1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-01-31 20:38:41)

Topic: A Guitar's "Action"?

Is there such a thing as an action which can't be adjusted? I am enclosing a link to my Galveston accoustic/electric bass. I have never had the action adjusted and its strings are hard to push down. As you can see, it doesn't have a thumbwheel, just its little white bridge. The bass only cost me $200.00 (made in Korea).

Can someone explain adjusting "action" to me and can it be done on this guitar?

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff71 … 60f0c8.jpg

Many thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: A Guitar's "Action"?

sometimes action isn't the issue. it's a bow or a bridge. can you send side shots of where the strings meet the nut and the bridge as well as a lengthwise side shot of the neck, like this ?

http://www.guitarworld.com/eds-shed-how … e-adjusted

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff71 … de605c.jpg

Sorry it took a while, BDG, and I hope this is what you want, because I really don't want to go back to Photobucket today. I don't know if it's the user population, but the site is a spam whore, and locked up with me to the point where I yelled "GD" (the whole word), which got me me a slap upside the head. smile

Is there a better place for photos?

Anyway, hope you can see a good shot of the neck and head and THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your assistance!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Action can be adjusted on any guitar. Three areas come in to play when talking about action. The nut, the bridge, and the neck. The relief (bow) of the neck, the height of the bridge, and the grooves in the nut all get adjusted together to lower the action. Basically called a setup. It's something worth learning how to do if it's up your alley. If not, then take it to someone who knows how.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

5 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-01-31 23:51:02)

Thanks, zguitar (can I call you "Z"? It just sounds cool to me smile ). I think I'd better let someone who knows what he's doing handle it. When it comes to doing anything which involve the hands and fingers, I fly off the handle very easily. So to preserve what little sanity I have left, I'll take it to a fellow musician who runs a shop. smile

Thank you as well, BDG. I am very fortunate indeed to have joined a board that has so many caring folks on it. It's also why I like to answer asap. First of all, you were kind enough to take up your time, and second, if I let it go too long I will forget to answer and even what (and that) I asked. smile

So, Ahm-a thankin' Y'all!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Is there a better place for photos?

I use snapfish.

Here's a link.

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/fe/l= … A%22s%22}}

That neck has an enormous bow starting at what looks like fret 5. Take it in to a tech.

Okay, BGD, I'll be sure to do that and now I know why there's very little difference going from flat to sharp on the G. I should have suspected that when I just barely had to turn the peg to get it in tune. Action adjustment won't fix that bad boy, will it, BGD? smile Any idea what it might cost me?

I know I say it a lot, but I'm totally grateful for your help, my friend. You and everyone here have been terrific in the help department.  We don't live near each other, but if I did live near you, you'd never have to buy another drink for the rest of your life, BGD! smile

That goes for everyone else as well.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

My guy would charge 40 bucks but it would include a new set of strings and full setup.

Great. Thanks, BGD! smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass