1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-01-31 20:48:52)

Topic: Talk To Me Of Pedals, My Gurus And Gurettes

I have two.

One is called a "Boss" Fuzz Tone, and one is a chorus pedal I had originally bought for my then accoustic/electric (now just accoustic) Tak Jasmine, so I know what those two do.

But what are a few for an old dweeb like me to have fun with? You don't have to go into detail and/or you can just point me to a site and/or book called "An Idiot's Guide To Effects Pedals". Just a primer and/or suggestions would be fine. Whatever's the least amount of trouble and/or effort on your part.

Thanks

ROCK AND/OR ROLL!! wink

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Talk To Me Of Pedals, My Gurus And Gurettes

Get a multi effect pedal and have you some fun.  I'm not much for effects in general but something with a flange, phase, delay and maybe auto wah would be fun to noodle with.

3 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-02-01 02:00:34)

I completely agree with BGD about getting a multi-effects pedal board. I bought a Boss ME-80 a year or more ago, and enjoy using it every day. The BOSS products are (IMHO) the easiest ones to learn to use, very durable, and don't require a lot of scrolling through digital screens and what not. Here's what mine looks like:

http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/images/products/gallery/me-80_top_gal.jpg

Here's a link to BOSS's website with all the details on this one:

http://www.bossus.com/products/me-80/

For a more general idea on what all the various effects do, this article is quite straight forward:

http://www.justinbrownguitar.com/GuitarPedalGuide.html

Buying several individual pedals can get into big $$$ quickly. For most of us, a decent multi-pedal covers the bases and is quite economical. The ME-80 sells for about $300, which would only get you 3 or 4 individual pedals. I hope this is helpful!

4 (edited by beamer 2015-02-01 09:19:06)

Boss are great, so are the VOX and if your budget is tighter,, you have Digitech, really tight? Berhinger. the Berhinger stuff is German design knock offs made in Japan,, but they are great stuff, both my amps are made by them (one is a Bugera -the tube line)
so here are the links

I have a older Digitech RP250 and love it because I can plug it into a lpa top and its endless what you can do from there,, yes a slight learning curve, but hop that and your having a great time.

Yes you can spend a lot on pedals(stomp's) but im a pedal freak and love the way they aall look LOLOL dont have a lot but still love them.  if you got time to kill sitting in a store and playing around with them is the best thing.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--VOXSTOMPLA … ApMP8P8HAQ
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control … ;A=details

http://digitech.com/en-US 

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/effects/behringer

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/effects  pull up a chair and a drink and start looking LOLOL  Guitar center has an effects tree and you can go and test all the stuff and look at the used consider as they have tons of trade in stuff.  Ill take a pic of my stuff and the retracting pedal bd I made. you may want to think about that set up if you not lugging g your stuff around.

Cheers!~

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Couldn't find the effects "tree" Beamer. Your link took me to  some pedals, but I didn't see them all grouped where one could click and hear what they sound like. Could you help me out with this, please? Also, looking forward to your picture. smile

Thanks!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

OH that is because the effects tree is actually IN STORE, just go there and play away. and most the techs know a thing or two about most of them.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Missed the Guitar Center sentence. Sorry! sad

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

hey strummerboy  bill I am a huge fan of tc electronics pedals....try their website...whichever pedal you click on you get to listen to their inhouse player run the various pedals through their paces...great way to assess different kinds of pedals from your own sofa!!!!...or of course you could just go to your local muso shop and spend a morning running their pedals  and see what you like....either way..enjoy!

"...never marry the first girl you fall in love with and never sell your first guitar..."

9 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-03-21 01:31:52)

Thanks, jd05! Very interesting site and I especially liked the demonstration of the chorus pedal.

I have a question though: In one of the vids, did I see one of the guys using his smart phone to lay down the thumb app? Is that the way these pedals operate? If they do, I'm sunk, because I haven't the slightest idea of how I'd make those two things interface! smile I'd like to just stay with the kind you step on. smile

