Topic: Too busy - any other newbies having the problem of overwork?

I don't do covers EXACTLY like covers (meaning, really pretty much nothing like the covers - example: I was thinking last night that Take Me Home Country Roads could work pretty well as a reggae song).  Anyway, when I get to having fun and jamming with myself, my patterns get WAAAAAYYYY too busy.

Anybody work through this?  How?  Advice appreciated.   Is it just a phase?  Or is it because I've always been a rhythm guy with the bass? 

Thanks.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Too busy - any other newbies having the problem of overwork?

This is a great method for learning and advancing. How about travis picking Beth by Kiss or a blues version of Time after Time? I've been playing for over 25 years and have always done this. I say go for it and enjoy the freedom. Just remember that you can always go back to something close to the original. There are no boundrys in music, have fun!

Michel

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

Run with it!  There is no law at all that says you have to cover a song exactly the way the original artist did.  Johnny Cash songs were made to be punked out.  "Country Roads" as a reggae song sounds like something I'd want to hear.

I always play covers with the view that I'm playing it to make it mine.  If I wanted to hear it like the original did it, I'd just go buy the record.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Pretty much all music is remotely, in some phase, intertwined. So "too busy" in your arrangements I don't see as a problem. It's your canvas so paint as much of it with as many colors that feel right to you.
I share jerome.oneil's view of not imitating songs but instead "interpretating" songs. A variation from the original recording is more times than not, refreshing and originally creative. And mixing styles(i.e. country>reggae) can make a typically boring song stand out in the listeners mind. Being able to "paint outside of the lines" is, in my opinion, a blessing and not a curse.  Just remember that pleasing everyone in a room is damn near impossible. So as long as the performer is happy and satisfied with their music, more people than not are gonna share your feeling of elation.  Jam on!!!!!!!!!!!

Give everything but up.

I like to take those songs that people don't cover or play... The "not popular" ones, and play them into something better or change them to make them more like what I enjoy.
i.e.- Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros did a cover of "Quarter pound of I'cense" by Max Romeo that was just amazing compared to the original IMO.

Well thanks folks.  You've made me feel somewhat better.  I will keep not doing covers like covers, but I'm still thinking learning what a rest is for wouldn't hurt me any.  I don't recall who it was, but it was one of those mega-star '60s jazz musicians - "Learning when NOT to play says a lot more than what you DO play."  Something like that.  Terrible mis-quote I'm sure but the base concept is in it. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

You might be interested to know that the song has already been covered as a reggae version by Toots & The Maytals.

country roads is a great song for newbies

This may sound strange but my favorite movie since childhood is The Wizard of Oz. I have so far worked Over the Rainbow as a Reggae tune and was wondering how I could work other songs from this movie into diffeent styles o music. Any ideas ?

what a long strange trip it's been

Well, Over the Rainbow could be reworked as a Country Waltz too.  You could probably do a little Bluegrass finger-pick riff work with "If I Only Had a Brain."  It's a little too early and a little too long since I've watched Wizard of Oz to remember the other songs right now.

- Zurf