Re: Your Weather

unclejoesband wrote:
bluejeep wrote:

unclejoe, I lived in Pennsylvania most of my life so I know how cold and hard winter can be in your area. The only thing I miss is fishing in the beautiful Susquehanna river.

Some of the tributaries up north are even better than the river. Three that come to mind are the Loyalsock, Lycoming and Pine Creeks. Spent many a lazy evening at all three back in the day.

Our snowstorm has been downgraded. Yesterday we had 4"-8" of snow in the forecast for Sunday night into Monday morning. It's now a light coating of snow, changing to sleet, freezing rain and then just plain rain. Looks like I won't be putting the plow on the truck tomorrow.

I fished all those creeks, plus Fishing Creek, Beech Creek, Bald Eagle Creek, Penns Creek and Little Pine. There are a few creeks near where you live now that I'd like to fish. They haven't got the famous names or nearly as well documented as the ones above so I won't mention them by name, but you probably know some I'm thinking of.  How about when the weather report is more pleasing we get together - wading or in my canoe - and do some picking afterwards?

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

I fished all those creeks, plus Fishing Creek, Beech Creek, Bald Eagle Creek, Penns Creek and Little Pine. There are a few creeks near where you live now that I'd like to fish. They haven't got the famous names or nearly as well documented as the ones above so I won't mention them by name, but you probably know some I'm thinking of.

Boy you really do know the area! My sister lived along Penns Creek for nearly 20 years. I spent quite a bit of my youth on Little Pine as well. There was a Boy Scout camp along Little Pine until 1972 when Hurricane Agnus completely washed it away. It was never rebuilt. sad

Zurf wrote:

How about when the weather report is more pleasing we get together - wading or in my canoe - and do some picking afterwards?

I have a canoe also. Right now it resides alongside our little pond but it used to spend a lot of time on the 3 creeks I first mentioned. Early March in the Pine Creek Gorge, aka the Pa. Grand Canyon, was an annual event.

We touched on getting together last summer but it never happened. I'll take most of the blame for that. I wasn't really feeling like a part of the chordie community yet and was still in the process of relearning my way around the fretboard. I feel better about both now so yes, I'd like that. We'll touch on it again when the temps start climbing back into the 60's.

unclejoesband wrote:
Zurf wrote:

I fished all those creeks, plus Fishing Creek, Beech Creek, Bald Eagle Creek, Penns Creek and Little Pine. There are a few creeks near where you live now that I'd like to fish. They haven't got the famous names or nearly as well documented as the ones above so I won't mention them by name, but you probably know some I'm thinking of.

Boy you really do know the area! My sister lived along Penns Creek for nearly 20 years. I spent quite a bit of my youth on Little Pine as well. There was a Boy Scout camp along Little Pine until 1972 when Hurricane Agnus completely washed it away. It was never rebuilt. sad

Zurf wrote:

How about when the weather report is more pleasing we get together - wading or in my canoe - and do some picking afterwards?

I have a canoe also. Right now it resides alongside our little pond but it used to spend a lot of time on the 3 creeks I first mentioned. Early March in the Pine Creek Gorge, aka the Pa. Grand Canyon, was an annual event.

We touched on getting together last summer but it never happened. I'll take most of the blame for that. I wasn't really feeling like a part of the chordie community yet and was still in the process of relearning my way around the fretboard. I feel better about both now so yes, I'd like that. We'll touch on it again when the temps start climbing back into the 60's.

Although I enjoy Chordiestock in Florida, I really miss the creek bank fire-side pickin' like we did in our first get-together on the 'Doah. Count me in if another floating/fishing/camping/picking weekend is planned.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I actually might be able to do something about that. I have a place along Shermans Creek in a community hunting camp sort of setting. It's a small creek and there aren't a lot of fish in it. It's in a mountain setting and whenever I'm there I rarely fish but always have a campfire. I'll give it some more thought. Maybe sometime in August.

That sounds good UJB. I have been thinking of another Shenandoah or New River deal as well. I'm also hoping to host Topdown up here some time over the summer and we'd likely set up a camp on the Potomac. If that works out, I'll let you know DE. I use the campground where Ogbuddha used to have the Gatherodeos, which is now owned and operated by one of the local river outfitters.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I like how you lot in the USA just seem to take all that snow in your stride. Here in the UK a couple of inches and the whole country stops. We seem to be very good at for forcasting the weather, but very poor at preparing for it. At the moment it's. 8.85 pm in Nottingham, snowing slightly but a strong wind making things feel very cold. So I'm off to the pub.

