Topic: ring finger knuckle

ANyone else have a hard time bending the ring finger knuckle backward enough to bar the "A" side chord while keeping the high E open.   My ring finger is so stiff that I end up using my pinky instead to do those barrs.  Iwas even considering surgery because I feel it is my road block to progress.

Re: ring finger knuckle

Hi,
Sorry to hear about your problem.

I don't suffer from what you describe but have had some problems. Which at the time I felt that I needed something drastic done.

But with time and practice plus exercise things became easier.

Your problem with The A chord is annoying for you. but using your pinky for the B string can be an advantage in some ways and not to restrictive. For moving up to the barred B chord it can be helpful. Also a tough pinky is not a bad thing to have.

Try to be positive and Goodluck

Regards

Ark

I have accepted that I mute the high E on A shape barre chords. Doesn't sound all that bad, I think.

keep trying as that high E should ring out. You could always play power chords instead but not for all styles.
Good luck

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

Yeah, I seem to have that problem too.  All the rest of my knuckles bend more than my ring finger.  However, I'm just starting to play, so I assume it'll get better with time, or I'll figure out another option (like the pinky).  If you can do the barre with your pinky, I don't think there's any roadblocks to your progress.  There may be some embellishments that you're missing out on, but if there's one thing I know about guitar (and I don't know much), there's always another way to do something.  You could try a different barre shape (C or G most likely), but it sounds like you'll do just fine if you can play it with your pinky.

Had the same problem. Try bringing your wrist forward, I've noticed that most of us tend to "hang" onto the neck at some time or another. Lift your elbow slightly and move your whole arm away from your body. Sounds more complicated than it is! Good luck!

I too, use my pinky on the B string.  I can't bend my knuckle that well, so using the pinky helped quite a bit.  You can also barre the A chord on the 5th fret, using the E chord shape as well.  This might help down the road.

arkady wrote:

Hi,
Sorry to hear about your problem.

I don't suffer from what you describe but have had some problems. Which at the time I felt that I needed something drastic done.

But with time and practice plus exercise things became easier.

Your problem with The A chord is annoying for you. but using your pinky for the B string can be an advantage in some ways and not to restrictive. For moving up to the barred B chord it can be helpful. Also a tough pinky is not a bad thing to have.

Try to be positive and Goodluck

Regards

Ark

A lot of people seem to have this problem. Your not alone.
Just keep practicing. The tendons in your finger will stretch and you'll get better. But you may never get the high E to ring clean. Even my guitar teacher can't and he's been playing for years. He doesn't worry about it.
How's the action on your guitar. Lowering it can help.