Thanks again and happy strumming/picking!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Pedals are kind of like sweet rolls it depends on your taste and sometimes it helps to listen to a few bands you like and see what the lead guitarist is using or go to a music store and try out a few, I buy effects based on sound and ease of use I have used the same setup for the last 10 or more years a Boss ME-50, Boss 20XL loop station, Hendrix wah and recently added the Electo Harmonix C9 Next month I am adding digitec trio to the lineup they are not in stock anywhere yet so I pre ordered it from Sweetwater but thats me you have to define your own sound so keep checking out pedals till you find a few that sound cool to you smile ps. they are very addictive. lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

hey Strummerboy Bill no you don't need a smartphone for the tc pedals.  you just step on them mate no problem.  with the reverb pedal there is the option to download your fav players personal reverb settings to your tc pedal using a smartphone app but that is purely optional.  the pedal already has many different reverb settings as it is.  as I said mate I have used up a lot of (very enjoyable) time playing these pedals in music shops and comparing them to other pedals and for me they are the way to go.  the beauty, of course, of music is the variety of tastes involved.  this is purely my taste and opinion and yours may vary considerably. 

best shot take your fav guitar and amp to a shop that stocks a range of pedals.  set yourself up in their amp/play room and enjoy.  be interested to hear what you finally decide on!

"...never marry the first girl you fall in love with and never sell your first guitar..."

Hi Bill ...

Was just looking through some older threads, and wondering how your search for Effects Pedals is going? Would love to hear about any new "toys" you've acquired, and what you're doing with them.

Cheers, buddy!

As I've  progressed  my pedal board  has  got smaller ,In the  uk  if Im using  a shared back line  I  select  a  clean channel and  use  an old boss  be5  4 effect  pedal distortion /compression /chorus /delay. If I  use  my  own am I  use  a  line  6 spider   with  the  4  channels  programmed  to  clean /twang/ overdrive  and  overdrive  with  delay   ,same  applies  to  my  greek  set up  except  I  use  4 separate  joyo  pedals  instead of  the  boss  with  a  shared back line  .For  my  solo  set  I  add  a  boss  rc2 looper  and  a  zoom   multi  pedal for  the  drum loops  both  modified  with  external  switches  for  ease of  control. Occasionally I  use  a wah wah too  but  recently   not .

over the years i've had lots of pedals beginning with a wem copikat, a cry baby wah wah, chorus, reverb/echo, fuzz, all individual pedals by the way. i then graduated to multi FX and never looked back. it all began with a korg acoustic pedal, cos i didn't like or want distortion as i was using an acoustic on stage. when i began using backing tracks i used my strat so i needed distortion i could control so i got a korg with distortion which eventually broke so i now use the boss ME50, but i secretly desire an ME80...don't tell the wife.

the pedal you buy will obviously depend on the sound you want and the ease of use to suit yourself. as have a good look around before you jump in only to regret it tomorrow.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

15 (edited by rockclimber 2015-06-14 15:15:09)

If nowadays one wants simulated original sounds I guess the Kemper profiling amp might be the most advanced solution, but buyers let's still wait a little until the used ones get cheaper.

If you want your individual signature sounds then I think a bunch of several pedals would be better than a single multieffect. By the way you'll achieve the most individual sounds by using several amplifiers parallel, because you'll be able to exploit their different behaviors at different pitches, what some say could make even each pitch individual by sound. Maybe the legendary Santana sound has something to do with this.

Now usability is another thing. Always think of all three stituations: being at home, being in the practice garage or in the studio or being on stage. With lots of pedals in front of you the benefit is that you can somehow connect to them physically and you actually see the effect chain. The disadvantages may be sound loss and technical issues of which there are a lot. (In my pedal days I used to try to limit the sound loss by using active effect-chain-loop-switchers ) Next is the amount of hazzle to handle with, e.g. buying and changing batteries vs. managing a power supply system and not to forget the setting it all up.

Let's get philosophical for a second. Imagine two player personalities which I believe both lie within each of us, and who both want to set creativity free. The first one doesn't want to think of tech stuff and sound an be free to play the music and react to the other musicians. She wants her sound to be already done just manage the interaction of the vibrations. The other one hers some fancy new sound coming out of the instrument and gets inspired by this to play things he has never even thought of before. The second one would be more happy with lots of boxes and wires. The first one may be a kind of purist who wants his legendary setting, which is some little boxes, or he might be the handy guy who doesn't want to spend time in wiring anything up. Even in the latter case he might have the enlightenment to just use a good amp. Still in none of these cases the multieffect pedal would be best choice. Then please show me that player who actually performs on stage and likes to fiddle with the computer system of the multieffect as well!

Now that I have put forth all these reasons against multieffect pedals I must concede that since I am using one of the newer ones with a tube running in it, I don't think anymore of others, to be honest.