Thick as two short planks

Two years ago this month we had two snowstorms in one week. The first one on Tuesday gave us 22" (59cm). The next one came on Saturday giving us another 28" (71cm). You just learn to roll with it when you live in snow prone areas.

Going down to 9F tonight. A nice stiff 20mph wind tops it off nicely. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr

We received 14" of snow over the weekend, another 22" last night, and are due for a further 12" - 15" on Thursday. Running out of yard to pile it in.

Keepitreal, i agree with you. First sign of snow in the South east and everyone goes into a panic. It's been cold but we have escaped the snow settling so far this winter. I do hope i haven't spoken too soon, expecting a big delivery tomorrow so don't want snow to be a reason not to get it. ha ha.

No snow, slightly overcast, and just cold. Guess I should be grateful, but I really would like to be snowed in! smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Huge snow storm hit the Maritimes last nite,   got about four feet around my truck. happy to have a snowblower, ..  We got 30 plus centemeters, minus 12 degree c,    got stuck in a drift coming home last nite,   walked two miles to a friends house,  he's got a huge tractor and he got me out,  lots of wind and blowing snow.   Just another Canadian winter,,  we be use to it...

badeye   cool

one caper after another

Plenty of sunshine this morning. A bit brisk though with a temp of 4F and a 10mph breeze.

Snow for sale...   we have the motherload,  going cheap..   more on the way,  special deal for all chordians..

stay warm..   badeye   cool

one caper after another

badeye wrote:

Snow for sale...   we have the motherload,  going cheap..   more on the way,  special deal for all chordians..

stay warm..   badeye   cool

Five stars, Badeye!

A local ski resort owner (Martock) once told me that successive storms actually overload them with snow. I guess it's crazy trying to keep up with the grooming when it keeps coming in waves like it has. You in the Valley this week?

yeap in the valley,   well on the north mountain..   sure is winter up here..  great for kitchen jams..

badeye   cool

one caper after another

Sunny skies, 50's. No mention of snow. Here in West Georgia, USA, we've managed to duck the 8" snowfalls for the last 4 years.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

badeye wrote:

great for kitchen jams..

badeye   cool

Is that where you keep the wood stove? smile

We need all the snow and rain out here,we are having a drought,we are getting some rain right now but will need alot more.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Beautiful day here in the Old Dominion. I went to the woods at our archery range and had what is a very good score for me. Then I went and had a delicious glass of wine at a winery in the hills while watching the sun set. It was a wonderful day.

Zurf wrote:

Beautiful day here in the Old Dominion. I went to the woods at our archery range and had what is a very good score for me. Then I went and had a delicious glass of wine at a winery in the hills while watching the sun set. It was a wonderful day.

I had a great day too Zurf.  My fishing buddy Doug called last night as the temps were predicted to be in the high 40's today.  We did a short (3 1/2 mile) float on a local stream.  Air temp actually made it to 51 degrees, water temp was 34 and the smallies were lock-jawed, but it was still a great day with lots of geese, a few blue herons, and an eagle accompanying us on our float.  The "additive" in the thermos of coffee I brought helped too wink

Ended the day by taking Jen to a local restaurant/bar for a meal and listen to one of our local singer/songwriters perform then went to listen to some live bluegrass for another couple hours at another pub.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Hmmm... there's a lot of fishing going on in the lake a mile from my home.  They don't take boats this time of year though... snow mobiles, 4 wheelers, and augers are required.  wink  If I took a walk in the woods, I'd need to bring a shovel with me.  The snow's up to my waist!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Are you in as bad a shape as Boston and the surrounding area?

It's 9:30 AM here in the Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia, and we're well into a blizzard that's forecast to dump 50+ centimeters (24") of snow on us today. The snow along both sides of my driveway is already at least 6' high, and I'm going to need stilts for my snowblower to get this new mess cleared out. Good day for hot chocolate, watching some soccer on TV, tying some flies, and of course ... some guitar time.

Tenement Funster wrote:

It's 9:30 AM here in the Annapolis Valley of Nova Scotia, and we're well into a blizzard that's forecast to dump 50+ centimeters (24") of snow on us today. The snow along both sides of my driveway is already at least 6' high, and I'm going to need stilts for my snowblower to get this new mess cleared out. Good day for hot chocolate, watching some soccer on TV, tying some flies, and of course ... some guitar time.

It's a whiteout here on the |North mountain. 50+ ,   snow drifts 10 feet high, probably will not see a snowplow for a while, got water, food, beer,   all good, practicing barre chords today, improving greatly...

badeye   cool

one caper after another

We're expecting up to 1.5 inches tonight. Some leftover stuff from Boston, I guess.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass