my house is over 100 years old... Originally built with nothing more than a coal fireplace in the center of the house for heating.  House been upgraded a little over the years, but done poorly (we are still slowly working on things... But darn the problems w/old houses are so plentiful).  Still has original windows (huge, beautiful, terribly insulated). We keep 2-3 electric space heaters going and the furnace blowing heat around the whole house.  We have a wood stove too, but need a new chimney for it (the ginormous old chimney doesn't have enough draw without a liner for the wood... Don't know how they ever managed to keep coal going in the fireplace way back when and got any heat out of it).  I would much rather deal with this house's heating issues in Georgia weather! I swear it wasn't built for the North.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.