Re: NGDE

Since it seems like there's more and more of us going the 12 string route maybe we need to start our own Forum section so we can share do's and don'ts, tips, set-ups, songs and addiction systems. Just a thought.

Zurf, my 12 string plays easier than all my other guitars. All my 6 strings have 11 / 52 strings and been set-up for me by the same tech. My 12 string has 9 /42 - 9 / 26 strings
and the action is low. It is Soooooo easy on the fingers and a pleasure to play. It is actually easier to make barre chords ring true with the 12 string than my 6 strings. Here's a tip for you:

Do you fingerpick? Look closely at your strings. You'll notice that the octave strings all set even with the bottom of the other strings (E - A - D - G strings) A lotta finger pickers set up the nut  slots so all the strings even across the tops so its easier to get to them with your finger tips.

nela

Zurf, congrats on your NMGD (new martin guitar day)!!!!  I'll bet she sounds as good as she looks too! Hope you are friends for life and enjoy countless hours making music together.

I have had GAS for a 12,string for awhile now. Hoping some time this summer to make it happen. I'm still saving.

NELA, what a excellent idea,for a 12 string section!

hummin n strummin wrote:

NELA, what a excellent idea,for a 12 string section!

Agreed.

I got my first 12 string in, I believe it was '87. For the next 2 years that's all I played when I wasn't touring.  I could never bring myself to taking it on the road.

I just pulled it out a few weeks ago when I decided to sell a few guitars. I was evaluating which ones I was going to keep. Just couldn't bear to part with my first 12er. Being 25 years since I last played it, I had forgotten how much difference there is. I have some work to do. roll

So I'm looking at bone bridges so that I can preserve the factory one while playing with another one to lower the action.  I found a source that has Martin specific bridges of several sizes, but they don't look the same.  Any suggestions? 

At only a few dollars a piece, my first thought is to buy several possible blanks and sand 'til I get one to fit. 

After taking a straight edge to the neck, I don't think I'm going to get much out of it by reducing relief.  I don't want to go through getting a reset.  So...I'm going to jump on (not off) the bridge! 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Well, While your playing around with NOT playing it, smile  here's your first SONG project.

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.g … 18790.html

Not a B to be found. smile

Nope.  First song was Southern Cross.  Second song will be Sundown.  Getting the strumming pattern on that one is tough.  Jumping from G5 to G5/7 is not all that easy either.  It's going to take some practice.  Also, coming up with a decent intro arrangement when there are at least three very important parts and only one of me will be a fun challenge.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

That is one might fine looking guitar Zurf, but I think it is looking a little peaky. I am sure a long weekend in Florida next month will do it the power of good.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Zurf wrote:

Nope.  First song was Southern Cross.  Second song will be Sundown.  Getting the strumming pattern on that one is tough.  Jumping from G5 to G5/7 is not all that easy either.  It's going to take some practice.  Also, coming up with a decent intro arrangement when there are at least three very important parts and only one of me will be a fun challenge.

Back in the days when I played a Guild jumbo 12'er I learned a lot of Gordan Lightfoot songs from a book I bought that showed all the fingerings from his "Gord's Gold" album. For Sundown, the chords used were E5, B7sus4, A and D. The E5 was formed by barring the A,D and G strings on the second fret and using the little finger on the G string, 4th fret.  Moving to the B7sus4 was easy - just move the little finger over to the D string, 4th fret while still barring the A, D and G on the second fret.  If you want to play in G then I guess you could just capo up and use the same chord fingerings. You might want to try it buddy.

Instead of a 12er these days I just Nashville high-tune one of my git-fiddles.  Puts out a sound somewhere between a 12 string and a mandolin. Works real well when played along with other guitars played in normal tuning.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Zurf wrote:

Nope.  First song was Southern Cross.

What key are you using?

35 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-02-14 11:24:54)

Some favorites that I like to play on 12-string are:

"Over the Hills and Far Away" (Led Zeppelin)
"Wish You Were Here" (Pink Floyd)
"Kashmir" (Led Zeppelin)
"Bron-Yr-Aur" (Led Zeppelin)
"And You and I" (Yes)
"Supper's Ready" (Genesis)
"Entangled" (Genesis)

To me, these songs just don't sound right any other way, except obviously "Kashmir". The electric version is played with DADGAD tuning, but my 12-string version plays well in A with standard tuning and open chording.

Lovely looking guitar, Zurf!  Have fun with it... and um... add a few beers and all will be well!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

unclejoesband wrote:
Zurf wrote:

Nope.  First song was Southern Cross.

What key are you using?

A with no capo.

Dirty Ed wrote:
Zurf wrote:

Back in the days when I played a Guild jumbo 12'er I learned a lot of Gordan Lightfoot songs from a book I bought that showed all the fingerings from his "Gord's Gold" album. For Sundown, the chords used were E5, B7sus4, A and D. The E5 was formed by barring the A,D and G strings on the second fret and using the little finger on the G string, 4th fret.  Moving to the B7sus4 was easy - just move the little finger over to the D string, 4th fret while still barring the A, D and G on the second fret.  If you want to play in G then I guess you could just capo up and use the same chord fingerings. You might want to try it buddy.

Instead of a 12er these days I just Nashville high-tune one of my git-fiddles.  Puts out a sound somewhere between a 12 string and a mandolin. Works real well when played along with other guitars played in normal tuning.

DE

Thanks Soiled One!