Topic: unwanted noise

I wonder if you guys can help me out.
While I'm playing my unplugged  acoustic guitar, not only do I get the annoying scratchy bass strings but also the noise from the palm of my hand shifting around the neck. Does anyone know of any product that will eliminate the unwanted noise.

KPR

Thick as two short planks

2 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-03-04 04:25:05)

Re: unwanted noise

There's several ways to make the neck of a guitar smoother, so sweaty palms aren't sticking & squeaking against the wood. I find the simplest solution is to spray a little Armour All on a soft cloth, and wipe the back of the neck once in a while. It's a water-based product, so no oils or thick films are going to gum things up.

My hands are so oily that once I've played a guitar for long enough, it's well oiled. I usually have to wipe the neck down after I play. That said, with a new guitar I have used lemon oil and lots of rubbing with a cloth to smooth out the neck in extreme cases I've used lemon oil followed by furniture wax and lots of rubbing with a cloth.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thank you for the advice. The problem didn't occur until a couple of months ago. Due to work patterns my guitar practice has been relegated to somewhere between  1 and 6 am.
I have to play a little softer to avoid waking people up, that's when I noticed the awful squeaking and scratching noise.
Thanks again for your advice.

Thick as two short planks